Advice 3 nights at Seward/anchorage after cruise

ZOO

We have only 3 nights available after cruise from radiance. I don't think I have enough time travel to Denali . So I decide stay at Seward Windsong lodge for two nights and Anchorage downtown for one night. I plan rent a one way car from Seward to Anchorage.

Any advice?

We are in Seward for a few days post-cruise too.

I'd highly recommend looking into a Toursaver coupon book. (The other coupon book, Northern Lights, is sold out online but you might be able to find a partially-used one online somewhere). There are many 2 for 1 coupons that apply to Seward and Anchorage.

While in Seward we are doing:

Northwestern Fjords tour

Major Maritime evening cruise with dinner

Sea Life Center

Kayaking (beginner 4 hour paddle from Miller's Landing)

Exit Glacier, ranger talk

In Anchorage we will visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center, and probably have dinner at the bar in the Millennium hotel to watch the seaplanes take off and land.

If you're driving to Anchorage, you might consider a stop at the Wild Life Center and the tram at Alyeska on the way.

A note on the coupons: Be sure you check with the Kenai Fjords cruise office and Major Marine on the availability of the coupons for when you want to do their tours. They only take a certain number.

If you are still considering Denali, know that we got off the ship in Seward on Friday at 8am, went to Denali and made it back for 8pm flight out Sunday night. It was absolutely worth it.

Here's how:

Friday 8am:

Alaska Cruise Transfer bus from Seward to Anchorage

Friday noon: we met a friend of mine for drive to Denali. Here you'd have to rent a car...

Friday 8pm: arrive in Healy, AK after stops for lunch and to walk around Talkeetna.

Saturday 7:30am tour of Denali. One of my great life experiences. Saw grizzly bears, a mom and 2 cubs within about 30 feet.

Saturday 3:30pm tour ended.

Saturday 5pm dinner, then saw several moose on drive back to hotel.

Sunday 11am: drive back to Anchorage

Sunday 3:30p: back in Anchorage

The trip was great and didn't feel rushed at all, actually.

If you are still considering Denali, know that we got off the ship in Seward on Friday at 8am, went to Denali and made it back for 8pm flight out Sunday night. It was absolutely worth it.

Here's how:

Friday 8am:

Alaska Cruise Transfer bus from Seward to Anchorage

Friday noon: we met a friend of mine for drive to Denali. Here you'd have to rent a car...

Friday 8pm: arrive in Healy, AK after stops for lunch and to walk around Talkeetna.

Saturday 7:30am tour of Denali. One of my great life experiences. Saw grizzly bears, a mom and 2 cubs within about 30 feet.

Saturday 3:30pm tour ended.

Saturday 5pm dinner, then saw several moose on drive back to hotel.

Sunday 11am: drive back to Anchorage

Sunday 3:30p: back in Anchorage

The trip was great and didn't feel rushed at all, actually.

Thanks. But I have already prepaid hotel in Seward.

Did you compare costs of 1-way rental car with bus or train from Seward to Anchorage?

I think you will enjoy Seward & Windsong Lodge.

5 yrs ago we stayed 1 nt in Holiday Inn in Seward & next day took a bus to Anchorage. One of most fun FREE things to do was stand at J Dock Seafood Co. & watch fishermen bring in their huge catches!! They hang the fish from a spot where they then take a picture of the group catch before local men cut & filet the fish!! It was amazing how many fish & how large some are. You can probably google "pictures of fish at J Dock in Seward" -- also some videos on youtube. J Dock seafood company ships fish back to USA etc...

One of most fun FREE things to do was stand at J Dock Seafood Co. & watch fishermen bring in their huge catches!! They hang the fish from a spot where they then take a picture of the group catch before local men cut & filet the fish!! It was amazing how many fish & how large some are. You can probably google "pictures of fish at J Dock in Seward" -- also some videos on youtube. J Dock seafood company ships fish back to USA etc...

We caught this as we were walking back to the Holiday Inn Express from dinner at Ray's a couple weeks ago...fun to see!

This one was over 100 pounds!

9186900665_31bf2c76e3_c.jpg

9186897467_8abcbf761e_c.jpg

http://www.seward.com http://www.anchorage.net

Hopefully, you already know something about these areas and why you choose them? What are your interests?

A car rental will work out very well, since it allows you to include many stops along the way.

Figure out how you are using your time, the car rental will allow time for a nice drive, stops AND touring Anchorage, if you leave in the morning after your second night.

Archived