Would a suit be appropriate on Christmas Eve?

dln929

I've just finished up pressing my husband's suit for a business meeting tomorrow and it's gotten me to thinking if should pack it in December for our cruise (the 8 night Xmas cruise to the Caribbean). Haha! A Christmas in July question. ;)

I know Azamara goes on a country club casual dress code but Christmas is Christmas and he always wears it to dinner. Would he be terribly out of place if he wore it at dinner on the Quest? If he sticks out like a sore thumb he'd just as soon forgo it for this year.

On another Chrismassy note, is a non-denomenational service offered? Last year on the Equinox there was one at midnight and the crew sang and the passengers sang and it was the loveliest thing ever. There was a really big turnout for it and everyone felt the holiday spirit.

there is a midnight service. very few come. crew does come too. no singing as it is a catholic service. around 530-6 there is a sing along at the piano

also i have seen men in suits or at least a sports jacket.. one year more were dressed up than the other.

same wih women. i dressed up and others wore like thry were going to a market.

so you will see it all.

We recently travelled on the Quest. I often wore a suit at dinner, in the main restaurant and in the speciality restaurants, and I did not feel over-dressed. In fact many gentlemen wore jackets or suits.

If we were on board on Christmas Day I feel sure I would wear a suit and would see many others dressed similarly.

Enjoy a great day - when it comes.

We recently travelled on the Quest. I often wore a suit at dinner, in the main restaurant and in the speciality restaurants, and I did not feel over-dressed. In fact many gentlemen wore jackets or suits.

If we were on board on Christmas Day I feel sure I would wear a suit and would see many others dressed similarly.

Enjoy a great day - when it comes.

Have to agree Bob. Our experience on Journey was New Year not Christmas but as many people had been b2b we can perhaps assume the same would apply. Many were in suits others in jackets or open necked shirts, ladies were almost all dressed up even if the dressing up was only some extra pretty jewellery, though most had a sparkly top. So the suit will certainly not be out of place

Thanks, all. A suit it is. And a red tie too to mark the season! Robin, I like the idea of a sing-along at the piano. That sounds like fun.

it was. done it twice. once dressed up and once not. changed later.

i wil lsay two years in a row i brought candy on board and made little bags. candy went from the Engine room and laundry to gift shop to cabin people.

this little gift made their day. the crew is far from home and the act makes it easier on them.

i have been told more than once they need money. true but candy is always a gift money is just part of the job. my butlers collect magnet from their stops so anything works.

We were on the Journey in South America for Christmas 2011. Many were more dressed up for Christmas Eve dinner at the main dining room than on other evenings. There was a midnight Catholic mass that evening -- the priest celebrated mass for the crew earlier in the evening and on Xmas morning.

Because Hanukkah was very late that year (yes, there was a rabbi on board and the lighting of the candles ceremony was listed on the daily newspaper), the Christmas show was a Santa Claus/Holy Night/Hanukkah extravaganza. Shows are not my thing, but Eric de Gray, his staff, and the featured pianist did a fantastic job. It was festive, superb! At midnight, the area around the Mosaic Cafe was turned into a gingerbread/ice sculptures fairyland. It was not a full fledged midnight buffet, but there were cookies and little nibbles galore. Everyone was admiring the decorations and talking about the Christmas show.

Santa Clause came on board on Christmas morning bearing gifts for the children on board, including the captain's son.

Enjoy your Christmas cruise!

Archived