RideLondon 3-4 August 2013

We have discussed this cycle event before, but I see much more detail on routes and affected areas is now available on the TfL website. Sunday 4th is particularly bad over large swathes of London -I have seen it described as some of the most disruptive traffic closures ever, partly because the closures will be in for most of the day (there is a mass public ride followed by a professional race out to Surrey and back).

More details here, but if you are planning to use road transport into London that day, I would suggest you make sure your provider has a plan for this and expect lengthy delays.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/27647.aspx

This is one of the most useful and well timed posts I have ever found on Cruise Critic!

We are arriving at Heathrow on August 4th around 8:30 AM and need to get to our hotel which is between Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. This places our hotel in the center of the bike route and cars will not be allowed to cross the route. We had arranged for transport by private car and have now emailed the company to see if there are any "work-arounds".

We assume that most likely the best plan will be to make the transfer by the Tube. We will have a lot of luggage and would like to understand the difficulties in making the trip from Heathrow to Victoria Station. One of us is unable to lift the luggage due to a medical condition, but we can both roll the luggage since it is on wheels. Here are a couple of questions:

• Are there any stairs to get from LHR T-1 to the Tube?
  • Do all the tube stations have elevators or are there stairs we would need to climb with the luggage?

Thanks so much for alerting us to this issue in London on our arrival weekend! It is much better to be able to plan ahead to deal with these new constraints to our plans. Hopefully we can make it to our hotel in time to enjoy "making lemonade" and see the end of the race!

May I suggest you also speak to your hotel, who should have a better idea of how they will be affected, but at the moment I don't see a way to get into the 'pocket' between the outbound and inbound routes for most of that day.

There are no stairs at LHR tube stations, but Victoria does have stairs from the District and Circle line platforms and from ticket hall to street (and is currently undergoing massive construction work).

• 3 weeks later...

I would appreciate some comments on our latest plans to get from LHR to our hotel, which is near the Royal Mews, on the morning of August 4th. We will each have one large suitcase and one small carry-on. I am unable to lift luggage due to a medical condition, but I can roll it. The hotel has not been responsive with any suggestions.

Most likely the best plan is for us to plan to take the Tube as opposed to trying to make it to our hotel by private car transfer. One private car company said that they would get us as close as possible to our hotel, but I surmise that will be much further away than the closer Tube stations. Another private car company said they would just take another road if some roads are closed, but I believe all the roads will be closed.

Hyde Park Corner, Green Park, and Westminster are fairly close to our hotel, but are all located on the race course and there may be some restricted access and large crowds, so we assume it is best to avoid those stations. We plan to terminate at Sloane Square which has an escalator to exit to the street.

Thus we will take the Piccadilly line from LHR to Hammersmith which has a level interchange between eastbound District line toward Upminster and eastbound Piccadilly line toward Oakwood. We will exit the district line at Sloane Square and take our luggage up the escalators. It will then be a 20 minute walk to our hotel. I believe the route is flat. Please confirm.

Are there apt to be any Black Cabs at Sloane Square on the 4th?

Is my assessment reasonable or is there a better way for us to get to our hotel?

I hope for both the racers and us that the weather that day is not a scorcher! ;)

It's a real tricky one, because I don't think anyone really knows how it will work. I can't work out how coming in by vehicle from LHR you would get in to the "noose" formed by the course, which you can't cross.

Your plan seems to be best of a bad job. There may well be black cabs operating inside the area, and it seems as if they could get along Eaton Square and in to the Buck House area for you. I'm not sure if there is a rank at Sloane Square tube, but there are usually plenty in the Square to flag down. If not, it is a pretty flat walk, but crossing various side streets, of course.

I just checked the National Express website as Victoria Coach station is closer to your hotel. They say:

Please be aware, that due to the Prudential Ride London cycling event on Sunday 4 August, our coaches will be following diversions so your journey time may be extended by around 30 minutes. If your journey is time-specific please take this into account when planning your day.

So looks as if they have a way to get in and that may be your best bet. Perhaps email them to see what they have to say?

It's a real tricky one, because I don't think anyone really knows how it will work. I can't work out how coming in by vehicle from LHR you would get in to the "noose" formed by the course, which you can't cross.

Your plan seems to be best of a bad job. There may well be black cabs operating inside the area, and it seems as if they could get along Eaton Square and in to the Buck House area for you. I'm not sure if there is a rank at Sloane Square tube, but there are usually plenty in the Square to flag down. If not, it is a pretty flat walk, but crossing various side streets, of course.

Cotswold Eagle,

You have been so helpful!

One more question: To make a level transfer from the eastbound Piccadilly line to the eastbound District line, which station is preferable - Hammersmith (apparently there is some construction, but it may only be for platform to street access), Barons Court, or Earl's Court?

I very much appreciate all your help!

I can't see anything about construction at Hammersmith, but if it affected the walk across the platform (it is literally about 20 feet) they'd probably have to close the station. You'll be able to see when you get there or just use Barons Court.

Do NOT use Earl's Court, the Piccadilly has gone deep by then and the transfer is a pain.

I can't see anything about construction at Hammersmith, but if it affected the walk across the platform (it is literally about 20 feet) they'd probably have to close the station. You'll be able to see when you get there or just use Barons Court.

Do NOT use Earl's Court, the Piccadilly has gone deep by then and the transfer is a pain.

Thanks again. You have helped me so much!

I am contacting National Express now, but the Tube still may be a more reliable option on August 4th.

Just bumping this one up to remind everyone that London's roads are going to be a nightmare this weekend, especially Sunday....

I drove in and out of London at the weekend and I have never seen so many advance warning signs for the disruption (other than for the Olympics). It is also top story on the London paper's website today, as there are fears people are underestimating the disruption.

I have just planned a journey from Heathrow to Victoria taking into account the road closures (using an online travel planning site) and it comes up with a very convoluted route through Hammersmith, so I assume it is possible, but there will be significant delays.

If you are using a transfer service, please ensure they are aware of the potential problems.

Cotswold Eagle,

Thank you so much for this information!

We are meeting up with some American cruisemates who disembark Eclipse on Saturday and head for Kensington, London so that we can show them the sights on Sunday- should be fun:eek:.

It looks to me like there are two ways into the Victoria area by car: under the Hammersmith Flyover and over the tunnel at Hyde Park Corner. The former route is a little more direct and a little less likely to be crammed, but although I'm pretty sure traffic will be able to get through both, it's going to be very slow.

It looks to me like there are two ways into the Victoria area by car: under the Hammersmith Flyover and over the tunnel at Hyde Park Corner. The former route is a little more direct and a little less likely to be crammed, but although I'm pretty sure traffic will be able to get through both, it's going to be very slow.

Do you have a link to the information as to which roads will be open on the 4th?

I have been considering taking the Tube to either Sloane Square or Hyde Park Corner. I had thought that the route over the tunnel at Hyde Park Corner would be closed to vehicle traffic and had given up traveling by private car hire.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/27647.aspx

According to the City of Westminster details, Hyde Park Corner will be closed.

... but they also say local access will be maintained. I'm moderately sure this means you can get through from Park Lane to Grosvenor Place.

Either way, you can get under the Hammersmith Flyover and wend your way through the back streets of Fulham.

... but they also say local access will be maintained. I'm moderately sure this means you can get through from Park Lane to Grosvenor Place.

Either way, you can get under the Hammersmith Flyover and wend your way through the back streets of Fulham.

Yes, not really clear what local access from Hyde Park Corner means. The maps aren't much help - the route is shown as red (closed), then everything near it in blue (affected), but no real detail on how the nearby streets are affected (presumably no access to/from the route and parking restrictions, but who knows).

I'd still be tempted to get on National Express from LHR, with a long book to read!

I agree - the maps suggest the entire central London area will be affected. Everywhere will be so crowded - more than 120,000 cyclists plus their supporters:eek:

I have just received this from the Big Bus Tour - in case anyone was planning to do this on Sunday 4th. August.

"We strongly recommend choosing another day to travel with us as most of our tour will be unavailable due to road closures and the resulting traffic is a nightmare."

Looks like walking will be the best option.

Thank you very much for all of the updates on this event. I sent 3 e-mails yesterday to the various places we're doing business over the weekend and all but one said that the bike race would vastly change our plans. We have back-ups now and are completely prepared.

This is the type of event I would avoid like the plague, but having made these plans so many months ago, we didn't have a clue. Because of the extra attention from you locals, we're comfortable with everything.

Thank you very much for all of the updates on this event. I sent 3 e-mails yesterday to the various places we're doing business over the weekend and all but one said that the bike race would vastly change our plans. We have back-ups now and are completely prepared.

This is the type of event I would avoid like the plague, but having made these plans so many months ago, we didn't have a clue. Because of the extra attention from you locals, we're comfortable with everything.

That's great. London is so vast it usually swallows large events without much problem, but this is unusual in the extent and duration of the disruption. I hope you have a fantastic time nonetheless :)

Archived