What if you don't want to put any money on your sign and sail card?

Some cruise lines have automatic tipping and he needs at least enough to cover that. it averages out to about $ 12.00 per day and a few bucks more if your in a suite.Why is he so reluctant to have money on his shipboard account ? What ever is not spent at the end of the cruise will be returned to him.

As a previous post stated - if he didn't pre-pay his tips they will be applied to his sign & sale card. Yes, you need that card to re-board the ship and to get off the ship at ports?

I can't imagine anyone not making some sort of purchase onboard the ship - soda, gifts, etc. But what do I know! LOL

Some cruise lines make a preliminary charge on your credit card to verify/hold funds that you may use during the cruise. I know for our upcoming HAL cruise they are charging $60 per day, per person on our card. So for our 7 day cruise there will be a temporary charge of $1680 on our card that will be released if not spent when we return. I'm not sure what they do when you are a cash customer.

I know you will have to either put cash as a "retainer" or give a credit card number for purchases. If you don't make any, then you get it back and you will not be billed for anything (this is on RC).

I feel the same way - even if it is for tipping the people who take care of you, you have to have something to pay for it with.

As a previous post stated - if he didn't pre-pay his tips they will be applied to his sign & sale card. Yes, you need that card to re-board the ship and to get off the ship at ports?

I can't imagine anyone not making some sort of purchase onboard the ship - soda, gifts, etc. But what do I know! LOL

The cruise lines require money, ATM card or CC at check in at the cruise terminal before you are allowed to board the ship. Not only is it for any charges incurred, including tips if not pre-paid, it also lets the cruise ship company collect if there are any damages. It is no different than a hotel or a resort. Even if you have pre-paid an "all inclusive" you still need to have a form of payment at check in.

I am also with the other posters- I cannot imagine spending no money at all. Those fruity drinks in mid afternoon are just tooo appealing. ;)

When checking in to board the ship your companion will be asked if he would like to use a credit card or see the concierge onboard. I would recommend you get him to prepay you the gratuities ($12.00/day) and you can actually pay those before you board. These gratuities will be paid regardless as at the end of the cruise your companion will receive a statement requesting payment of gratuities prior to being allowed to debark upon return. I prepay my gratuities by logging into my Carnival.com account and adding them to my total. You can also call Carnival and pay these over the phone. It allows me to pay for my entire vacation in advance.

Good luck, and happy cruising.

:D

We cruise on Carnival...Did he prepay his tips? Those are 11.50 per day.....I know you need to put atleast 50 dollars on your SS card if you pre paid your tips....my mother in law never spends anything....but she always pre pays her tip so her balance is always zero...she doesn't buy soda...gifts...nothing...she just eats and drinks whats included...and she buys her stuff in port....so it can be done with a zero balance

We always prepay tips when booking the cruise and we use our debit card on board for charges. Just remember to let your bank know you'll be out of the country, on our last cruise they put a hold on our account because we forgot to tell them. We got it squared away so better save than sorry I always say, atleast our bank was watching out for us. My motto is you're on vacation eat drink party & be merry!!!!!!!!!! If you have any left over $$$$ on your account they give you a check on departure, since we use a debit card we just deduct what we've used after the trip is over. Easy Peasy!!! Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
With Carnival you can link them with your sail and sign but assign them no charging privlages

Justt be aware that if the friend does not pre-pay the autotip, it will be charged to his account and from there to your credit card.

• 3 months later...

I have as you can see below been on many cruises. Several of them I did not put a sign/sail deposit of any type including debit/credit card. I prepay gratuities and do not drink soda. depending on the trip (who I am sailing with) is whether I even have a drink other than water/juice/tea. I bring my water jug and my crystal light packets and have a great cruise, without having to deal with an onboard account. Many lines will allow you to prepurchase onboard credit as well, so I have done that in the past.

If I decide I see something I want to purchase on the ship, I will then go down and put some money on my account to cover it. If not, I will still sail without putting money on. I don't have to drink to have a good time, and all meals are already covered, don't have to eat in a specialty to have a great cruise either.

I have as you can see below been on many cruises. Several of them I did not put a sign/sail deposit of any type including debit/credit card. I prepay gratuities and do not drink soda. depending on the trip (who I am sailing with) is whether I even have a drink other than water/juice/tea. I bring my water jug and my crystal light packets and have a great cruise, without having to deal with an onboard account. Many lines will allow you to prepurchase onboard credit as well, so I have done that in the past.

If I decide I see something I want to purchase on the ship, I will then go down and put some money on my account to cover it. If not, I will still sail without putting money on. I don't have to drink to have a good time, and all meals are already covered, don't have to eat in a specialty to have a great cruise either.

Out of curiosity, on what lines were you able to do this?

He sounds like a really fun guy, get out before you end up paying for his expenses. :rolleyes:
I would let him learn the hard way not to be so bull headed. You are not his mother Let him be embarrased but have a extra fifty on hand in cash

I like your style girl. Do they get nasty with you when you are signing onto the ship? What do they say?

I like your style girl. Do they get nasty with you when you are signing onto the ship? What do they say?

Not a problem, when filling out pre-registration I mark paying cash, when boarding they ask if I want to put a credit card I say no. Never hear another word about it from anyone.

Just this week my husband and I were on Vision of the Seas for 3 nights. First night was free drinks, so nothing to pay for anyway. Next morning we had to recheck in for the 2 night Public sailing, they asked if we wanted to add credit card... nope. At this point we had already decided we didn't want anything from the shops, and we had enough to drink the night before, and was spending the day at Sandals Tuesday and could drink free there all day. Later we decided to get the soda card for each of us, so we both signed up for it, and I went down and added $30 to our account. Woke up yesterday morning with a note that they owed me $0.10, and to visit guest services before 7am to settle. Yeah, you can keep the dime. I was just getting out of bed at 7am. We managed to get downstairs to line up to leave at 7:45 and the line at guest services was wrapped around the deck... yeah no. When checking off the ship at 8:15 they stopped me when it said I needed to settle my account, I showed him the paper that said they owed me, not me owing them, he checked with a supervisor and I was on my way.

Not a problem, when filling out pre-registration I mark paying cash, when boarding they ask if I want to put a credit card I say no. Never hear another word about it from anyone.

Just this week my husband and I were on Vision of the Seas for 3 nights. First night was free drinks, so nothing to pay for anyway. Next morning we had to recheck in for the 2 night Public sailing, they asked if we wanted to add credit card... nope. At this point we had already decided we didn't want anything from the shops, and we had enough to drink the night before, and was spending the day at Sandals Tuesday and could drink free there all day. Later we decided to get the soda card for each of us, so we both signed up for it, and I went down and added $30 to our account. Woke up yesterday morning with a note that they owed me $0.10, and to visit guest services before 7am to settle. Yeah, you can keep the dime. I was just getting out of bed at 7am. We managed to get downstairs to line up to leave at 7:45 and the line at guest services was wrapped around the deck... yeah no. When checking off the ship at 8:15 they stopped me when it said I needed to settle my account, I showed him the paper that said they owed me, not me owing them, he checked with a supervisor and I was on my way.

Just curious... how to you do the auto tip?

You are going to put some of YOUR cash on HIS card because he is too stubborn to put his money down. There must be something that the OP is not telling us.

Can we also assume that he is not going to tip and perhaps this is the reason that he does not want to put money down.

DON