Birth Certificate

JennyB20

I think the continuing confusion can be attributed to many people thinking an original birth certificate is the one and only birth certificate issued at birth. Therefore any other birth certificate issued by a government agency would indeed be "a copy".

I think the continuing confusion can be attributed to many people thinking an original birth certificate is the one and only birth certificate issued at birth. Therefore any other birth certificate issued by a government agency would indeed be "a copy".

The cruise lines are the ones that allow the confusion by not providing clear guidance, CCL does the best job in this regard.

I don't get the reluctance to bring the originals of the birth certificate. It's just complicating things to try to figure out ways of bringing "copies." Most likely you're not going to lose it (how many times have you lost your drivers' license -- in nearly 40 years of driving, I've only lost one, after getting stopped for an illegal turn, and somehow after the cop went on to his next ticket, I didn't get mine back, but was able to get a replacement within a couple of weeks), but if you get home without it, order a new one.

When my daughter was 3 and going on her second cruise, we got her a passport. I like having that photo ID for her when we travel. The next time hers gets renewed, it'll be for an adult one.

I don't get the reluctance to bring the originals of the birth certificate. It's just complicating things to try to figure out ways of bringing "copies." Most likely you're not going to lose it (how many times have you lost your drivers' license -- in nearly 40 years of driving' date=' I've only lost one, after getting stopped for an illegal turn, and somehow after the cop went on to his next ticket, I didn't get mine back, but was able to get a replacement within a couple of weeks), but if you get home without it, order a new one.

When my daughter was 3 and going on her second cruise, we got her a passport. I like having that photo ID for her when we travel. The next time hers gets renewed, it'll be for an adult one.[/quote']

I think the reluctence probably stems from a concern of identity theft if the originals are lost or stolen. I think the original is probably the best document to have but it is important to remember that a copy will work also- I have read many stories of vacations being saved because a birth certifcate was faxed to the port or the passenger had a copy saved to a personal electronic device which could be printed.

Archived