Anyone recently cruised with just a green card?

iloveGESUS

I know when I was a green card holder before citizenship, I cruised using the green card a few times, but I don't know that I would be brave enough to try as a refugee. The loss is too great to be worth it. I would ask USCIS first. No offense intended to anyone, but some things are more important than a cruise.

I have been cruising with my green card for years now, but, the only person ever asking for it is the immigration officer upon return and then he asks for it together with my passport.

At the Carnival check-in desk, all I have ever been required to show is my passport.

At the time of online check-in on the carnival website, you are asked to enter a passport number and a permanent resident card ID . Maybe try to do a mock online check-in and see if there is a stateless category under nationality ?

The best advice seems to have been given , expert advice is needed as there are too many variables involved. Several people are concerned with different issues at different times. Carnival asks for a passport to ensure that you can visit the countries on the cruise. An immigration officer will ask for proper documentation to remain in the US upon return. The issue of stateless-ness makes this even more complicated. Good luck

The green card is used as proof of residence status. The passport is required by the countries you visit. My husband has Australian Citzenship, a US green card and an Australian passport.

When we were on a Panama Canal cruise, we went ashore and rented a car in Costa Rica. We got stopped at a road block and my husband showed them his US drivers license and green card. They laughed at him and said "We want your passport." We did not have them on us, but I did have a copy of both of ours in my wallet and gave it to them. They told us they could detain us for not having our "proper papers" with us. We were able to talk our way out of it, but without copies of our passports, I don't think we would have been so lucky. We could have been detained longer and missed getting back to the ship on time.

It has been a rigorous process to get him first a fiance visa, then a temporary green card and we just got his 10 year green card and are waiting one more required year for his citizenship. The USCIS is NOT a forgiving agency. You mess up anything in your process and your toast.

We had to cancel our honeymoon cruise due to USCIS rules. Once we were married, he was not allowed to leave the country until his adjustment of status from fiance visa to residents was granted. That process took six months. Had we gone on the cruise, he would have been deported at the port upon arrival.

Please advise your friend to be very careful and to weigh the benefits of the cruise against the possible consequences. Yes, we had to cancel the honeymoon cruise, but as soon as he got his green card, we scheduled another one.

Good luck to your friend and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

A green card or ARC card as it is called now superceeds a passport. If your friend has the refuge papers or any other papers when he first entered the country I would bring those as well.

You're kidding right? There is not any other country that gives a darn about a green card OTHER than the US. Why would they?? This isn't about re entry into the US. Its about other countries allowing him in.

I'm Canadian and live here on a green card (wife is American) and I've taken one cruise with just my green card and birth certificate proving my Canadian citizenship. It's a little late now but given the fact he came here as a refugee and obviously has no intention of returning to Thailand I'm curious as to why he hasn't just naturalized thereby avoiding all these hassles. I agree with others here that given the risks I'd take a nice vacation at the beach somewhere rather than leaving the country. As stated many times above, a green card only confers rights within the US. It is NOT a travel document. You might as well wave a McDonald's gift card as ID in a foreign country as your green card.

Relative to the fees involved with getting a green card to begin with the price for actual citizenship is pretty reasonable. And the benefits of peace of mind and not being stateless... Priceless.

Just my .02 and worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I am so greatful to find this thread as it gives me some hope of getting valid info. My DF obtained a US Refugee Travel Document for a cruise to Bermuda this September. It is our understanding that US refugee passport holders do not need visas to travel to british territories (Bermuda) do to some special agreement for refugees. Has anyone traveled to bermuda recently using their US refugee travel document only? We are more than stressed about this issue and have been given the run around by government agencies. Ant help would be so very appreciated.

I am so greatful to find this thread as it gives me some hope of getting valid info. My DF obtained a US Refugee Travel Document for a cruise to Bermuda this September. It is our understanding that US refugee passport holders do not need visas to travel to british territories (Bermuda) do to some special agreement for refugees. Has anyone traveled to bermuda recently using their US refugee travel document only? We are more than stressed about this issue and have been given the run around by government agencies. Ant help would be so very appreciated.

Thank you again to all those who responded! You guys brought up a lot of good points and I truly appreciate them.

I'm going to be venting for a bit here...I've been going back and forth with Carnival, USCIS, CBP, Homeland Security, and the Grand Turk, DR, Aruba, and Curacao consulates...it has been frustrating! Carnival told me to contact Homeland Security and USCIS, who then told me to contact CBP. CBP told me that he will be okay to board with his valid driver's license and green card but I should check with my cruise line to make sure they will let him board. I got really confused because I thought CBP makes the call. :confused: I then called Carnival again and was told to go back to CBP because they're the ones who either deny or approve boarding. Ultimately, both Carnival and CBP told me he will be okay as far as the US is concerned but I should contact the consulates for each port we will visit to see what their requirements are. I emailed and called all the consulates again. I believe he will be okay in Grand Turk and DR but Aruba and Curacao are the ports I'm having difficulties finding information for. I got an email reply today for Curacao saying a passport isn't required for cruise passengers since they're considered "in transit" and will be there for less than 24 hours, however I should email the local government to see what they say (btw, the email didn't even work...just my luck!). I also called the Curacao consulate in DC twice and received two different answers. One rep said he needs a passport to cruise there...PERIOD. Another rep said he doesn't. SIGH. I wish people will get their information together! It sounds like no one really knows what the heck they are talking about! So frustrating and stressful!

To answer one of the posters' questions regarding why he doesn't get naturalized since he has no intentions of returning to Thailand...it's because his entire family just renewed their green cards in 2011 so they decided to keep the green cards for a few years before getting naturalized since it would mean more money spent. I just suggested to him that he should get his citizenship so he can get a passport. However, with just a little over 5 months until the cruise, I don't know if he will have enough time to do all that. He said that if we don't hear back from the Grand Turk, DR, Aruba, and Curacao consulates with concrete answers, he will just cancel the cruise and stay back. Final payment isn't due until October and he can cancel without penalties until then.

I completely understand your stress and frustration level with this issue. I, too, have been given the run around with the government agencies. I've been doing so much research about this and still haven't found solid answers. While doing my research, I came upon an immigration forum (visajourney) and was advised to get a US Refugee Travel Document. However, one of the reps I spoke to at the Curacao consulate was so stern about him having a passport. I'm not much help to you since I'm seeking similar answers as yourself but I wish you the best of luck! If you go through with it, please report back so I'll know for future reference. :)

IloveGESUS,

Your friend may not be a Thai citizen I've never heard of Thai refugee only other nationalities who crossed over Thai border and were detained in refugee camp set up by Thai government and later on making over to the US as refugees, that's why he and his family could not get passport from Thailand or their own country, indeed they are stateless!

Edited by Trnkk

Hi cruisers!

We have a huge group going on the Breeze in 1/4/2014. One of the group members is not a citizen and only has a valid green card. He came here as a refugee and does not have a passport from his birth country (Thailand). I have contacted the Thai embassy but they won't issue him with a passport because he's considered "stateless." I have done hundreds of searches on the internet regarding this issue and have read so many different scenarios, advices, etc from people saying he should get a passport (I'm not sure how though) and those who said they've sailed with just a green card with no problems. I even confirmed with three Carnival PVPs that he will be okay to travel with only his green card and driver's license. Has anyone recently sailed with just a green card? Did you have any issues with boarding? Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Julie

You can request a refugee travel document from the USCIS, this is normally given to those who cannot obtain a passport from their own country but who are in the US legally, it looks like a passport but is green instead of blue, it is form I-131. it will cost you about $500 you can read more about it here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b11747a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

You can request a refugee travel document from the USCIS, this is normally given to those who cannot obtain a passport from their own country but who are in the US legally, it looks like a passport but is green instead of blue, it is form I-131. it will cost you about $500 you can read more about it here http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b11747a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Thank you for the link! :) But...WOW...that's a lot of money!:eek: I think he is better off adding another $180 and getting his citizenship.

Thank you again to all those who responded! You guys brought up a lot of good points and I truly appreciate them.

I'm going to be venting for a bit here...I've been going back and forth with Carnival, USCIS, CBP, Homeland Security, and the Grand Turk, DR, Aruba, and Curacao consulates...it has been frustrating! Carnival told me to contact Homeland Security and USCIS, who then told me to contact CBP. CBP told me that he will be okay to board with his valid driver's license and green card but I should check with my cruise line to make sure they will let him board. I got really confused because I thought CBP makes the call. :confused: I then called Carnival again and was told to go back to CBP because they're the ones who either deny or approve boarding. Ultimately, both Carnival and CBP told me he will be okay as far as the US is concerned but I should contact the consulates for each port we will visit to see what their requirements are. I emailed and called all the consulates again. I believe he will be okay in Grand Turk and DR but Aruba and Curacao are the ports I'm having difficulties finding information for. I got an email reply today for Curacao saying a passport isn't required for cruise passengers since they're considered "in transit" and will be there for less than 24 hours, however I should email the local government to see what they say (btw, the email didn't even work...just my luck!). I also called the Curacao consulate in DC twice and received two different answers. One rep said he needs a passport to cruise there...PERIOD. Another rep said he doesn't. SIGH. I wish people will get their information together! It sounds like no one really knows what the heck they are talking about! So frustrating and stressful!

To answer one of the posters' questions regarding why he doesn't get naturalized since he has no intentions of returning to Thailand...it's because his entire family just renewed their green cards in 2011 so they decided to keep the green cards for a few years before getting naturalized since it would mean more money spent. I just suggested to him that he should get his citizenship so he can get a passport. However, with just a little over 5 months until the cruise, I don't know if he will have enough time to do all that. He said that if we don't hear back from the Grand Turk, DR, Aruba, and Curacao consulates with concrete answers, he will just cancel the cruise and stay back. Final payment isn't due until October and he can cancel without penalties until then.

Julie,

With all due respect...

The answers you are seeking do not lay within Carnival or CBP or Homeland Security etc. I thought this was pretty clear but I guess not.

To say that you only have 5 months to do this for your friend seems quite strange considering you asked these same questions over 3 years ago, for then, your fiance. Do you think the answers will be different this time?

Do you think his stateless status has changed or that foreign government laws have changed re visiting? It would appear from your old posts your fiance didnt take that cruise either. So why you think this time would be different I'm really not following.

You continue to say you think he will be fine. So then why don't you just take that risk and find out. I will unequivocally state that there is not a foreign country you visit who will care what you think or what you heard or what you were told. These are foreign governments. With THEIR laws, for THEIR reasons.

Time is money, and the time you spend on all this emailing and calling all these different places that cant help ...well...what's the cost for actually getting him the right document?

Your friend/fiance does not want to spend the money to become either a Citizen or obtain the required travel documents?? The answer is simple then...don't travel.

Those are the options...get the right paperwork, or do not leave the country or leave the country and accept all risks.

Last time I said I did not wish to sound harsh, and this time I suspect I do sound harsh. So be it. To not want to spend $180 or $500 dollars to be able to travel freely says to me that person shouldn't be travelling then and I wouldn't waste any more time on this issue.

Continuing to post on a cruise forum seeking advice from others who know very little about your situation, (and those that do you seem to ignore), smacks me of either stubborness or an unwillingness to learn/listen.

If its reassurance you want that you can do this...you've gotten it. If its reassurance you want to not do this....you've gotten it. If it's help with where to seek information....you've gotten it. Take your pick. That's what you will get here...free advice and opinions. None of it will matter if you only hear what you want to hear.

I completely understand your stress and frustration level with this issue. I, too, have been given the run around with the government agencies. I've been doing so much research about this and still haven't found solid answers. While doing my research, I came upon an immigration forum (visajourney) and was advised to get a US Refugee Travel Document. However, one of the reps I spoke to at the Curacao consulate was so stern about him having a passport. I'm not much help to you since I'm seeking similar answers as yourself but I wish you the best of luck! If you go through with it, please report back so I'll know for future reference. :)

I so relate to you and have come to realize from getting different answers that even the people in charge don't know the answers when it comes to immigration. Thats not really that bad since no one should be expected to have all the answers, however, the problem is that they will give you an answer even when they are not sure, tending to convey a cookie cutter response that is generic and not relevant to my situation. As a US citizen I am ashamed of the service America offers to its immigrants. I would had never believed or been aware of the lack of quality customer service were it not for trying to help a friend and mistakenly thinking this should not be that difficult. I will certainly post what happens in our situation in hopes that it may help another here. Thanks for your reply.

Julie,

With all due respect...

The answers you are seeking do not lay within Carnival or CBP or Homeland Security etc. I thought this was pretty clear but I guess not.

To say that you only have 5 months to do this for your friend seems quite strange considering you asked these same questions over 3 years ago, for then, your fiance. Do you think the answers will be different this time?

Do you think his stateless status has changed or that foreign government laws have changed re visiting? It would appear from your old posts your fiance didnt take that cruise either. So why you think this time would be different I'm really not following.

You continue to say you think he will be fine. So then why don't you just take that risk and find out. I will unequivocally state that there is not a foreign country you visit who will care what you think or what you heard or what you were told. These are foreign governments. With THEIR laws, for THEIR reasons.

Time is money, and the time you spend on all this emailing and calling all these different places that cant help ...well...what's the cost for actually getting him the right document?

Your friend/fiance does not want to spend the money to become either a Citizen or obtain the required travel documents?? The answer is simple then...don't travel.

Those are the options...get the right paperwork, or do not leave the country or leave the country and accept all risks.

Last time I said I did not wish to sound harsh, and this time I suspect I do sound harsh. So be it. To not want to spend $180 or $500 dollars to be able to travel freely says to me that person shouldn't be travelling then and I wouldn't waste any more time on this issue.

Continuing to post on a cruise forum seeking advice from others who know very little about your situation, (and those that do you seem to ignore), smacks me of either stubborness or an unwillingness to learn/listen.

If its reassurance you want that you can do this...you've gotten it. If its reassurance you want to not do this....you've gotten it. If it's help with where to seek information....you've gotten it. Take your pick. That's what you will get here...free advice and opinions. None of it will matter if you only hear what you want to hear.

Yes, I did inquire about this three years ago for my then fiancé but he ended up not going so I have no idea how it would've played out. I'm trying to help a friend out this time around. I don't know if anything has changed since then. But, as I stated before, I started this thread in hopes of hearing from cruisers who have been through it recently.

Spending $680 to get naturalized and then another $135 for a passport may not seem like a lot of money to some people but not everyone has that kind of money. My friend is in his early 20s so he definitely doesn't have a lot of disposable income, especially considering the fact that he's already spent roughly $800 on the cruise and plane tickets will be another $380. It's not just a matter of not wanting to spend that money but also not having that kind of money, which is why he said he will cancel the cruise if we don't get concrete answers from the government agencies.

When I started looking into this and reading everything I could find on the web, I encountered a lot of threads written by people with similar issues but the OPs often time didn't come back to update...leaving me curious of what the outcomes of those situations were. I continued to post in this thread not because I'm "stubborn" or am "unwilling to learn/listen" but in hopes that this will help others in the future if they ever come across a situation similar to this. I put a lot of time and effort in researching this because I just want to help a friend out. And you're right, you were harsh!

Edited by iloveGESUS

I so relate to you and have come to realize from getting different answers that even the people in charge don't know the answers when it comes to immigration. Thats not really that bad since no one should be expected to have all the answers, however, the problem is that they will give you an answer even when they are not sure, tending to convey a cookie cutter response that is generic and not relevant to my situation. As a US citizen I am ashamed of the service America offers to its immigrants. I would had never believed or been aware of the lack of quality customer service were it not for trying to help a friend and mistakenly thinking this should not be that difficult. I will certainly post what happens in our situation in hopes that it may help another here. Thanks for your reply.

I completely agree with you. I had no idea it would be this difficult to find out the answers. I wish you and your friend the best of luck! I hope you all will be able to get on that ship and enjoy your cruise. :)

We are cruising in September and my husband only has a green card we are going to Grand Turk, Dominicana Republic, Curacao and Aruba. So if you want email me in September after the 15th and I will let you know if there were any problems. But in 10 years of cruising not every year we have never had a problem.

We are cruising in September and my husband only has a green card we are going to Grand Turk, Dominicana Republic, Curacao and Aruba. So if you want email me in September after the 15th and I will let you know if there were any problems. But in 10 years of cruising not every year we have never had a problem.

Thank you! :) I would love to email you in September and see how things went for you and your hubby. I was going to send you a private message with my info but I couldn't figure how to do it. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this will help, But from experience. I traveled on Disney wonder to the Bahamas in Oct. 2010 an Royal Caribbean Oasis Of the Sea to the Caribbean in Oct. 2011. The only traveling Document I had was my new green card with the 10 year expiration date on it. Had no problems boarding and going to the different ports off the ship. The CBP at port Canaveral Fl didn't ask me for a passport. Just my green card going and coming home. I am traveling again in January 2014 with just my green card. As long as it's a closed loop cruise he will be ok. Just don't get in trouble or miss the ship at port, cause he can't fly home with out a passport no exceptions!

• 8 months later...
Don't know if this will help, But from experience. I traveled on Disney wonder to the Bahamas in Oct. 2010 an Royal Caribbean Oasis Of the Sea to the Caribbean in Oct. 2011. The only traveling Document I had was my new green card with the 10 year expiration date on it. Had no problems boarding and going to the different ports off the ship. The CBP at port Canaveral Fl didn't ask me for a passport. Just my green card going and coming home. I am traveling again in January 2014 with just my green card. As long as it's a closed loop cruise he will be ok. Just don't get in trouble or miss the ship at port, cause he can't fly home with out a passport no exceptions!

How did it go this past January? I'm going on a 5 day in May with only my GC, just wondering if I'll have problems boarding the ship at Jacksonville, FL port with only a green card. Any info helps, thanks!!

Just wanted to see how it went with the Green Card, I will be traveling in a few weeks on a GC and wondered what to expect.

Just wanted to see how it went with the Green Card, I will be traveling in a few weeks on a GC and wondered what to expect.

The countries you are traveling to may require a citizen of your native land to have a passport, so you might want to check into that.

We traveled in September and also in January, 2014 and we had no problems with just the green card leaving or entering the United States. We didn't have any problem on any of the Islands we went to. As long as you go and come from the same port there should be no problem. Enjoy your cruise.