Cruising with a foreign exchange student. Need help!

arkansasboy

We are considering a cruise in September but we will have an exchange student so I am curious what the rules/laws are concerning this. We use the International Student Exchange(ISE) and I have been unable to find any information on this topic.

I'm assuming that the student is a minor. The student will need to travel on his/her passport and must obtain any visas that a citizen of their country must have. (For example, U.S. citizens may be able enter country A on a cruise without a visa, but citizens of the student's country may need a visa to do so.) Check the entry requirements of each country you plan to visit on the cruise.

Next, you will need to have the documentation necessary to travel with a non-related minor child. You may have read some threads where the posters claim they were never asked for this documentation, but the Customs and Border Protection agents have a right to ask for it as well as the immigration officers in foreign countries. You do not want to be lacking these documents!!! They should be both signed and NOTARIZED.

The best website I have found explaining what documents you need is the following: http://www.freewebs.com/docdiva/minor%20travel%20consent.pdf

In addition to these documents, you will need a signed, notarized statement from the parent(s) allowing you to authorize medical treatment for their minor child. I suppose this was given to you when you became the sponsor of the exchange student, but if not, you should get it now.

Finally, you should rely only on official government websites for your information, e.g. CBP, foreign governments, State Department, etc. Don't rely on what the cruise lines tell you (or even what I tell you.) VERIFY!

We also always bring our exchange students on our cruises. It's a great way for them to 'see' other countries. Have used ASSE, World Heritage, IES and AYA exchange groups. They will come with a J-1 Visa that allows them re-entry as a student. The exchange organizations will ask you to send it to them once the student arrives. If you will cruise in September- don't send. You will need it. Then the only difference is that your student may need to meet with US Customs around 6:30 AM on debarkation day. Also- the new ESTA regulations may apply-depending on what country your student is from. I've been told the ESTA paperwork will be handled by my exchange organization. You better check with yours, though.

Did have a bit of trouble with our 1st student getting back into the USA- but only because World Heritage never sent her J-1 Visa back to me and I didn't know any better. They took her off the ship (I wasn't allowed to go)! Returned her a few hours later- took years off my life... Customs couldn't reach the ex. org. so had to go 'prove' she was legally in the country once back in Denver.

Our newest student (our 7th) is from Germany and due in on August 9th. We cruise in January. Where is yours from?

I always get a notarized letter to travel with them, also. Have them bring one instead of trying to mail one after. You may run out of time.

Edited by Twinswithtwins

We are considering a cruise in September but we will have an exchange student so I am curious what the rules/laws are concerning this. We use the International Student Exchange(ISE) and I have been unable to find any information on this topic.

Feb 05, DW and I took son, daughter, and FE student from Indonesia to MX. Visited local MX consulate for visa, not sure that made a difference. While checking in, Carnival was only interested in paper given student that reflects "last date" of entry allowed into US. Of course, we had no idea and sent neighbors to our home to search for said immigration paper.

Long story short, we were allowed to board when a facsimile of the required paper with date arrived at embarkation.

Hit me up by email and I can share our photos of this once in a lifetime...

• 1 year later...

We are traveling with a student from Germany. She has her passport and J-1 Visa.

It's my understanding this is all she will need for re-entry.

I was told I need to send "a form" to the exchange agency and they will sign it.

Is there anything else I should do? We are cruising to Mexico from Texas.

Edited by brekin67
Spelling error

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are traveling with a student from Germany. She has her passport and J-1 Visa.

It's my understanding this is all she will need for re-entry.

I was told I need to send "a form" to the exchange agency and they will sign it.

Is there anything else I should do? We are cruising to Mexico from Texas.

Would love to hear how your cruise (process) went! I am taking our 2: boys from Japan and Spain in January, just now getting everything together.

• 1 year later...

We did take our boys (Japan amd Spain) from Galveston to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico. We sent their DS 2019s (J-1, not sure the form for F-1) to the exchange organization and they gave the approval (2nd signature) to leave the country and return. However they did not even look at it when we came back through. I would certainly not leave without getting your organizations approval and written consent. Oh, the cruise line did require us to have letters from their natural parents allowing us to take them. But again, never actually checked them.

Amy

We did take our boys (Japan amd Spain) from Galveston to Jamaica, Cayman Islands, and Mexico. We sent their DS 2019s (J-1, not sure the form for F-1) to the exchange organization and they gave the approval (2nd signature) to leave the country and return. However they did not even look at it when we came back through. I would certainly not leave without getting your organizations approval and written consent. Oh, the cruise line did require us to have letters from their natural parents allowing us to take them. But again, never actually checked them.

Amy

Thank you. I already spoke to agency they told me about signature too. Ok then I am good. I also called all the embassy asking if I need special permission thaey all said no. I dont want anything to go wrong.

We had an AFS student from Italy in '96 and when he asked his parents to sign a release letter, they did not understand why. Not sure what he told them since we don't speak Italian. They called their AFS representative and we received a call from the head office in the US. Never received a real explanation of what his parents were questioning but it seemed to take forever to get their permission. So, my advice is to start early, which it looks like you are doing.

Good luck and have a great time.