Powerbords being confiscated

Drelix

Pretty sure the Australian market is the only one where a quad share (4 people) crusie costs MORE than a twin share (2 people) for a comparable cruise in the US or UK market.

Plus the Aussies have to put up with ancient ships (with ancient wiring) other markets would never accept. Hence the crackdown on powerboards etc.

We love cruising but would never cruise any of the ships "tailor made" for the Australian market.

• 1 month later...

Plus the Aussies have to put up with ancient ships (with ancient wiring) other markets would never accept. Hence the crackdown on powerboards etc.

We love cruising but would never cruise any of the ships "tailor made" for the Australian market.

I previously missed this load of RUBBISH!

Earlier this year we cruised on Royal Caribbeans Voyager of the Seas -- they were VERY strict on NO POWERBOARDS. This matter has nothing to do with "ships "tailor made" for the Australian market.".

And I am VERY pleased that people like BADGERDEE do not choose to cruise on ships which do serve the Australian market.

Barry

True Barry. There has been nothing at all wrong with the wiring on the Pacific Dawn or Sun Princess. Have never had a problem on either. We have found both P&O Australia and Princess Cruises to be very safety conscious and have no hesitation cruising on either.

Oh, and it's a fair bet none of our captains down under will fall into a lifeboat, either. :D

Pretty sure the Australian market is the only one where a quad share (4 people) crusie costs MORE than a twin share (2 people) for a comparable cruise in the US or UK market.

LOL.....UMMM I am not sure that any quad cabin in Oz could be more expensive than a twin share on your chosen line Silverseas ...... anywhere in the world.

Most Aussies have to factor in the cost and time of long haul flights to take advantage of the prices I think you are talking about. If you add the flight costs and accommodation before and after, the comparison is not so favourable.

The cruise lines know this and price what the market will take....fair?? You be the judge of that.

Personally I think cruising out of Australia is a fantastic and relatively cheap holiday compared with land based resorts.:)

Oh and by the way this issue with power boards is across many lines based here and visiting utilising new & older ships, so I don't think it's due to 'Ancient Wiring' at all.

Edited by Bella cruiser

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. A quad share cabin costs more than a twin share on the same cruise, whether in the US, UK, Australia or anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

The average phone battery charger uses less than 500 milliamps of input power, so if you had 7 connected to power all your cameras/phones/tablets you would be using a total of around 3.5 amps power.

The hair-dryer provided by the ship draws around 6 amps, hair-straighteners will pull at least 5 amps and the fridge around 3 amps.

So there is NO WAY your stack of phone chargers etc are going to max out the cabins power and short the ships circuitry even if all 700 plus cabins turn on at the same time.

Pacific jewel has been confiscating powerboards today anyone know anything about this or have friends on board?

Good idea. I don't want to be faced with having to abandon a burning ship at sea because some dolt took a crummy old board from home onto the ship. And there will always be someone who brings something from home that is 'good enough' without thinking about the danger it can pose. :mad: