Allure of the Seas Complete Guide!

Me too! Love the flow rider but guides no longer let you barrel roll. Not sure why ...

Some lawyer in Miami has been making a cottage industry suing RCI for Flowrider injuries. Some lady broke her foot, and that was the final straw. Seems like a very stupid policy to me, as we sign comprehensive waivers and they can simply put up a big sign saying that any tricks are done at your own risk. I have been on the Allure twice and many other RCI ships.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zhhbf5&s=7

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zfjpjp.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k3xh5s&s=6

Since the policy change they have allowed me to ride drop-knee, but the only real trick they let me do is 360, but you can do it prone, on your knees, or drop-knee. However, IMO those three tricks are significantly harder than most other tricks, so it is very challenging for most cruisers to do any tricks at all.

• 2 weeks later...

wildcat guy (kentucky fan in cincinati. would have thought bearcat. lol) we love marshall but in our younger days once slept out on the street for midnight maddness for UK when they won national championship against syracuse.

anyway, I have read of Pinel island at st maarten and had considered this. could you give a bit more info on finding your way to the ferry to the island ie. walk or taxi. have you done orient beach? we are considering palm beach. we really want a relaxed atmosphere, good beach chairs, shade (red head DH), drinks and a beautiful view. would pinel island fit this plan. is the trek over and back worth it?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
wildcat guy (kentucky fan in cincinati. would have thought bearcat. lol) we love marshall but in our younger days once slept out on the street for midnight maddness for UK when they won national championship against syracuse.

anyway, I have read of Pinel island at st maarten and had considered this. could you give a bit more info on finding your way to the ferry to the island ie. walk or taxi. have you done orient beach? we are considering palm beach. we really want a relaxed atmosphere, good beach chairs, shade (red head DH), drinks and a beautiful view. would pinel island fit this plan. is the trek over and back worth it?

thanks

Huge UK fan. Have multiple degrees and season basketball and football tickets. Went to the 2012 NCAA title game in New Orleans. Awesome.

We went to pinel island on a prior trip to St Maarten. It is a cute tiny little island a few hundred yards from the main island. We took a cab past orient beach to get there. Beware the topless ladies if you have kids. Our teens did ok with it (surprisingly). Snorkeling is good as are the burgers. Not much to do there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Did you find your cabin getting too warm in the middle of the night I been reading a lot of this.

On the lunch buffets what did they offer, my niece just got off the Explorer and said it was very limited and the food was only ok.

There is a lot if variety on the lunch buffet in the windjammer. Food is good but not great. Been on two newer celebrity ships and layout is the same but food seems better for some reason. Celebrity also has stir fry stations and cooks to order. RC does not. Best food IMO on the boat is in the Central Park restaurants obviously, but also the free Park Cafe. Breakfast sandwiches, salads and roast beef sandwiches are very good.

I really like our cabins cold and generally they were at night. I had ours both on coldest setting at all times. Pull your curtains closed when out of the cabins during the day. Also, if your balcony door is open the ac automatically shuts off.

Some lawyer in Miami has been making a cottage industry suing RCI for Flowrider injuries. Some lady broke her foot, and that was the final straw. Seems like a very stupid policy to me, as we sign comprehensive waivers and they can simply put up a big sign saying that any tricks are done at your own risk. I have been on the Allure twice and many other RCI ships.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zhhbf5&s=7

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zfjpjp.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k3xh5s&s=6

Since the policy change they have allowed me to ride drop-knee, but the only real trick they let me do is 360, but you can do it prone, on your knees, or drop-knee. However, IMO those three tricks are significantly harder than most other tricks, so it is very challenging for most cruisers to do any tricks at all.

I'm a lawyer (corporate not ambulance chaser) and have seen the website including videos on flow rider lawsuits. Most of the injuries are on the stand up boards and understandably so. IMO it would be hard to get seriously injured on the boogie boards even on one's knees or barrel rolling. Of course, there are waivers signed anyway which should protect RC, but I represent companies that settle cases even with waivers because of bad publicity and the fear of the wheelchair plaintiff in the courtroom and what image that leaves with a jury who wants to blame someone for the injury.

Thanks for the review; it got us even more excited about an upcoming Allure cruise!

I just wanted to mention a couple changes to policies since your cruise. They have changed the smoking policy so there is no longer smoking on balconies. Also, the new drink packages do include the cup that can be used at the freestyle machines; I believe it is included with any package that includes soda.

I love seeing how RCI listens to feedback and adjusts!

Ok, I tried to post a Member Review, but it will not work, so here goes. I tried to cover almost everything, but fire away on any questions you have. We just returned on June 30 - party of 11 - ages 6-70. Eastern Caribbean. Enjoy!

Rooms

We have stayed in 12550 and 12552 on both Allure and Oasis. The rooms are identical but the are connecting. It is nicer IMO to have two bathrooms and a larger balcony (and some privacy) than to have a larger suite for 4 people. It is also cheaper. Rooms are workable, balconies are nice size and give the impression that the cabin is larger than it is, and the beds are very comfortable (and I'm picky). The pillows could be a little more robust.

These rooms are very quiet. They are two floors down from the sundeck and you hear nothing. And, there are cabins below and above you, so no nightclub noise. The rooms are incredibly well-sealed from sound; equivalent to the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Of course, they can always be larger, especially the closets!

The small coffee table is basically just "in the way" and could be removed altogether. The minibar is useless if you have the soft drink and/or liquor packages, because cans and bottles in the fridge are not included. If you buy a water package (a case of Evian), just remove the minifridge items and replace with your purchased items.

Food

We all thought the food was much better this year on Allure than on the Oasis last year. The new menu has good variety, and some of the dishes were surprisingly great. The strip steak was a significant upgrade over the sirloin last year, in both taste, quality and portion size. Just make sure to get it medium rare or medium. Anything else and it is way too tough to eat. Our son had it almost every day. However, I ordered the Chops filet most days for $15 and it is still much more tender and flavorful. The lobsters were amazing - we all raved about them. They were large, tender and delish! Do not miss the lobsters on the second formal night (Friday). Oh, and you can get the Chops-like filet on the first formal night (Monday) free of charge. We all also ate the shrimp cocktail almost every night along with a salad AND a soup. Our waiter Prabu was fabulous. Dinner was one of the highlights of the trip.

Chop's Grille is fantastic, but with a large group this year, we chose not to visit. So, the option to upgrade to a filet for me was nice. Izturi is a favorite of mine for appetizers. I usually would be the last of my family to head to the showers before dinner, so I would grab a cocktail and head to Izturi and order some sushi to go. They would package it up for me without a sitting fee and I'd take it back to the room. We'd eat sushi almost every night on the balcony. Very cool. My wife also ordered room service cheese and fruit trays many times before dinner. A nice touch.

Johnny Rocket's was solid as always, and worth the $4 pp charge. Beware the milkshakes are not included and are $4.75 apiece. Use the coupon if you are a C&A member (2 for 1).

The Doghouse on the Boardwalk is another nice included (and quick) option, but the ice cream shop across the way should also be included (or cheaper). Hardly anyone went in there. Same with the cotton candy and popcorn next to the Carousel. That should be included as well - cheap to produce.

We did go to Rita's and it was pretty good, but not spectacular by any means. The service was attentive and the food was hot. It just seemed to be missing something.

Drink Package

We have done the soda packages in the past, as we tend to drink alot of them. I am a big Coke Zero fanatic (I don't drink coffee), so I was pumped to see the Coke Freestyle machines on the ship. There are two at Sorrento, one at the Wipeout Cafe and 2 in Windjammer. But, even with the soda package, you have to have a RC tumbler to use these machines. A regular glass does not work - the tumblers have a chip in them and you can only refill every 13 minutes or so. One bummer is if you get the Premium Alcohol Package, you do not get a tumbler, which is ridiculous. You pay $350 and cannot use the Freestyle machines, but you buy the $50 soda package alone, and you can. It makes no sense. I just used my teens' tumblers all the time and made them just order cokes in glasses (which you can also do in the Premium Alcohol Pkg). But it is ludicrous to leave out the tumblers for that price.

The spirits included (which others have listed) are numerous and top shelf in most respects. The only liquors I noticed were not included were Patron and Woodford Reserve. I'm sure there are others, but we always specified "Grey Goose' or whatever in our drinks to ensure we got the best (since we'd paid for it). There is also no Corona Light for some reason, but the beer selection otherwise was pretty decent. The drinks were a very generous pour at every bar we tried all over the ship. In fact, some drinks were even too strong.

Although no one seemed to expect an extra tip, we did tip $1 or $2 around the ship most of the time on 1 or 2 drinks. It seemed to be appreciated but not expected. Note that a few bartenders would not allow you to bring up two cards with the Premium packages and get two drinks. Most bartenders didn't care but a couple would not serve you the second drink unless they could "see" the second person.

The only downside to the Premium Package (aside from the cost) is that the wine selections are abysmal. We are big wine drinkers and have been to Napa and Sonoma several times. The St. Martin chardonnay and the reds were undrinkable (and we drink plenty of under $20 wines). Something has to be done about this. No one in our group drank wine all week other than the weak chardonnay. Most of us drink cocktails with dinner (grey goose, martinis, etc.) rather than drink wine, which was unusual.

Excursions/Ports

Nassau

With only 4 hours in Nassau, and having never been to Atlantis, we debated whether to spend over $150 pp on the Aquaventure. The price is exorbitant, but the pools and slides are substantial and frankly fantastic. With such a short excursion, if you are interested in the slides, go there immediately when they open. The aqua areas are massive at Atlantis, so after the guide "drops you off" near the Cove pool, do not stay there. Instead, work your way to the slides that open early (one set opens an hour earlier than the other - typically the Mayan Temple). The Power Tower opens later.

Towels are provided but the chairs fill up VERY quickly, especially if other cruisers show up from other boats. Grab chairs near the slides early and form a home base - you can get lost easily especially with a large group. Have a meeting place at least a 1/2 hour prior to departure. The place is so big that you could easily have a 30 minute walk back to the drop off point at Coral Towers.

The lines for the slides at Mayan Temple are confusing. If you say you want to ride the "challenge", which are the shorter two slides where you race each other, you can probably get through the line in less than 5 minutes. But, the lines all merge and you have to ask the guides so you can make your way past all the people waiting for the long body slide through the shark tank which exits on the opposite side - the Leap of Faith. This line was 45 minutes long within an hour of opening and is a very quick drop - you also see no sharks you are flying so fast.

A slide we should have done more than once was the Serpent Slide. You are in a one or two person tube and, although slower than the body slides, you get to slow down inside the shark tank for closeups. Very cool.

We unfortunately did not have time to do the Power Tower slides - maybe next year. Also, remember to bring cash or a credit card to Atlantis - everything is expensive and your seapass card obviously will get you nowhere.

St. Thomas

We did the St. John's Champagne cat tour, and it was fantastic for all ages. We had 11 people from ages 6 to 70 and all had a marvelous time. Our captain Ryan and crew members Garin and Mickey were helpful and cheerful to a Disney-esque level, and the scenery is to die for (even though it was cloudy for most of our trip). The snorkel spot is easy - little chance of cutting one's feet on coral - and there are sting ray, colorful fish and even a few sea turtle! The only downside is the 30 minute bus ride from Charlotte Amalie to the dock, but once on the cat to St. John, all is forgotten (until you jump on the ride back).

St. Martin

We were in St. Martin on the Oasis last year and went to Pinel Island on our own - took a cab and then a short boat ride to the tiny island on the French side. There was shallow water for snorkeling, a quaint small beach and one beach bar with drinks and food. Warning - there are topless bathers on Pinel - but it was a neat experience and not as touristy as the main beaches.

This year on Allure we simply walked around Front and Back Streets, did a little shopping, and then ducked into the Holland House Beach Hotel very close to the ferry and had drinks at the very nice bar (with nice bathrooms as well). Advice - take the ferry for $7 round trip - the walk is brutal and I've run a marathon before. This is true especially if you have small kids or older family members.

Common Areas

The ship is amazing, as is the Oasis. Having also been on two Celebrity ships and the Liberty, these two ships are simply out of this world. The Central park alone is stunning, and is one of the best areas on any ship in the world IMO. The Royal Promenade is super wide and can accommodate a ton of people. The shopping, parades, etc. on the Promenade were nice.

Entertainment

Some of the shows are simply not to be missed. The water show is absolutely amazing for all ages and one of the coolest shows this side of Cirque. Kudos to RC for planning it and getting the talent to execute it. The Blue Planet show is similarly cool. Chicago and Hairspray are nice but short and are not quite Broadway caliber, but close. The Dreamwork character shows and parades were a nice touch and the smaller kids in our group loved them. The kids clubs also were well received by the smaller kids in our group. Our teens did not use the clubs, so it is hard to comment, although those groups seemed to have fun.

The only negative on the entertainment was the Disco night. We loved the disco party on the Promenade on Oasis and raved about how fun it was to others in our group who had never cruised. The singers, however, were soooo bad, soooo cheezy and even forgot their lines, that the others in the group begged off and went to bed. It was embarrassing and disappointing.

Our only other major complaint would be the smoking policy. The ship's Compass says the ship is non-smoking except on one deck and other areas on 15. However, they seem to permit (at least I was told this) smoking on oceanview balconies. Since the balconies are so close together, this can ruin the entire use of your balcony if you have a chain smoker next door (which we had). RC, PLEASE change this policy and give smokers one area to smoke in AWAY from others, and AWAY from the balconies!

On the WIFI package, I'd read where folks were getting it unlimited for one connected device at a time for $99. It was $179 on the June 23rd cruise - I bought it anyway and did get 10% off with the C&A Gold coupon, but was expecting it to be much cheaper. Also, we used the Royal Connect phones again - same as last year on the Oasis. They are spotty at best, although better than nothing. Using the location finder was almost as useful as trying to actually chat or call, as most of the time the phones did not ring when called.

Otherwise, everyone had an awesome time. We had more rain than we are accustomed to due to cruising in June (we usually cruise in March), but we had to coordinate 3 family schedules. The first time cruisers young and old in our group were blown away by the boat and the entire experience. My mother in law was in tears seeing the entire family have such an incredible time. Hope to be back next March on Allure or Oasis and Quantum in 2015!!

Great review , thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the review; it got us even more excited about an upcoming Allure cruise!

I just wanted to mention a couple changes to policies since your cruise. They have changed the smoking policy so there is no longer smoking on balconies. Also, the new drink packages do include the cup that can be used at the freestyle machines; I believe it is included with any package that includes soda.

I love seeing how RCI listens to feedback and adjusts!

Great to hear they changed the smoking policy on balconies. We are going again on the oasis in march! And on the drink packages, it didn't make sense to me that soft drink only packages had them but premium liquor packages, which include soft drinks and are mighty pricey did not. Glad this has changed.

Hi Wildcat Guy - We are sailing Oasis in the same rooms as you, 12550 and 12552. Can you advise if they both had the bed near the balcony, or both had the bed near the bathroom? Also did you still have a couch, or did you lose the couch because of the interconnecting door between cabins and only have a char instead?

Hi Wildcat Guy - We are sailing Oasis in the same rooms as you, 12550 and 12552. Can you advise if they both had the bed near the balcony, or both had the bed near the bathroom? Also did you still have a couch, or did you lose the couch because of the interconnecting door between cabins and only have a char instead?

I believe one room had the bed near the balcony and one had it near the closet. They split our kids beds ahead of time. Both had the couch. The pass through door is not wide and really doesn't affect the layout.

• 2 weeks later...
Great review!!!

We'll be on The Allure 2-16-14.

Thanks! Heading back on oasis in march. My review pretty much is the same for both ships. Both are amazing. I can flip a coin honestly between the two. Like the cantina better on allure but like hairspray better than Chicago on oasis. To each their own.

I'm happy to hear the change to the smoking policy on the balconies and the inclusion of the Coke freestyle tumblers in all drink packages.

Thanks! Heading back on oasis in march. My review pretty much is the same for both ships. Both are amazing. I can flip a coin honestly between the two. Like the cantina better on allure but like hairspray better than Chicago on oasis. To each their own.

I'm happy to hear the change to the smoking policy on the balconies and the inclusion of the Coke freestyle tumblers in all drink packages.

Great!!!

We'll be on the Allure on February 16 2014.

Can't wait!!!

I am interested to know if activities like Ziplining or Flowrider are available for the passengers to enjoy when the ship is docked in Port. For us, the ship is part of the excursion list, and we may not be leaving the ship for the full day in port and want to do some of the activities (already listed) when many of the passengers are still off the ship.

My feeling is the lines would be shorter and I would have more time to enjoy.

I am interested to know if activities like Ziplining or Flowrider are available for the passengers to enjoy when the ship is docked in Port. For us, the ship is part of the excursion list, and we may not be leaving the ship for the full day in port and want to do some of the activities (already listed) when many of the passengers are still off the ship.

Both ziplining and the flowrider were available to us when we were docked in St. Martin on Allure.

Both ziplining and the flowrider were available to us when we were docked in St. Martin on Allure.

Since they were available to you on the Eastern route, I am sure they will be available on the Western route, when we cruise her.

Looking forward to Ziplining for the first time and enjoying flowrider again.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the flow rider is closed during the morning hours while in port. I think it opened at 1 or 3 pm. Check the compass.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, just got back today from our second trip on the Oasis. First trip was in 2012; was on Allure in June 2013. Finally at platinum after this cruise. A few observations, some of which have been reported by others recently but I will point them out anyway as a supplement to my original review:

1. No smoking on the balconies; didn't see anyone violate the rule. Note in the rooms the first day making this point.

2. Food has gotten appreciably better in the MDR over the past 4 years from Liberty through to the Oasis this week. Lobsters were significantly larger and better than last year. Desserts were much better as well. Although I usually still pay the $16.95 for the Chop's steak, I tasted my son's strip and it was good. The medallions on the first formal night were also pretty good. Service on my time dining was great except for one night. If you have Julietta or Romeo you will be happy every night.

3. Wine choices on the Premium Pkg are a bit better than last year on Allure - Hess and Clo Du Bois chard. Hess was much better, but I still want more options, even if we have to pay the upcharge. The Penfold's cab was the only red I would drink in the MDR. Contrast this to the Champagne Bar, where you can pay an upcharge for a variety of great wines by the glass such as Mer Soleil chard ($3 upcharge), Caymus cabernet, etc. I'd love to have these same options in the MDR. The options in the specialty restaurants varied, but were not as good as the Champagne Bar choices.

4. I saw very very few in tuxes this cruise, but alot of folks in suits, which was nice. I also saw very few people in the MDR in shorts or bathing suits, which I have seen in the past. Hopefully they are catching folks at the door or people are just getting the message.

5. Nice to have the soda cups included in the premium pkg. I couldn't get my coke zero without taking my teens' cups last year. Glad RC listened.

6. Bottled water was also easily attainable in the premium pkg and you could get the water alongside a cocktail. We drink alot of water, and had bought expensive water packages in the past. Unfortunately, most of the time the bottled water was not cold.

7. Security was very visible the entire cruise; more so than in the past.

8. Did the Fury catamaran snorkel tour in Cozumel. Nicely done for a huge excursion and we did see a fair amount of fish. Obviously, take a disposable underwater camera and some dog biscuits or some sort of food and the fish will be all over you. The beach break was short but fun.

9. Twice we have done the resort for a day in Jamaica and it is alot of fun. Drinks and food is included and the Hilton Rose Hall is only about a 25 minute drive from Falmouth. It is not a RC excursion but is safe, fun and not too expensive for what you get. The jerk chicken is a "must get". Both times we have been there we have had Hanif as our server and he took care of us all day (almost too good). Regulate yourself if you drink - we saw a guy who literally had to be guided (almost carried out) of the resort by his own kids - he was pounding at the pool bar). Careful. There is a nice beach there and a cool water slide included (and is much better than the $22 one in Labadee).

10. Speaking of Labadee, RC has put alot of $$ into the area and it shows. We did the zip line this time, and while it is pricey at $95 pp, it is SOOOO worth it. I did it with our 18 year old daughter and she was blown away by it. The view is spectacular. Highly recommended. Food was just ok - jerk chicken not even in the ballpark with what we had in Jamaica.

11. A shout out to a few of the great bartenders - everyone obviously has their favs - Deel (who calls himself Handsome), Ryan, Garreth, Lambert.

12. Do the valet luggage service. This is the second time we have sent our bags all the way through to our destination. Works like a charm and is so worth the $20 pp. We sent 5 bags through and all arrived. You can leave the boat pretty much when you want and grab cabs instead of a van because you have so few bags to lug along.

13. If you have kids/teens, think about getting 2 adjoining balcony rooms rather than a family suite. You get 2 bathrooms and showers and can still have some privacy (or not) by shutting the connecting door. You can also have your room attendant open the balconies and you have a nice large size veranda.

14. If you want to avoid lines, go to Park Cafe for breakfast and/or lunch. Not only do they have great roast beef sandwiches, but soups, salads, etc. And for breakfast, they have a variety of breakfast sandwiches, bagels, breakfast burritos, etc. And, Central Park is really the coolest area at sea in my opinion. By contrast, we ate less at Windjammer than usual. It was just so packed all the time. We instead would get salads at Park Cafe or burgers from Johnny Rockets. Also, if you like sushi, you can get it carry out rather than having to sit and eat inside Izumi.

15. The new towel policy was in effect and I liked it better. People did save seats but it wasn't terrible, and a pool attendant would yank towels off unattended chairs after about an hour unless there were other belongings on the chairs. Not having to keep up with the towels was liberating. I hope it continues. Also, on port days, RC would bring down bins so folks could dump their towels on the way onto the boat rather than have to lug them up to the pool deck.

16. Wifi was a little better than I recalled last year, except when my teens kept knocking me off to instagram pics to their friends back home. It is still not super fast but is decent for emails. Pics posed some issues.

17. With March Madness in full bloom, I wish that the boat had more TV's or a true sports bar. They could also run the games on the Aqua Theater screens more often. Not sure why they don't. We were able to get some games on in the On Air screens, but only in the afternoons, not the evenings. By contrast, the Serenade of the Seas was docked next to us and they had a huge screen up at the pool running the games.

18. Water show was incredible as usual. Best show at sea, and unique.

That's all for now. Need to get some sleep. Hope this is helpful.

Wildcat Guy

Hello Wildcat just noticed that you asked me why I went on NCL earlier and didn't see it to respond...lets just say we went with family members, and they usually come down to us in Florida and go with us at times, so I felt it would be fair for us to go up to NY and take a cruise from there, then with that being said, I wanted RC ship but my sister in law was so set on the Breakaway being a new and larger ship...well, I gave in even knowing in the past we didn't care for NCL. I went with an open mind (my other half and father in law did to) but to our surprise it was our most hated ship and we won't cruise NCL again. The Breakway had so many negatives and we even felt Carnival was better than this ship haha...but RC is our favorite. I wanted to do Celebrity this year but sister in law was against it says its for "old people" and she wasn't ready for that, heck, we are all in our early 50's we not spring chickens either haha and honestly I would rather cruise with wiser people than young people but we both compromised and chose the Allure (thank goodness).

I was curious to one thing last year during the summer many complained that the stateroom air conditioners weren't that cool, that it got warmer in the middle of the night even on the coolest setting did you encounter this problem?

I am curious, the menu's that RC has online are they the current ones daily, would you happen to have copies of the menu's as we will be choosing 5 evenings specialty dining.

Is Izumi open for lunch, if so do you have the menu and what is the cost (just curious)?

Was the Winjammer really that crowded at lunch, we usually eat lunch around 1:30 would you say we could find a table to eat ok or not?

Thank you.