Waterslides and Wedding Rings

dcipjr

Hey all,

I heard in a prior review that the waterslide attendants weren't letting people ride with wedding rings on. Can anyone confirm this?

I have never taken it off since I got married (and don't plan to). I can understand if they'd want people to take off rings with protruding stones, etc., but mine is just a plain band. Will I have any problems?

I rode the slides on the Epic without issue.

I read that they were making you take your wedding ring off for the plunge slide. I am not sure about the others. One poster,(sorry I forgot her name to give her credit...;) ) had her hubby put a band-aid over the ring and they did not have an issue. No guarantees of course. It may also have to do with the staff member running the slide at that time-whether the band-aid gets by or not.

I read that they were making you take your wedding ring off for the plunge slide. I am not sure about the others. One poster,(sorry I forgot her name to give her credit...;) ) had her hubby put a band-aid over the ring and they did not have an issue. No guarantees of course. It may also have to do with the staff member running the slide at that time-whether the band-aid gets by or not.

Nice idea! Thanks! :D

Yes, that was my husband. The staff told him it was a good idea and he had no problem doing all the slides on our May 26 cruise. We were on her for the 2-night cruise after her naming and he couldn't do the slides that dropped because of his ring. There is no way he can remove his ring (it's just a plain band) unless he gets it cut off. We'll be on her again the end of September and I already bought a box of "Sponge Bob" band aids for him. I wonder how he'll react to wearing those? Yes, I'll bring regular ones too but I couldn't resist the Sponge Bob band aids :)

So yes, it worked for him on the May 26 cruise but I would imagine other staff may have other feelings on this.

Don't take off your ring- dont go on the slide. A no brainer really. Rules are rules and you get a choice

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

:rolleyes: Please.

OP - good idea about the bandaids. We will do that as well. Our rings don't come off for anyone either ;)

I have seen several people say they will not take off their wedding rings. Why? I can understand if it's stuck on your finger. I take mine off all the time, to do housework, while exercising, swimming, etc. I don't see what the big deal is about taking off your rings and locking them up in the safe.

I have seen several people say they will not take off their wedding rings. Why? I can understand if it's stuck on your finger. I take mine off all the time, to do housework, while exercising, swimming, etc. I don't see what the big deal is about taking off your rings and locking them up in the safe.

Personal preference. In 23 years, it was off my finger twice - both times for surgery. My husband runs into burning buildings for a living and he has never taken his off. The rings, and what they symbolize, mean a lot to us. We chose plain gold wedding bands for this reason. The other "bling" we have gotten each other over the years definitely comes off though.

Don't take off your ring- dont go on the slide. A no brainer really. Rules are rules and you get a choice

Never fails to amaze me when someone just has to post a smarmy comment like this. No. Help. Whatsoever.

I honestly thought the same thing, why do people always have to break the rules? They have them in place for a reason. It's clearly stated, all jewelry must come off, why is that so difficult to grasp?

I'm not trying to come across as mean, I just wonder why I've seen sooo many questions about this, when it's been stated over and over again, no jewelry.

I honestly thought the same thing, why do people always have to break the rules? They have them in place for a reason. It's clearly stated, all jewelry must come off, why is that so difficult to grasp?

I'm not trying to come across as mean, I just wonder why I've seen sooo many questions about this, when it's been stated over and over again, no jewelry.

Most people do not consider a wedding band as jewelry - hence the question you see over and over again. I certainly understand some do not value what it symbolizes, but we are not talking about a bracelet or a necklace. It's a wedding band. We definitely will not be removing ours, and if we choose to use the slide, we will use the OP's suggestion of placing a bandaid over it.

Hmmm. I disagree that a wedding ring should be treated differently than other "no jewelry" because of what it symbolizes. If the rule was bent for wedding bands, others would argue that they never remove their cross, medal, star of david, whatever religious symbol they wear because of what they symbolize. A young women was rather loudly arguing with the staff when I was there watching (oh god no, you could never get me on that plunge thing) because they were insisting that she had to take out her belly ring if she wanted to go on the plunge slide, and she was arguing that it was not possible because it had become adhered to her skin. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but they told her that the reason for the no jewlelry of any kind rule is because 1) metal scratches and damages the inside of the slide; and 2) more importantly, there are seamed edges inside the tube and anything that could potentially catch on either the seamed edges or your clothing or straps from the backboard could cause very serious injury.

The reason they don't allow any jewelry(wedding band included, you can check in the dictionary for the definition of jewelry) is that they are afraid that your ring will get caught in between the seams, and going down the slide at that speed, it will rip your finger right out of your hand.

I wonder, if you dont have a wedding finger to wear your wedding band, does that mean you don't love your husbans/wife anymore? :confused:

I too used to run into burning building and also worked around high voltage electricity for a long time, and I can assure you that in both they considered wedding rings jewelry and had to remove them!

I guess I would ask where you usually buy a wedding ring? Ours came from a jewelry store as I think a large majority do.

Bending rules for some silly thing might be ok for some. Having your finger ripped out of its socket and leaving it hanging on the slide is not a good thing.

Bet if someone lost their finger and the ring and band aid covering it were left on the slide, they would still sue???? Wanna bet!!!

Please just follow the safety rules or skip the ride. It's no where near the same as sneaking on a bottle of booze, it's safety.

The reason they don't want people wearing rings or anything else is because the slides are fiberglass with a gel coat top. This mixed with water is what makes it slippery. The same reason on my boat no one is allowed on with shoes. If it gets scratched it will start to chip / flake away. Pretty soon your sliding over fiber glass. It can be repaired but I would not want to be the person in charge of crawling down the tube to find the location:eek:

The bandaid idea is great.

I guess I would ask where you usually buy a wedding ring? Ours came from a jewelry store as I think a large majority do

Ours came from the gold I dug in Alaska when I worked one summer up there during college

I suspect the "no ring" policy was INTENDED to keep rings with protruding stones from being used because of the risk of them getting caught or damaging the slide. Makes sense. However, some policy-maker in Miami made it a sweeping policy so an operator didn't have to make judgement calls on whether or not a certain ring was "risky"

So I agree that under the current policy, if you want to ride, be prepared to take off your ring(s). By the way, my wedding ring very rarely comes off..mostly because I'm afraid of losing it if I do. :)

Having said that, if NCL and the operators deem it acceptable to cover wedding bands with bandaids as a way to mitigate this risk, then by all means do it. I wouldn't do it to "hide" the ring to get around the policy, but if they think it's an acceptable approach, then go for it.

I have been married to the same wonderful woman for 37 years. My wedding ring has been off my finger for about HALF of that time. My wife understands and agrees with me. I am a merchant ship's engineering officer. I work around moving machinery every day of my career (6 months a year). I have seen what a simple gold wedding band can do to a finger when it is snagged by moving machinery (or in the case of the water slide, from your body weight tearing down against your stuck finger), or when accidentally touched to something when working on high voltage equipment. I am sorry to be graphic, but the rule is in place for a reason, and a very good reason, and it IS intended for simple gold bands as much as any other jewelry.

If you don't want to, or cannot, remove your ring, then don't go down the slide. Don't force a crew member into a position of saying that wearing a band-aid over the ring is okay (any crew member who tells you something different than what is in the company's policy manual can get fired, and many do not know this, or just want to "help"), when it still may catch, "glove" your finger, and then you sue the line and the crewmember for allowing it. Band-aids can come off. Just because you have covered it does not mitigate the fact that there is a hard solid ring around soft flesh that will catch at the next hard point: your next knuckle. The band-aid may prevent injury, or it may lessen the injury, but there is no guarantee.

I physically can't get my wedding ring off. So I wouldn't be able to go down? Hmmmm.

(Not that I wish to anyway! But just saying, not everyone's ring is removeable)

If they see a ring on your finger you will be turned away. They don't care if it can't come off, the rules state, all jewlery including wedding bands/engagement rings must come off.

Archived