Cabin L107 with huge balcony on Royal Princess

najones58

Did you mark the "no upgrade" option? Or did Princess just relocate you despite that?

No, but I was planning to call back to request no upgrade. I just hadn't done it yet. My regular Princess cruise planner has been out for a while.

I never dreamed they would "upgrade" me so quickly.

Also, I never dreamed they would do this to me, a 25 year Elite veteran of Princess.

I know better now. Live and learn. Ugh.

Bearing in mind that a general rep isn't going to know the pros and cons of every case and ship (whats a positive for one cruiser is a negative for another) - especially with a new ship.

Secondly, it all automatic and the system is strictly category based, so from that standpoint the system thinks it is doing you a favor. Your status has little to do with it.

Again, in 98 percent of cases, MF to MA is a clear upgrade unless you have a specific characteristic of a cabin in mind. It's only in the cases of cabins like these that its not necessarily, and no automated system is going to be able to account for personal preference.

No' date=' but I was planning to call back to request no upgrade. I just hadn't done it yet. My regular Princess cruise planner has been out for a while.

I never dreamed they would "upgrade" me so quickly.

Also, I never dreamed they would do this to me, a 25 year Elite veteran of Princess.

I know better now. Live and learn. Ugh.[/quote']

In a nutshell? Response time. The purpose of the upgrade is to free up the cabins in question to sell. If they have to wait for you to release the old cabin, they risk losing the sale.

Seems to be happening too many times. Where is the problem in the cruise companies asking if someone really wants an upgrade before presenting them with a 'fait accompli' :(

Bearing in mind that a general rep isn't going to know the pros and cons of every case and ship (whats a positive for one cruiser is a negative for another) - especially with a new ship.

Secondly, it all automatic and the system is strictly category based, so from that standpoint the system thinks it is doing you a favor. Your status has little to do with it.

Again, in 98 percent of cases, MF to MA is a clear upgrade unless you have a specific characteristic of a cabin in mind. It's only in the cases of cabins like these that its not necessarily, and no automated system is going to be able to account for personal preference.

Yes, of course, objectively this is all true. It doesn't feel so good, though, when one's dream trip, in one's ideal room, is being altered, to one's surprise.

I won't be so trusting, again. I won't forget to stipulate "no upgrade".

Thankfully, I did get my covered mini suite, on Emerald Deck, back.

My feeling, though, is still "ugh".

I think you have been treated badly by Princess. The minis you chose are obviously very popular and I would think it must have been in Princess's interests AND NOT YOURS to move you into two other minis. The size of balcony alone on your original minis would make them a premium cabin to have in the Caribbean.

We were similarly upgraded on our forthcoming Caribbean Princess New England/Canada cruise. We had booked on Caribe deck for the larger, partly covered balcony and Princess very kindly decided to 'upgrade' us to a Baja cabin with the regular open balcony.

We have managed to get our original cabin back and you should insist that Princess reinstates your original booking. It would have been a different matter if you had been offered an upgrade to a full suite ;)

Dorset Cruiser: So glad that you have your original cabin back. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel

better. As I have mentioned, I got mine back, too.

I hope it all works out OK for the OP.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Dorset Cruiser: So glad that you have your original cabin back. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel

better. As I have mentioned' date=' I got mine back, too.

I hope it all works out OK for the OP.

Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

Thanks! We were pleased to get the cabin back but we decided today to ask to move a little bit further back from C104 to C226 in case we have very rough seas as we are doing New England at the end of September; there was no problem with this. We have put in a definite request for no upgrade unless to a minisuite or full suite ;)

There are lots of spare cabins on our cruise, especially on Caribe deck. Perhaps it is because the weather might be a bit 'iffy' at the end of September but hopefully we will see some warm sun on our extended balcony :)

Hope you have a good cruise also :)

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

If your cabin is marked no upgrade, they are supposed to contact you first to approve a change. That said, for example, our TA knows our preferences and has been authorized to accept/decline on our behalf. Some TAs do it without asking (bad form)

Even if you book your cabin and mark it "no upgrades" Princess can still change your cabin. It happened to me.

I read on another post that you could have your reservation marked "Meta Upgrade" which means that you will not except any upgrade in your category like balcony but would except an upgrade to the next higher category like from balcony to mini suite. Anybody heard of this?

Tom:)

I read on another post that you could have your reservation marked "Meta Upgrade" which means that you will not except any upgrade in your category like balcony but would except an upgrade to the next higher category like from balcony to mini suite. Anybody heard of this?

Tom:)

Yes it exists but many still avoid it if the want a covered balcony. With a meta upgrade, you can go from a covered balcony to an uncovered Mini.

If your cabin is marked no upgrade, they are supposed to contact you first to approve a change. That said, for example, our TA knows our preferences and has been authorized to accept/decline on our behalf. Some TAs do it without asking (bad form)

Princess just moved us. The people in our cabin the cruise before decided to stay onboard and they let them stay in the same cabin. My TA did get them to give us onboard credit for the move.

Now for the rest of the story!

We got on board and the cabin that they move us to had a upper bunk. The one we first had did not. I took a nap and when I woke up I hit my head on the upper bunk and got a bump on my head. Long story made short. They then gave us a balcony cabin on deck 15 at no extra charge. Me and my bumpy head were happy!

Edited by geocruiser

Okay thats an unusual situation and at least Princess settled it witha bit of prompting...

Princess just moved us. The people in our cabin the cruise before decided to stay onboard and they let them stay in the same cabin. My TA did get them to give us onboard credit for the move.

Now for the rest of the story!

We got on board and the cabin that they move us to had a upper bunk. The one we first had did not. I took a nap and when I woke up I hit my head on the upper bunk and got a bump on my head. Long story made short. They then gave us a balcony cabin on deck 15 at no extra charge. Me and my bumpy head were happy!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back. They are trying to put Elite members in L107 as an upgrade. They tried that on us, and we refused. Seems they emailed us after we left home, but we didn't find out till our check in. Luckily we were early enough to raise a fuss and even thought the ship was sold out, we got put back in L107 before the Super Elite member showed up (and they were pissed not to get the cabin-I bumped into them outside our door). Be sure you tell them to include on your file "No Upgrade" (which I had done on booking). The room fits a rollaway so 2 adults and one teen are good for the room.

I also suspect Princess may be "pulling one over" on you and maybe another party wanted those rooms (maybe wanted a block of rooms) and the rep made up the excuse. Who knows? I'm pretty confident that cabin can accommodate three people!

We moved the coffee table in front of the window and had no problem with the rollaway.

Hello Najones58,

I stayed in L107 on one of the 2 night preview cruises & posted the photos on CC.

Here is a link to the photos of the mini suite

https://picasaweb.google.com/114133842550415618680/RoyalPrincessMiniSuiteL107Deck16Forward

Whilst I'm not saying it is right the only thing I can think off is that if / when the sofa bed is made up you wouldn't be able to walk past it & therefore the passengers sleeping in the main bedroom area wouldn't be able to get to the bathroom & or the door {balcony or stateroom} in case of emergency.

If you look at all my pictures {sorry I am at work & cannot upload individual ones into this message} you'll see how different the layout of this mini suite is to most.

You should just be able to see from one of my photos where it shows the 2 TV's just where the sofa is located.

I hope this helps.

We just got back. They are trying to put Elite members in L107 as an upgrade. They tried that on us, and we refused. Seems they emailed us after we left home, but we didn't find out till our check in. Luckily we were early enough to raise a fuss and even thought the ship was sold out, we got put back in L107 before the Super Elite member showed up

I suspect that after enough people mark the "No Upgrade" and raise a fuss as you did if Princess tries to move them, those cabins will be recategorized as Suites. I am actually surprised that this hasn't happened already. Or perhaps they will remain as Mini Suites, but the booking system will block out the cabins so that no one can book them, and then they will be allocated to high ranking Elite members. But this whole situation of having Princess fight with passengers over unwanted upgrades and surreptitious moves for made-up reasons will become untenable for all, if it hasn't already. Princess will have to remove the friction here.

We just got back. They are trying to put Elite members in L107 as an upgrade. They tried that on us, and we refused. Seems they emailed us after we left home, but we didn't find out till our check in. Luckily we were early enough to raise a fuss and even thought the ship was sold out, we got put back in L107 before the Super Elite member showed up (and they were pissed not to get the cabin-I bumped into them outside our door). Be sure you tell them to include on your file "No Upgrade" (which I had done on booking). The room fits a rollaway so 2 adults and one teen are good for the room.

I suspect that after enough people mark the "No Upgrade" and raise a fuss as you did if Princess tries to move them, those cabins will be recategorized as Suites. I am actually surprised that this hasn't happened already. Or perhaps they will remain as Mini Suites, but the booking system will block out the cabins so that no one can book them, and then they will be allocated to high ranking Elite members. But this whole situation of having Princess fight with passengers over unwanted upgrades and surreptitious moves for made-up reasons will become untenable for all, if it hasn't already. Princess will have to remove the friction here.

They can't be suites because of the bathrooms.

Suite bathrooms have separate glassed-in shower stalls and separate tubs. Also, the sink is in it's own room.

These will stay mini-suites and they'll either block them or try to move people as they did to najones and canucktrio.

This is NOT a good way to do business. :mad:

I have gone back and forth and sideways with princess. I told them I wanted my original cabins back. I talked to many managers. Well I am finally booked back in L107 and M107. Thank you for all the pictures and comments. I did not know what princess decided until yesterday.

I have gone back and forth and sideways with princess. I told them I wanted my original cabins back. I talked to many managers. Well I am finally booked back in L107 and M107. Thank you for all the pictures and comments. I did not know what princess decided until yesterday.

:D

So glad to hear that!

:D

Good for you.:) I hope there is a big smile on your face.:D

I'm a little confused. I thought this mini-suite had a sofa bed. Is this not the case?

No. When we booked, the agent could not confirm the sofa as a pull out. We didn't mind, as the pull outs are usually less comfortable anyway as beds. The mini suite usually has a pull out, but this layout does not have the space to allow one, so its only a 5 foot wide sofa. They will bring in a rollaway for a 3rd guest. The size of the balcony is really the selling point. M107 below, has an even larger balcony as the balcony extends over the bridge wing, but has less privacy than L107

Great job!

Thanks for letting us know:)

Enjoy your cruise:)

They can't be suites because of the bathrooms.

Suite bathrooms have separate glassed-in shower stalls and separate tubs. Also, the sink is in it's own room.

These will stay mini-suites and they'll either block them or try to move people as they did to najones and canucktrio.

This is NOT a good way to do business. :mad:

Nope, not true...I have stayed in suites on two different ships and didn't have a glassed in shower or separate tub. The pics of the mini look exactly like a regular suite. I am really surprised it's called a mini.

Edited by akeasley