Those "Chocolate" "mints" - Cutback

sailor44

You totally lost me on that one. :confused:

Nope, it's a box of eight items, just like those pictured above.

Several are a dark chocolate, so I'm guessing it might appear they are missing from the octet . . . but there are eight tasty items in the box.

Okay - guess time to clean the screen.

The chocolates aren't as good now.....Well that makes sense. I just thought somehow I had lost a little of my sweet tooth or had more restraint. Most of the candies we got just sat there piling up on a shelf on the last cruise - never before.

SMH...Upset over complimentary chocolates left on your freshly turned down bed, next to the towel animal and the next day's fun times? Boy, if that was all that I had to worry about in my world, life would be grand. IMO, I could care less wether or not they leave the chocolates because there are so many other treats to enjoy. :rolleyes:

I don't care whether they leave the chocolates or not.

What bothers me is that the quality of the chocolate has changed drastically. If you're going to provide chocolate then it should be good chocolate.

I would rather see a higher quality chocolate (Hershey's would be fine) offered in a bowl as you exit the dining room. Many people don't eat the chocolate and it's just a waste.

I think some of you have missed the point. I don't think the OP is complaining about something they have the choice to eat or not eat' date=' but I think they're simply making a comparison.

I loved the old candy. When I cruised last year I ended up with a bunch of them. Ate one and thought it was a bad piece...had another and the taste was the same. The chocolate squares no longer melt in your mouth; the chocolate has changed and so has the mint. I commented to those in my party and threw mine away. The OP just decided to share with everyone his/her thoughts.[/quote']

Yep

Of all the other stuff you can get to eat on board for "free", you complain about the chocolate? Alrighty!

It's not a complaint - just something I noticed and thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

Nothing is free. You pay for everything in your cruise fare and on board spend.

Edited by sailor44

I knew I forgot to take something out of my suitcase. In transit now and I hope the REAL chocolate pillow treats don't melt all over my suitcase. It looked like a few had escaped from the baggy.

Which cruise line were you on when you got REAL chocolates?

Oh, I can almost hear you say Carnival. How do you know they're real chocolate. They're possibly made in China and could have more melamine than anything else! :eek:

I don't care whether they leave the chocolates or not.

What bothers me is that the quality of the chocolate has changed drastically. If you're going to provide chocolate then it should be good chocolate.

I would rather see a higher quality chocolate (Hershey's would be fine) offered in a bowl as you exit the dining room. Many people don't eat the chocolate and it's just a waste.

It's not a complaint - just something I noticed and thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

Nothing is free. You pay for everything in your cruise fare and on board spend.

I'm still wondering which ship this was. I missed your review. And still wondering if this is the only cutback you noticed that you feel is worthy of mentioning.

Next thing will be complaining that the towel animals scare the kids.

It's been done. Very sad. :rolleyes:

I don't eat the chocolates myself, but bring them home for the curtain climbers. They're like Mikey... they'll eat anything. ;)

I'm still wondering which ship this was. I missed your review. And still wondering if this is the only cutback you noticed that you feel is worthy of mentioning.

The last ship we were on was Ecstasy and I didn't do a review.

This thread isn't really about cutbacks, just chocolate.

I never remember them being mint. Just a piece of chocolate.

We like them and ask our cabin steward for some extras to take home.

They have never been on our pillows. Usually with the towel animal on the bed or on the new copy of the fun times.

If I recall correctly, they used to leave the Andes mints, but that was over 15 years ago.

But what really freaked me out on my Fascination cruise in May, was turtles in the bathroom! :eek: I couldn't believe that the steward would leave candy in the dish with soap and the Breathwise samples. What's with that? WHO exactly eats candy in the bathroom?!?! I don't know if it is a only done in the grand suites or what, but eeewwww please don't ever put food in the bathroom even if it is wrapped.......

This thread reminds me of an episode of Friends where Monica Geller is given Mockolate to make desserts out of. Mockolate was a synthetic chocolate substitute.

Maybe those mints are made out of Mockolate. LOL

On our 1st few cruises they used to leave an Andes thin mint actually on the pillow. We took a few years break in cruising and when we started up again they had switched. Personally I think the ones they hand out now taste waxy.

Somebody in this thread made a crack about waking up with a chocolate smear on the face/pillow. I actually have a coworker that this happened to. She cruised on the Fantasy its 1st year here. She came back to work telling us about stumbling into her room in the dark and crashing in bed in the wee hours of the morning and waking up the next day with chocolate melted all over her hair and face and the pillow.

They used to also leave the funtimes etc on the desk. The only thing that was left on the bed was the chocolate and the towel animal. I actually preferred that. I just have a thing about stuff sitting on my bed. But its a little annoyance ... not enough to interfere with my cruise.

No, I liked the old ones just fine but wasn't sure if they were mint or not. The new ones are just awful.

I was on the Legend three years ago (don't know if those would be "old" or "new"), but they had various flavors. I don't remember them all, buy my daughter loved the cappuccino ones.

The quality of this chocolate is very poor and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't real chocolate.

I'm pretty sure they're not real chocolate.

We packed ours to take home and our dog must have found them while we were unpacking - she's only eleven pounds, ate fifteen "chocolates" and didn't even get sick.

Those nice wrappers are not very digestible as . . . (never mind, use your imagination). :eek:

In the interest of expanding our collective human knowledge (and because I didn't have anything better to do just then), I just took one for the team. I pulled out some of the Carnival 'chocolates' I've got in different Zip-lock baggies from different cruises from the fridge and conducted a very scientific taste test.:cool::p

No, I never really intended to collect these, it just kinda happened - we cruise a couple times a year, the stewards always leave us way too many, DH and I don't really like them, and our kids do. So I bring them home and put one into each of their lunchboxes every now and then. But we don't let them eat candy that often, so the 'chocolates' have hung around.

As you can see, I still have two different 'batches' of the old style chocolates, in the silver wrapper. And a batch of the new, "Sweet Dreams" wrapper style.

newcamera524.jpg

After my very scientific, official taste testing, I can attest to the fact that not only has the wrapper on the 'chocolates' changed, but so has the 'chocolate' itself.

The old style is firm - it snaps a little when bitten into to. And it has a mild minty flavour in addition to the chocolate flavour.

The new style has no detectable mint flavour, and a less 'chocolatey' chocolate flavour than the old style. And there is no snap when biting into it, it's just kind of squishy. It seems less dense, overall.

My family had all noticed this change on our last cruise, when tasting the new style chocolates while still 'fresh'. All of the chocolates seem to have held up to storage in the refrigerator with no noticeable change in quality or taste. One thing can be said for these candies - they sure are shelf-stable.:cool:

My official, very scientific conclusion is that the current Carnival 'chocolates' are indeed one of the Carnival cutbacks of recent years. The quality does indeed seem to be less than it once was. Most likely, it is cheaper.

My personal feelings are: although this is probably a cutback, it's not one that matters to me. I didn't really like the old chocolates that much. And, as I said, we don't let our kids eat much candy. Strangely though, I'd still rather have them than not. When I found out that this was one of RCI's recent cutbacks - that they will no longer have chocolates on the beds at night, even in suites, I was slightly disappointed. Odd, I know.:o

So this is my contribution to this pressing question plaguing mankind (or at least Carnival cruiserkind). Don't say I never did anything for ya.:cool:

In the interest of expanding our collective human knowledge (and because I didn't have anything better to do just then), I just took one for the team. I pulled out some of the Carnival 'chocolates' I've got in different Zip-lock baggies from different cruises from the fridge and conducted a very scientific taste test.:cool::p

No, I never really intended to collect these, it just kinda happened - we cruise a couple times a year, the stewards always leave us way too many, DH and I don't really like them, and our kids do. So I bring them home and put one into each of their lunchboxes every now and then. But we don't let them eat candy that often, so the 'chocolates' have hung around.

As you can see, I still have two different 'batches' of the old style chocolates, in the silver wrapper. And a batch of the new, "Sweet Dreams" wrapper style.

newcamera524.jpg

After my very scientific, official taste testing, I can attest to the fact that not only has the wrapper on the 'chocolates' changed, but so has the 'chocolate' itself.

The old style is firm - it snaps a little when bitten into to. And it has a mild minty flavour in addition to the chocolate flavour.

The new style has no detectable mint flavour, and a less 'chocolatey' chocolate flavour than the old style. And there is no snap when biting into it, it's just kind of squishy. It seems less dense, overall.

My family had all noticed this change on our last cruise, when tasting the new style chocolates while still 'fresh'. All of the chocolates seem to have held up to storage in the refrigerator with no noticeable change in quality or taste. One thing can be said for these candies - they sure are shelf-stable.:cool:

My official, very scientific conclusion is that the current Carnival 'chocolates' are indeed one of the Carnival cutbacks of recent years. The quality does indeed seem to be less than it once was. Most likely, it is cheaper.

My personal feelings are: although this is probably a cutback, it's not one that matters to me. I didn't really like the old chocolates that much. And, as I said, we don't let our kids eat much candy. Strangely though, I'd still rather have them than not. When I found out that this was one of RCI's recent cutbacks - that they will no longer have chocolates on the beds at night, even in suites, I was slightly disappointed. Odd, I know.:o

So this is my contribution to this pressing question plaguing mankind (or at least Carnival cruiserkind). Don't say I never did anything for ya.:cool:

Reviews on the choclate mints....I love it