Spendida. Free Shuttles MSC won't tell you about.

eastender

For people not taking ship tours. We embarked at Genoa, the dock seemed close to town. At Marseilles the dock was miles away, MSC shuttle to town was 15 euros return. We walked 500yds to a free bus that dropped off outside port next to a train station. Town centre was easily walkable from here. Barcelona, again docked quite a distance, wrong side of a bridge. Other ships were docked right next to town and just to get to this point MSC shuttle was 8 euros return. This really should be free but only alternative was a long walk. Valencia, again MSC shuttle 15 euros return to town that drops you way out from the centre, but there was a free yellow bus that takes you out of the port, then easy get a local bus that takes you to the centre for 1.5 euros. La Goulette seemed walkable but friends coming back said don't bother, the hassle was horrendous from the locals as soon as you leave the port area. Cabs seemed ok from the port. Some shops were in the port but pretty poor. Free shuttle out of the Civitavechia port, then we got the train to Rome. This is easy and works really well. Enjoyed the cruise even though it seemed fully loaded. It was noticeable that the European dinner menu was definitely a big downgrade from the Caribbean MSC cruises. Also note that asking for late dinner will be a very late 21:45 start & not the 20:30 across the pond.

We used port shuttles or public transport too. If I am not mistaken, Costa etc also operates their own shuttle buses at a fee. It shows how some advance research could save some $.

btw Marseilles shuttle bus only started this June too.

EastEnders, many thanks and sound advice!

I would just add a similar experience in Malaga. MSC tour desk were heavily promoting their Malaga shuttle for two days before we arrived, limited nmber of tckets, too far to walk etc.. I was sceptical. I cut my teeth on Royal Caribbean where they don't just withhold information on public transport, they lie and collude with local port authorities to maximise their shuttle revenue.

Leaving the terminal building, there was the MSC shuttle service at the doors. Just beyond were the public taxis and then the city bus shuttle laid on by the local municipality whenever a cruise ship is in town. I actually walked and it was very pleasant past the new development of themed bars and restaurants and posh shops. It was around 15 mins gentle stroll to the tourist office near where both MSC and municipal shuttles dropped off.

The fare saved more than paid for some superb wine and tapas in a posh bar, with free wifi, in the port development on the way back to the ship.

For people not taking ship tours. We embarked at Genoa, the dock seemed close to town. At Marseilles the dock was miles away, MSC shuttle to town was 15 euros return. We walked 500yds to a free bus that dropped off outside port next to a train station. Town centre was easily walkable from here. Barcelona, again docked quite a distance, wrong side of a bridge. Other ships were docked right next to town and just to get to this point MSC shuttle was 8 euros return. .

We used port shuttles or public transport too. If I am not mistaken, Costa etc also operates their own shuttle buses at a fee. It shows how some advance research could save some $.

btw Marseilles shuttle bus only started this June too.

Thank you so much for the information for Marseilles especially. I know last time I was there the shuttle was expensive. See that it has only recently been provided.

Barcelona has the local bus from ship to the port entrance about 1.50 euros.

"MSC Shuttle Bus" is a misnomer. Shuttle bus service in most ports (ship to town or port exit) is run by the port authority and the buses are used by all cruise lines. The cruise lines do not manage the buses but merely sell their tickets at whatever cost the port authority dictates. Fortunately some ports offer a free service that a little before-cruise research can save time and effort. Best of all are the ports with docks right in the town centre where you can walk to all the sights or having a hop on/hop off bus stop nearby.

In Ibiza they couldn't even tell me where the shuttle dropped you off, so we decided to walk. It wasn't that bad, but with a 4 year old we cabbed back to the ship from a spot much further away than the shuttle spot and paid much less (even if we had taken it round trip!)

In Dubrovnik the shuttle was also a rip off.

They try to tell you because it's unlimited you can come back and forth as much as you want. The problem is (at least on MSC) that the port days are actually quite short so you wouldn't want to waste your time!

It is not difficult to do a bit of research ahead of time and avoid the costly shuttles!!

In Ibiza they couldn't even tell me where the shuttle dropped you off, so we decided to walk. It wasn't that bad, but with a 4 year old we cabbed back to the ship from a spot much further away than the shuttle spot and paid much less (even if we had taken it round trip!)

In Dubrovnik the shuttle was also a rip off.

They try to tell you because it's unlimited you can come back and forth as much as you want. The problem is (at least on MSC) that the port days are actually quite short so you wouldn't want to waste your time!

It is not difficult to do a bit of research ahead of time and avoid the costly shuttles!!

I'll be calling at Ibiza next month for the first time. Roughly how far away is the port from the town centre? Is there anything nearby the cruise terminal, like a beach?

How about Venice? Last time we were there in October, it was shuttle boat from a dock to St. Marco Sq. for 15€ return ticket (it was good price because vaporetto is 8€ in one way). We will be there at the end of July.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Malaga opened a new cruise terminal last year, it's about 2km from town centre. Though it's not impossible to walk, an easier way is to use the port shuttle bus, should cost 2 euro per pax each way. Buses are about every 15min interval and take 5 to 10min to Plaza de Marina in the city centre. Taxi should be about 10 euro each way.

Not sure about Lisbon or Casablanca. Only heard you can book taxi at Casablanca cruise port.

The last time we were in Venice, we just walked to San Marco, Accademia etc.. Since it's April, the weather was nice. But if you plan to visit a few islands, including Murano, may consider getting a 12-hour pass for about 18 euro. This allows unlimited usage of water buses.

Archived