On crutches 1 week before Oasis. Help!

My father broke the base of his toe last night and now he is not allowed to walk on it for a few weeks (we board the Oasis next Saturday). Does anyone have any advice about renting motorized scooters or anything like that for the duration of the cruise?

My father broke the base of his toe last night and now he is not allowed to walk on it for a few weeks (we board the Oasis next Saturday). Does anyone have any advice about renting motorized scooters or anything like that for the duration of the cruise?

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I have just copied this off the RCI website and I hope it helps....

Mobility Disabilities

Our goal is to make all of our guests as comfortable as possible, both on and off the ship. Our cruise ships have spacious corridors to accommodate 180 degree turns for wheelchairs. Most decks are accessible through automatic doors, and all public rooms feature entrances with gradual inclines.

We provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation, however, if you would like the use of a wheelchair or scooter for the duration of your cruise, then you are welcome to bring your own onboard or you can hire one from an outside vendor. Please see the contact information below for hire companies who can delivery various items of equipment, including wheelchairs/scooters to your stateroom on the day of embarkation.

Carevacations - www.carevacations.co.uk/Welcome.html

Telephone: 07821 614803

Email: krystyna@carevacations.co.uk

Mobility at Sea - www.mobilityatsea.co.uk

Telephone: 0844-800 7074

Email: dave.budgen@cavendishhealthcare.com

Guests may bring and use wheelchairs, mobility scooters and other assertive equipment onboard our ships.

Please note: Due to safety reasons, Segways may not be used onboard.

Mobility equipment can include wheelchairs and mobility scooters, which must be stored and charged in your stateroom so that fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation.

Mobility equipment should fit through a standard stateroom doorway which is at least 23 inches wide. We do offer accessible staterooms which have wider doors which are at least 32 inches in width so they can accommodate larger items of equipment

Please note: Crew members are not permitted to lift any assertive equipment.

Services provided:

• Priority boarding

• Wheelchair adapted transportation with lift for fly/cruise or cruise only transfers

• Wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation

• Hoists for one pool and one whirlpool on each ship in the fleet.

I actually use crutches permanently and have travelled on Allure of the Seas and actually didn't find it too bad for getting around. Staff are very helpful in restaurants and for shore excursions etc. Also when it comes to the muster drill if you inform your cabin attendant that in the case of an emergency your father would need assistance (the lifts are out of action during an emergency) then they will put him on a list for extra help.

My mil always sails with a transport chair (a wheelchair with smaller wheels that must be pushed by someone). We have always been allowed to fold it and leave it outside the door of the cabin. Royal crews have been extremely helpful. She is able to walk short distances but they are always there to help her board tenders and embark and debark. We have never rented equipment, but there are rental facilities near all the ports which cater to the cruise industry. A quick google search will get you what you need. Have a great vacation!

I have been on numerous cruises on different cruise lines where people have scooters and leave them in the elevator lobby when they are not using them. Maybe if their cabin is far from elevators they have someone drive it down there after they are in the cabin. On one cruise that was how we knew we were on our deck when going up or down the stairs.....we dubbed it the "scooter deck" since there were always 3 or 4 of them parked by the stairway/elevators.

If you're father has a standard cabin , not all scooters will fit through a standard cabin doorway. RCCL requires that the scooter must be stored in the cabin and cannot be left out in the hallways or other public areas overnight . Since scooters are rented based on weight capacity a compact scooter may not be an option depending on the type of scooter needed and the cabin type.

Suggest you contact either www.carevacations.com or www.specialneedsatsea.com to determine if a scooter or folding collapsible wheelchair would be suitable relative to the individual's weight and type of cabin. It's too late at this point in type to get an HC Accessible Cabin.

Archived