Anyone recently cruised with just a green card?

iloveGESUS

• 2 years later...
Hi cruisers!

We have a huge group going on the Breeze in 1/4/2014. One of the group members is not a citizen and only has a valid green card. He came here as a refugee and does not have a passport from his birth country (Thailand). I have contacted the Thai embassy but they won't issue him with a passport because he's considered "stateless." I have done hundreds of searches on the internet regarding this issue and have read so many different scenarios, advices, etc from people saying he should get a passport (I'm not sure how though) and those who said they've sailed with just a green card with no problems. I even confirmed with three Carnival PVPs that he will be okay to travel with only his green card and driver's license. Has anyone recently sailed with just a green card? Did you have any issues with boarding? Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Julie

I know it's been a long time but gonna try to ask and see if you can see it ..

Did your friend end up going? Did he get on? Any extra info would be helpful since I have a friend in a similar situation. Thanks

I know it's been a long time but gonna try to ask and see if you can see it ..

Did your friend end up going? Did he get on? Any extra info would be helpful since I have a friend in a similar situation. Thanks

With the recent executive orders, your friend may have to consult an immigration lawyer after receiving the OP's update. JMHO.

My wife is not a citizen, and I was told by Carnival on one call that she is actually sailing on the green card, not on her passport (Canada).

However, in this uncertain time, I agree with those who say that you should check with an immigration attorney, customs/DHS, and find out what the requirements are for the ports on the cruise.

Although this is an old post, the "green card" will get you back into the US without a problem. It is not, however, a travel document recognized by many other countries, such as the Caribbean Islands.

The best information will come from the various countries' consulates, not DHS, not CBP, and certainly not CC.