Upgraded to Balcony--Pays to make a phone call!

Thank you RCI!! Here's my story.....

We are sailing Explorer of the Seas this month and have already made final payment. I was never able to secure a price drop before final payment, but decided to take a peek at current prices. We originally booked 2 side by side cabins on deck 2, Cat H & I for my family of 5.

Prices seemed to have dropped for a balcony, so I made a friendly call to my TA. I was able to upgrade to 2 joining balconies, Cat E1 at no additional charge. Able to keep my $565 OBC too!!!!! Best 45 minute phone call I've ever made!!!! :D :D :D Whoo hooo!!!!

Thank you RCI!! Here's my story.....

We are sailing Explorer of the Seas this month and have already made final payment. I was never able to secure a price drop before final payment, but decided to take a peek at current prices. We originally booked 2 side by side cabins on deck 2, Cat H & I for my family of 5.

Prices seemed to have dropped for a balcony, so I made a friendly call to my TA. I was able to upgrade to 2 joining balconies, Cat E1 at no additional charge. Able to keep my $565 OBC too!!!!! Best 45 minute phone call I've ever made!!!! :D :D :D Whoo hooo!!!!

Congrats!!!

Just curious..."no additional charge"....do you truly mean zero extra or a minimal amount extra? I am only asking because i read on another thread where someone was not allowed to upgrade because the higher category was less than what they had already paid. They were told the new category had to be at least $1 higher. Just curious.

Congrats!!!

Just curious..."no additional charge"....do you truly mean zero extra or a minimal amount extra? I am only asking because i read on another thread where someone was not allowed to upgrade because the higher category was less than what they had already paid. They were told the new category had to be at least $1 higher. Just curious.

Normally, you can upgrade to a higher category for no additonal charge if the higher category is priced the same or lower than what you have paid. However, if the higher category is part of a sale that is restricted to new bookings, then you may have to pay more in order to move to the higher category.

Nope, didn't get charged a penny more. I strictly got a room upgrade, no additional fees & no charges! I still probably paid more than balconies are going for now, but if I didn't call we'd still be in regular ocean view room without balconies!!!!!

I had to call my TA, who in turn had to call RCI. it did take almost an hour after being on hold & then finding two rooms together--but we did it!!!!!

Normally, you can upgrade to a higher category for no additonal charge if the higher category is priced the same or lower than what you have paid. However, if the higher category is part of a sale that is restricted to new bookings, then you may have to pay more in order to move to the higher category.

That is what I had always understood but had read where someone had a different experience on another thread the other day.

Nope, didn't get charged a penny more. I strictly got a room upgrade, no additional fees & no charges! I still probably paid more than balconies are going for now, but if I didn't call we'd still be in regular ocean view room without balconies!!!!!

I had to call my TA, who in turn had to call RCI. it did take almost an hour after being on hold & then finding two rooms together--but we did it!!!!!

Thanks for the confirmation! Congrats again.

So great that you were able to do this!! I am booked on Liberty of the Seas on 11/23/13 but booked it myself by calling RCI. Would I still be able to score one of these upgrades if prices drop since I didn't use a TA? If so, how? Any help appreciated, thanks!

So great that you were able to do this!! I am booked on Liberty of the Seas on 11/23/13 but booked it myself by calling RCI. Would I still be able to score one of these upgrades if prices drop since I didn't use a TA? If so, how? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Sure, it does not matter how you booked. You would just have to call Royal instead of the TA.

You can do it yourself, and since you don't have a TA, it's a bit easier. Keep watching your cruise online,and if you see a price drop call RCI. If its a real price drop, and not one with restrictions to new bookings only, they will change it as long as you aren't past final payment. If you are, then you can upgrade only with the restrictions posted here previously.

Good luck, and keep watching!

Archived