Magens or Trunk Bay?

Boatingmom

We've been to Megans, Coki, Saphire, and Honeymoon via charter trip. St. Johns is recommended. Is it worth the hassle of getting there or should We stick with Megans and go shopping afterwards? We will have a 15 and 17 yo with us

We've been to Megans, Coki, Saphire, and Honeymoon via charter trip. St. Johns is recommended. Is it worth the hassle of getting there or should We stick with Megans and go shopping afterwards? We will have a 15 and 17 yo with us

Really depends on what you want to do, it sounds like beach time followed by shopping? There are gorgeous beaches on both STJ and on the East End of STT, and there is a lot of shopping in CA and also some nice shops in Cruz Bay.

Our opinion of Magens is it is a nice enough beach but is overrated and just doesn't have the "character" of Sapphire, Coki, or the beaches of STJ. So if we wanted the most beach time for our day in port we would do Sapphire and shop in Red Hook or CA after. If we had enough time to relax for a few hours at Cinnamon and spend a couple hours shopping in Cruz Bay we would also consider that. For that option we would taxi to Red Hook and ferry to Cruz. Just another 1.5 hrs. or so of travel time.

Have you considered a daysail for something different? There are excellent operators you can book directly like New Horizons and Yacht Nightwind out of the Sapphire marina. They cater to cruisers and land vacationers alike. And if you really had time and wanted something different a trip to the BVI is a great option from STT.

[EDIT] I realize you're not talking about Honeymoon Beach on STJ. Yes the STJ beaches are very nice and if time allows a visit os worth the effort.

Thanks for the response Bluewater. We did a day sail on high pockets in the past. Although we loved it, we were looking to "change it up" We have never ferried over to St John. Is it worth the time? Also, why did you recommend Cinnamon over Trunk?:confused:

Yes ok so you've enjoyed a nice daysail, that's great!

I was thinking Cinnamon would be a little less crowded but Trunk is probably the best choice for your day. If it's too crowded you can just continue on to Cinnamon too, you're in charge because you're on your own. I definitely think it is worth the extra time it takes to ferry over to Cruz and taxi to Trunk. Gorgeous island and beaches and an experience you should have at least once. Next visit you may not have the flexibility for some reason.

Another option of course is the Champagne catamaran offered through the ship, but we like the Red Hook ferry option as most others who have gone there multiple times.

Enjoy!

Yes. That is what I was thinking. If we dock at Havensite, We will taxi to Red Hook, ferry to Cruz Bay, and taxi to Trunk or Cinnamon. I understand we have to get back for the 2:30 ferry to ensure making the ship. Last time in St Thomas there was a lot of traffic returning from Red Hook so I was getting nervous. We made it with an hour to spare but I don't want to be one of the runners:eek:

Thank Yor for the advice Bluewater

I would agree. If you have already gone to the best beaches on St. Thomas, I would go to Trunk Bay. It is very pretty and there is a great underwater trail for snorkelers.

Cruz Bay is also a nice place to hang out when you've had enough sand and sun.

In port 9-5 ship time. I always wanted to go there but am afraid I will be pinched for time if I do it on our own. The ships excursion only alots for 1.5 hrs of leisure time at st johns. Is it about a 2 hr commute with 2 hrs leisure?what time would I have to take the ferry back? I really don't want to be one of the dock sprinters:eek:

Thanks in advance!

With just 8 hrs in port we would probably choose an East End beach on STT but you can definitely get to Trunk and enjoy about 3 hrs there and get back in plenty of time. Get to Red Hook for the 10AM ferry (your party gets in the ferry line while you get tickets), and return on the 2PM ferry. That will easily get you back to port between 3:30 and 4PM. If there are any delays you have the 3PM return ferry which should also be fine but would be cutting it closer with traffic.

So it's just another choice, we like the self-excursion, you just need to monitor your time which we would do on any excursion.

Good luck!

Hey -

Frommer's recommends Lindquist Beach, because it is not as crowded, and it is very close to Sapphire so it is not a long taxi ride. Have any of you been to that beach? They say that couples who want romance and beauty, as well as quiet will love it. Just wondering if anyone else has been there/?

Archived