Is is SAFE???

aggie_gal

We're booked to go to Belize on the January 19 cruising of the Magic. We're taking our 3-year old with us (he'll be almost 4) and my husbands parents...between 55-60. Reading the threads regarding armed guards and the poverty has me terribly concerned about our safety, especially our 3-year old! The excursion we're looking at doing is an independent, but picks up right at the port. (we're looking at cave tubing with .bz)

Either reassure me we're doing the right thing or telle me to call my PVP and see if I can change my reservation!! AUGH!

Just don't go wandering the streets outside the port area on your own...

Now booking an indepedant excursion versus a ships excursion in Belize is a personal call.

Most of the independent excursions recommended on this forum will have no problems, 364 out of 365 days of the year.

Safety on the independent excursion isn't the main thing. (once you are out of the city, there shouldn't be any problems.)

It is the chance of the excursion having a tire blowout on the way back, etc.. and missing the ship.

A ships excursion they will wait for you or pay to get you to the next port to meet the ship.

If your independent excursion has a problem, it is up to you to get to the next port.

I have booked independent excursions at every other port I have ever been to. (Progresso, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Freeport, St. Thomas, St. Martin, etc..)

One time in Belize was enough to teach me to not mess around and book only ship tours there. (Belize is the one country (crusing wise, I never want to get stuck in)

Good luck whatever you decide to do..

Bill

I am not wild about Belize, but we did an independent tour in April where we had to walk outside the gate, and had no problems whatsoever as far as safety goes. I talked to some locals a bit while we were waiting ,and walked back and forth a couple of times without an issue. I had read all the scary posts, and as far as my experience, none were true.I think you need to be careful wherever you are anyway. Have fun and don't worry if you can help it.

The other morning I was at the doctors office here in Jacksonville Florida and on the TV was a commercial "BuyBelize.com". They want folks to come live and buy property in Belize. Go to the website and check it out.

The other morning I was at the doctors office here in Jacksonville Florida and on the TV was a commercial "BuyBelize.com". They want folks to come live and buy property in Belize. Go to the website and check it out.

But that property isn't in Belize City:eek: Probably in San Pedro or south around Placencia. Nevertheless, most of the fearful reports on this board are related to the somewhat aggressive excursion hawkers just outside the Tourist Village where the tenders dock. Unlike Jamaica, also known for it's aggressive (and rude) hawkers, most Belizeans will leave you along after a polite "no thanks". Once you are past the Toursist Village, there aren't any more hawkers. Now on the way out of Belize city to cave tubing or ruins etc. you will have to pass through some very poor areas. But you want be stopping there and people don't go attacking buses or taxis. Stops in the country side, if any, are fairly benign.

Thanks all! I guess as mom it's my job to worry. :rolleyes:

We're looking at cave tubing with the .bz company that several have posted about on here. They have a section on the website to cruise ships and appear to be very conscious of the time table we have. Any reason we shouldn't go with them??

Thanks all! I guess as mom it's my job to worry. :rolleyes:

We're looking at cave tubing with the .bz company that several have posted about on here. They have a section on the website to cruise ships and appear to be very conscious of the time table we have. Any reason we shouldn't go with them??

They get good reviews. I'd just make sure it's only cave tubing not cave tubing zip line which are in two different venues. We've seen buses from vendors that go zip lining first then cavetubing (not sure which vendor) arriving at the cave tubing site (same general parking for all vendors) as we were leaving the cavetubing parking lot after tubing the longer route and having lunch. A bit late in the day we thought.

You will be fine with .bz. They are great. They are constantly monitoring the time. They have very nice equipment and comply with all the safety guidelines. We really had a great time with them. As far as going outside the gate - you will be fine also. We do mission work in this area and just going outside the gate and boarding a bus is fine.

Was there last week. Had no problems walking outside the gate as we walked to the water taxi and went to Caye Caulker for the day on our own. We enjoyed some of the people that we met that day and just say no thank you and you will be ok.

No worries. You are booked with a reputable company and they take good care of you.

If you are interested in reading my reviews from our experiences with .bz (we have been twice), you can find them both in my signature line. :)

I've never felt unsafe in Belize. Poverty doesn't always mean unsafe. Belize City can be a bit run down, but outside the city it's a wonderful place. My safety concern would be that cave tubing probably wouldn't be a great tour for a 3 year old. There's a water crossing that was waist deep on me (I'm 5'2") and you had to hold on to a rope to get across so it would be tough to carry a small child. Even though you wear life jackets - can your 3 year old swim well should it come off? The water in the caves is 90 feet deep in spots. There's also a hike involved carrying inner tubes. It was about a 20 minute walk. We hike regularly and thought it was a pretty easy walk but other folks have told me they thought it was tough (some stairs and hills involved.)

I'm not trying to discourage you - I love Belize and cave tubing is one of my all time favorite excursions, but I don't know that I'd do it with a child that small. 7 or so would be the earliest age I personally would consider and only if they are a strong swimmer.

I just wanted to add that the first time we went, our daughter was 3 years old and she loved it. This second time, she was 5 years old.

As for the water you cross, it would all depend on the weather and time of year you go. We went in September the first time and it had been raining for days. The water was a little high that day and when it came time to cross the water, the guides carried my 3 year old across with no problems. This last time, it was December and the water was VERY low and she walked it herself (it just came up above the ankles).

Only you know your 3 year old and what type of personality they have, tolerance, or what they are capable of doing. I do tend to think I have an "extremist" for a daughter. She does every single thing we do as adults...by self, from cavetubing, ziplining, snorkeling, swimming with the rays, dolphins, manatees. She has done it all and all by herself (she insists) and she can hike and go for hours with no problems. However, my grandson is the same age, but 3 months younger, and after awhile, he wants to be carried and bores easy. So...only you know whether your child could be capable of this excursion.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun. :)

Was there last week. Had no problems walking outside the gate as we walked to the water taxi and went to Caye Caulker for the day on our own. We enjoyed some of the people that we met that day and just say no thank you and you will be ok.

Would you mind sharing the name of the water taxi, and where it is located? Also, can you rent chairs, eat, etc., once you are at Caye Caulker? Thanks so much!

You walk out through the terminal exit which is located to your left as you get off the ship tender. Once you go outside the iron gates , turn left , and go just a short piece , then turn left into an area with some offices and shops. The water taxi station is at the far end on your right. It is very easy to find, and any local there will direct you , and it is not far at all. Hope this helps..Click on the link below for schedules..

Would you mind sharing the name of the water taxi, and where it is located? Also, can you rent chairs, eat, etc., once you are at Caye Caulker? Thanks so much!

http://guidetobelize.info/en/travel/belize-water-taxi-timetable-guide.shtml

We were in San Pedro Belize on our own and stayed at a very reputable hotel and they used .BZ for our day tour back on the mainland!! Our tour guide was awesome and we had a great tour!!

Archived