Breakaway fare went lower NCL only offered 30% reduction

klitch

My wife and I are booked on the Breakaway leaving on September 1st. Our cruise is obviously paid for at this point. Shortly after we paid in full NCL dropped the price per person by $250.00. when I called NCL to ask for a reduction they told me that they could only offer $75.00 each in on-board credit.

I'm kind of pissed that they wouldn't give us the full $250.00pp. I think it's bad business especially because this is our first time cruising with NCL. It's not the way to make a customer happy about there first experience with your line. For reference, we cruise twice per year and the lowest accommodations that we ever get is a balcony room. On this particular cruise we're in a Haven Spa Suite. So it's not like we aren't already spending a bunch of money, but this is less about the money and more about the customer service than anything. Honestly if they would have offered $125.00 I wouldn't have complained at all.

I think what I'm most upset about is that I wrote an email about this to Kevin Sheehan and haven't even gotten any kind of response. In my dealings with RCCL (who I cruise with most of the time) they at least acknowledge that you've sent them an email and reply quickly saying that they are looking into the matter.

In any case, here is the email I sent them, maybe someone can let me know if I should be sending the email to another party within NCL:

Gentleman, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read this email. My wife and I are currently booked to depart on The Breakaway on September 1st with reservation number XXXXXXXXX. We are very excited about this cruise as it is our first time sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines and The Breakaway looks to be a fantastic experience. It is not however our first time cruising, we cruise twice per year at the minimum.

When we booked this cruise the price per person was $2831.71. Recently I looked at the prices of the same stateroom that we have booked and apparently those prices have come down to $2581.71. I called the NCL customer service to find out if they would be able to either refund money for the difference of the price or perhaps give an on-board credit for the difference. To my dismay they told me that the could only give an on-board credit of $125.00 total, only $75.00 per person. I was sure it was a mistake and asked the person I spoke to reconsider, but they said that they were only authorized to give $125.00.

When cruising with other lines we have found that when prices change they are very accommodating and have always matched the lower prices either in on-board credit or by changing the price of our stateroom.

I'm very surprised that NCL would only offer a 30% reduction when other cruise lines offer the full difference when prices change like this. I expected that the level of service would at least be equal to what I have gotten in the past from other cruise lines.

I'd like for you to reconsider and give the full $500.00 difference in on-board credit rather than $125.00 that we have already been given.

If you have any questions, or would like to speak with me regarding this matter please contact me at your earliest convenience.

It's completely normal for cruise line to drop prices to fill the ship after final payment if cabins are not sold out.

You have agreed to a contract on specific price and cancellation terms - if the price had risen since you booked, you wouldn't be willing to pay the difference either, would you?

One has always the option to book as late as possible in hopes of lower price and take risk of getting left to the shore.

My wife and I are booked on the Breakaway leaving on September 1st. Our cruise is obviously paid for at this point. Shortly after we paid in full NCL dropped the price per person by $250.00. when I called NCL to ask for a reduction they told me that they could only offer $75.00 each in on-board credit.

I'm kind of pissed that they wouldn't give us the full $250.00pp. I think it's bad business especially because this is our first time cruising with NCL. It's not the way to make a customer happy about there first experience with your line. For reference, we cruise twice per year and the lowest accommodations that we ever get is a balcony room. On this particular cruise we're in a Haven Spa Suite. So it's not like we aren't already spending a bunch of money, but this is less about the money and more about the customer service than anything. Honestly if they would have offered $125.00 I wouldn't have complained at all.

I think what I'm most upset about is that I wrote an email about this to Kevin Sheehan and haven't even gotten any kind of response. In my dealings with RCCL (who I cruise with most of the time) they at least acknowledge that you've sent them an email and reply quickly saying that they are looking into the matter.

In any case, here is the email I sent them, maybe someone can let me know if I should be sending the email to another party within NCL:

Gentleman, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to read this email. My wife and I are currently booked to depart on The Breakaway on September 1st with reservation number XXXXXXXXX. We are very excited about this cruise as it is our first time sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines and The Breakaway looks to be a fantastic experience. It is not however our first time cruising, we cruise twice per year at the minimum.

When we booked this cruise the price per person was $2831.71. Recently I looked at the prices of the same stateroom that we have booked and apparently those prices have come down to $2581.71. I called the NCL customer service to find out if they would be able to either refund money for the difference of the price or perhaps give an on-board credit for the difference. To my dismay they told me that the could only give an on-board credit of $125.00 total, only $75.00 per person. I was sure it was a mistake and asked the person I spoke to reconsider, but they said that they were only authorized to give $125.00.

When cruising with other lines we have found that when prices change they are very accommodating and have always matched the lower prices either in on-board credit or by changing the price of our stateroom.

I'm very surprised that NCL would only offer a 30% reduction when other cruise lines offer the full difference when prices change like this. I expected that the level of service would at least be equal to what I have gotten in the past from other cruise lines.

I'd like for you to reconsider and give the full $500.00 difference in on-board credit rather than $125.00 that we have already been given.

If you have any questions, or would like to speak with me regarding this matter please contact me at your earliest convenience.

This same concern comes up repeatedly.

Norwegian does not have an "Early Saver" guarantee. They only offer a 48 hour guarantee on pricing but usually do adjust prices up to final payment, even though they are not obligated to do so.

After final payment all bets are off and any adjustments are a bonus, not a right.

If the price had gone UP would you be willing to pay more?

Again, I do understand your frustration. Also, why would you escalate such a problem straight to the CEO?

Is that how your place of business does things? I might have tried supervisors first...

Regardless, I hope you have a great trip...

This same concern comes up repeatedly.

Norwegian does not have an "Early Saver" guarantee. They only offer a 48 hour guarantee on pricing but usually do adjust prices up to final payment, even though they are not obligated to do so.

After final payment all bets are off and any adjustments are a bonus, not a right.

If the price had gone UP would you be willing to pay more?

Again, I do understand your frustration. Also, why would you escalate such a problem straight to the CEO?

Is that how your place of business does things? I might have tried supervisors first...

Regardless, I hope you have a great trip...

I did try supervisors and the response was "that is all we are authorized to offer."

Again, my biggest problem is that I haven't heard anything from them. The money would be great but more importantly a little courtesy "hey we got your email, and we'll see if there is anything we can do." would have gone a long way to letting me know what kind of outfit they are.

I did try supervisors and the response was "that is all we are authorized to offer."

Again, my biggest problem is that I haven't heard anything from them. The money would be great but more importantly a little courtesy "hey we got your email, and we'll see if there is anything we can do." would have gone a long way to letting me know what kind of outfit they are.

Well, actually my work has an "Ask the CEO" page and you'd think they would respond when you send in a question but they don't. The question either ends up on the home page or goes unanswered...sometimes I get the feeling I have a 6 inch file stamped "do not respond", lol, so I do understand the frustration.

Norwegian isn't obligated to refund the difference after final payment. You obviously purchased the cruise at a price you thought was fair, otherwise you wouldn't have made the final payment. It was nice of NCL to offer you a $75/pp OBC as a courtesy.

You might have better luck if you called NCL asked for an upgrade to a nicer category. Since prices have dropped, you might get into a better category for a modest upcharge that may be worth far more than any $75/pp OBC. Looking at your sailing you might get into the Haven Penthouse Balcony which is a larger room for less AND it includes $300 OBC offer. See if you can work with that.

Also, IMO, it's not a CEO's job to respond to individual passenger complaints about a something that already covered in the passenger contract. Your letter has likely been forwarded to Guest Relations and in queue under a pile of other letters. Last time I wrote, it took a few months to respond but I did get a nice thought out response and not your typical form letter. So I wouldn't wait until the last minute and instead see what you can get now by calling and escalating through their call center before you lose the opportunity for a nice upgrade.

First...The booking agent (whether PCC or TA) that was used should be persuing any pricing adjustment as part of the service that they are being paid to deliver. No guest should be doing this on their own, and certainly not through the CEO. I don't know when the CEO's job description was altered to mean "Complaint Department". :rolleyes:

Second...Totally agree with the point made above: If the price was raised, would you put this much effort into paying the additional cost?

Lastly...The cruise lines (not just NCL) need to align their pricing policies like they do with the kids club...once the date has passed, no further adjustmets. Period. It is just a losing battle to give something when you don't have to... only to be complained about because it "isn't enough".

You got $150 OBC when NCL was not obligated to give you anything. I think you came out a winner here.

We always book very very early and in our experience more times than not the prices have gone up. I'm glad we don't have to pay the going price as the cruise gets close. Just saying............... I agree NCL was obligated to give you nothing and you made out well.

This is very common and happens all the time. They are trying to fill the ship being so close to sailing. My last NCL Epic cruise went down $600 and we were paid in full. We got $180 OBC.

I was thankful.

There are pros and cons to booking early (mostly pros)

Pros: You get pick of the litter for cabins and suites

You have a substantial time to pay off your cruise before sailing.

You can take advantage of OBC or other specials from the cruise line

You dont have to pay in full at time of booking

Cons: If the price drops after final payment, you are not entitled for the difference. You may get an upgrade IF available or get some additional OBC

Even if you are not paid in full, you get slim pickings on available cabins or potential upgrades IF available.

You and NCL agreed on a price. You were happy with it. They were happy with it. If they did not lower the price, you were still happy with it. If they raised the price, you would scream bloody hell if they tried to raise YOUR price.

You made a deal. It is done.

The fact that they want to do a fire sale for the final bunch of cabins does not mean they should reduce the rates for everybody. If they did that, they would not bother to sell those cabins at a discount and would just leave them empty. It would be bad business logic.

And, if enough cabins are empty, then they raise the rate of future cruises.

It is a simple business.

I am so sick and tired of people saying it is bad business. It would be bad business to give 3,000 passengers a few hundreds dollars back.

Hello?

You are a tough crowd. I understand both points of view. As a consumer we have the right to pursue any avenue to secure any savings. I might not choose to escalate to a CEO but this poster certainly has the right to do so. At minimum any complaint to a CEO or anyone at NCL so be acknowledged...within 48 hours of receipt. It is just good customer service. NCL relies heavily on returning customers and every opportunity to impress the customer should be pursued. It does not mean that NCL has to give every customer everything they want but it does mean that they should respond in a fair consistent manner to every customer. They cannot afford to lose a single customer to complacency or lack of responsiveness and the CEO should be demonstrating leadership by being the most responsive.

To me and it seems to the original poster this is not so much about the money but more about the attitude.

I have never had the need to escalate anything to NCL but if I did and it was to the CEO I would expect a response from him or from someone in his organization and fast. And in my opinion there is no issue too small for the CEO to be involved in. As a long term front line Customer Service Executive, I expect that my CEO would want to be involved and put in a place a process for dealing with Customer Complaints. There is no better way to measure the pulse of the Customer! Great Customer Service happens when it is a priority of Senior leadership!

You are a tough crowd. I understand both points of view. As a consumer we have the right to pursue any avenue to secure any savings. I might not choose to escalate to a CEO but this poster certainly has the right to do so. At minimum any complaint to a CEO or anyone at NCL so be acknowledged...within 48 hours of receipt. It is just good customer service. NCL relies heavily on returning customers and every opportunity to impress the customer should be pursued. It does not mean that NCL has to give every customer everything they want but it does mean that they should respond in a fair consistent manner to every customer. They cannot afford to lose a single customer to complacency or lack of responsiveness and the CEO should be demonstrating leadership by being the most responsive.

To me and it seems to the original poster this is not so much about the money but more about the attitude.

I have never had the need to escalate anything to NCL but if I did and it was to the CEO I would expect a response from him or from someone in his organization and fast. And in my opinion there is no issue too small for the CEO to be involved in. As a long term front line Customer Service Executive, I expect that my CEO would want to be involved and put in a place a process for dealing with Customer Complaints. There is no better way to measure the pulse of the Customer! Great Customer Service happens when it is a priority of Senior leadership!

Sure, they have a right to ask for a reduced price. Griping because it ain't gonna happen won't get a lot of sympathy around these parts.

Norwegian isn't obligated to refund the difference after final payment. You obviously purchased the cruise at a price you thought was fair, otherwise you wouldn't have made the final payment. It was nice of NCL to offer you a $75/pp OBC as a courtesy.

You might have better luck if you called NCL asked for an upgrade to a nicer category. Since prices have dropped, you might get into a better category for a modest upcharge that may be worth far more than any $75/pp OBC. Looking at your sailing you might get into the Haven Penthouse Balcony which is a larger room for less AND it includes $300 OBC offer. See if you can work with that.

Also, IMO, it's not a CEO's job to respond to individual passenger complaints about a something that already covered in the passenger contract. Your letter has likely been forwarded to Guest Relations and in queue under a pile of other letters. Last time I wrote, it took a few months to respond but I did get a nice thought out response and not your typical form letter. So I wouldn't wait until the last minute and instead see what you can get now by calling and escalating through their call center before you lose the opportunity for a nice upgrade.

Unfortunately they told me that they can't do upgrades.

That's a pretty bad response time don't you think? I mean, I'm not expecting really anything at this point, but a few months seems really poor to me.

You booked and paid a price that you were happy with?

And now you're not?

Move on. This will give you ulcers, nightmares and coronary event.

you're missing the point, I'm mostly unhappy at their lack of getting back to me, at the end of the day it's a few hundred dollars that already spent, but just respond that's all i'm asking.

Also, why shouldn't i try to get the best deal I can? If you knew they would give you money back why not call and ask for it? It seems foolish not too.

Sure, they have a right to ask for a reduced price. Griping because it ain't gonna happen won't get a lot of sympathy around these parts.

Not looking for sympathy, more or less I was looking for advice and if other people had been through the same situation.

I wouldn't even have posted here if they had at least gotten back with me, that's the real problem.

You and NCL agreed on a price. You were happy with it. They were happy with it. If they did not lower the price, you were still happy with it. If they raised the price, you would scream bloody hell if they tried to raise YOUR price.

You made a deal. It is done.

The fact that they want to do a fire sale for the final bunch of cabins does not mean they should reduce the rates for everybody. If they did that, they would not bother to sell those cabins at a discount and would just leave them empty. It would be bad business logic.

And, if enough cabins are empty, then they raise the rate of future cruises.

It is a simple business.

I am so sick and tired of people saying it is bad business. It would be bad business to give 3,000 passengers a few hundreds dollars back.

Hello?

you missed the most important part, can they at least get back with me? Had had they sent me a note saying "hey sorry we can't do anything" i wouldn't even be here posting, but they can't even do that.

Let Kevin Sheehan work on real issues.

that's silly, just because you think my issue is insignificant doesn't mean that a CEO of a company in the service industry will agree. While this issue may be minute in comparison to other issues that they deal with on a regular basis i disagree with how dismissive this statement is.

Well, I feel for the OP.

The last 2 years I tried to advance book a party of 3 at a specialty restaurant on the Pearl. The unanswered emails and promises of phone calls got very old. This year I checked and they still haven't figured out how to allow people to book an odd number of people so I just avoided the issue and hopefully there will be space available when I board. So I agree, a little common courtesy would be nice. If you tell the customer you're going to do something, then just do it. Seems like customer service 101. Oh well, they have a somewhat captive audience so I guess it's not a priority.

18 days till Alaska (with or without Teppanyaki one night!!) Woohoo!

I must say that I rarely participate in cc discussions...for some reason this one has hit a nerve with me. A busy week at work and I am cranky!

I am passionate about Customer Service..I have made a good living being a Customer Service Professional.

I am able to put the actual issue aside. We can debate that for a long time. However, once this issue was escalated, this customer was owed a response. Anything less in my opinion, is not putting the customer first and therefore an NCL service failure!

That being said most of the time NCL gets it right....but not this time. Two months and no response is simply not acceptable....no matter what the issue!

I must say that I rarely participate in cc discussions...for some reason this one has hit a nerve with me. A busy week at work and I am cranky!

I am passionate about Customer Service..I have made a good living being a Customer Service Professional.

I am able to put the actual issue aside. We can debate that for a long time. However, once this issue was escalated, this customer was owed a response. Anything less in my opinion, is not putting the customer first and therefore an NCL service failure!

That being said most of the time NCL gets it right....but not this time. Two months and no response is simply not acceptable....no matter what the issue!

Honestly, had they called, emailed or texted, regardless of the answer, i probably wouldn't be on here complaining. So thank you for understanding that part.

I'm kind of pissed that they wouldn't give us the full $250.00pp. I think it's bad business especially because this is our first time cruising with NCL.

So...here you say that you noticed the price had dropped, called NCL, and were offered a $75pp OBC that you were not contractually entitled to.

I would call that an immediate response. I would call that good customer service...as we all know, you got something you weren't entitled to.c

Then you say you were ... and I quote: "pissed that they wouldn't give us the full $250pp". Now you are claiming in multiple posts above that the reason you are so upset isn't the money, but the time it has taken to get back to you. Honestly....which is it?

With a sail date of 9/1, you are only now at 60 days until you cruise. That means final payment was just over 2 weeks ago....I don't understand why you've waited "a few months" when it has only been a MAX of 15 days.

Archived