pros/cons of cruise/flight/hotel package

I thought I posted this last night but must have dreamed it. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing a cruise/flight/hotel/transfer package? Good or bad? Price looks good - should I be aware or go for it? :)

I generally book our own hotel and flights. When we started cruising our TA booked our flights thru the cruise lines, but now I do that. I recently booked our flights to Sydney, Aust for next March using Choice Air and she told me we got a great price and she wouldn't be able to match it. I stopped using their transfers as well because you have to sit around and wait for everyone needing that bus before you can go to the airport. One cruise, because we were late, we were told by the driver, that he wouldn't be able to get us there in time so we grabbed a cab. I still worry about those on the bus waiting.

Bob I don't know who is following who around our boards, we both seem to end up in the same ones. LOL

Pro to using the cruise line for a package is that your planning is greatly reduced. For really exotic destinations this can be a big pro.

Con to using the package is that it costs way way more than booking your own details. Way back in 2005 we did a South America cruise, and I was a little concerned about what hotels to book, etc. So, I had my TA break down the cruise line offering for our post cruise trip to Peru. The cruise line wanted almost $4000 for flights tours and hotels. I booked the exact flights, the exact hotels, the exact Hiram Bingham train, etc. I paid about $1500 for the wife and I.

So, if you are unable or unwilling to do the research and you don't mind over paying, use the cruise line. Otherwise, the sky is the limit on what you can do and save.

jc

Back when we started cruising (late 70's), cruise packages like this were the standard. Cruise fare included air fare/transfers from "gateway" cities, and if you had to stay overnight before the cruise, they included a hotel near the port as well. That model lasted well into the early 90's before it evolved into the a la carte model used today.

For international flights, researching Choice Air will enable you to see what they have to offer by class of service and then go to the respective airline and compare prices. My experience has been that Choice Air international fares are far below what I will find booking on my own.

I do agree that hotels through the cruise lines can be more expensive, but it also includes your transfers from hotel to port.

The main thing is to research, research, research before making a final decision.

I agree with all that all of you have said and in the past I've booked cruise and I have used Choice Air. This is a package through a travel agency. We have already checked prices of cruise with RCI and I have done a dummy reservation on Choice Air so we know what those would cost if purchased separately. The package price still looks good. I'm just over cautious and am trying to make sure that their is nothing I have missed or something that I haven't asked. Trying to avoid being disappointed in the end. Thanks for all of your useful information and any more would be appreciated.

Archived