Key Card Question

vcdarty

In the lift - insert into slot several times and press button - remain on floor you got in on because you have done it wrong... wait for someone else to get in and join in with the button pressing (from my experience it usually takes an average of five grills passengers to work out how to get to the grills deck, or a passing small child - but they are a rarity on Cunard).

In the lounge - take a seat and someone will serve you - nice and simple (I've often wondered if you could pass yourself off as a grills guest by purchasing a certain item at Staples but have never actually tried it out :D )

New to this board--seems wittier than some others . . . .

Query: how do the key cards work for Grills passengers? Elevators, lounge, etc., etc.

Which ship are you sailing on? There is key card access on QV and QE but not on QM2.

Query: how do the key cards work for Grills passengers? Elevators, lounge, etc., etc.

Although I didn't sail Grills, I discovered that placing the key card close to metal, other cards with metallic strips and anything magnetic, would disable the card. I had to get 3 new cards throughout the 19 days I spent on board.

I tried very hard to avoid potential card disablers, but in this day and age it's difficult.

Blue: we're on QM2. So all the stuff I've heard about limited access to some areas of the ship are not exactly factual? OK by me.

Memories: when DW was doing crossings en famille back in the 50's, French Line, the kids had games finding "secret" passages into first, with the amused connivance of stewards.

J

Although I didn't sail Grills, I discovered that placing the key card close to metal, other cards with metallic strips and anything magnetic, would disable the card. I had to get 3 new cards throughout the 19 days I spent on board.

I tried very hard to avoid potential card disablers, but in this day and age it's difficult.

Yes. I took me a while before I realized that my lovely evening bag with the magnetic clasp was wiping the magnetic strip on my key card. Good times.:eek:

Blue: we're on QM2. So all the stuff I've heard about limited access to some areas of the ship are not exactly factual? OK by me.J
My parents (in Brtannia grade), on their first cruise on QM2, tried hard to find the areas they weren't allowed to enter. To my father, it seemed the whole ship was his to explore. I pointed out the one modest-sized lounge and two nearby restuarants, the small deck area overlooking the stern and the small (interior) lounge on Deck 9. They were amazed; they expected, on such a cast ship, to see whole areas that were "out of bounds" as in the old days of ocean liners.

On a later transatlantic crossing they said again and again to me that they felt they had the run of the entire ship, and certainly didn't miss the bits they "couldn't use" :) .

Hope this helps, there are pictures of QM2's interiors and a sort-of-tour of the ship via the link below.

Have a wonderful time, Bon Voyage!

All best wishes, :)

In the lounge - take a seat and someone will serve you - nice and simple (I've often wondered if you could pass yourself off as a grills guest by purchasing a certain item at Staples but have never actually tried it out :D )

Is that "certain item" a lanyard to hang your keycard around your neck. It seemed to me that only Grills passengers needed to have their cards on show at all times :)

If you are in the Grills (QG at least) you should get a little leather wallet in your stateroom. It is perfect for the card and for carrying your calling/business cards and should provide protection from any magnetic interference. When not on board they also serve as perfect holders for fare cards such as those used on NY subways and elsewhere. Personally, having to wear my ID around my neck at work, I'd never wear one whilst on holiday.

Personally, having to wear my ID around my neck at work, I'd never wear one whilst on holiday.

I put my keycard in my wallet like every other card I have (since they are of course the same size as a credit card).

I think having a card round your neck on a cruise on a bit of string makes you look a bit simple !

The card is a different color for Grills pax. They then insert the card into a slot, which enables the lift to proceed to the Grills level. This is only on QE/QV.

Your iphone and your ereader will also ruin your cabin key. I "brilliantly" put my room card in a card slot on my ereader's cover. Since I wasn't carrying anything else, I learned. But when I had my iphone and key only in a purse, I learned that combination is deadly too. This was confirmed by the front desk staff.

The first response about needing to slide the card 5 times in the lift to reach the grills is funny, but it did seem to always take 2 or3, I don't know why. And when one of the 2 lifts to the grills goes out of commission for days, you don't feel so "royal", waiting forever for the one lift and for it to have space for you.

We messed up our room key card on another brand of ship, several times in a row.

The third time I approached the purser, I said, I need a card again. She came out with a sweater someone had lost.

I kept the key card in the front pocket of the cardigan for the rest of our crossing and had no more problems, expect being a little warm at times.

David

Your iphone and your ereader will also ruin your cabin key. I "brilliantly" put my room card in a card slot on my ereader's cover. Since I wasn't carrying anything else, I learned. But when I had my iphone and key only in a purse, I learned that combination is deadly too. This was confirmed by the front desk staff.

The first response about needing to slide the card 5 times in the lift to reach the grills is funny, but it did seem to always take 2 or3, I don't know why. And when one of the 2 lifts to the grills goes out of commission for days, you don't feel so "royal", waiting forever for the one lift and for it to have space for you.

I understand not everyone can use them, but the stairs do go up to the restaurants, correct?

I can't help wondering how so many people manage to damage the magnetic strip on the key cards. This is exactly the same technology as used on credit and debit cards, especially in the USA where chip cards are still relatively rare as far as I'm aware. Do you all regularly destroy your bank cards, or do you actually understand that they should be kept away from magnets e.g. the clasp on your e-reader case. The obvious place to keep the card when onboard is either in your trouser pocket or shirt breast pocket as you probably need to produce it every time you leave your cabin.

We've never had problems with magnets on the QM2 and QV, just on the QE which may be because the cards are more sensitive as they are also needed to switch on the electricity in the cabins.

That may not be a factor, as in my experience any piece of plastic (or even strong card) will operate the lights etc, provided the size is right. A credit card, for instance, will work. This is true of hotels too - at least, the ones we have used. We actually had more problems with the key card on QV than QE. On both ships, though, you do seem to need to insert the card in the lifts (elevators) several times in order to get access to the Grills area. Fine once you realise this, but it took us several cruises!

That may not be a factor, as in my experience any piece of plastic (or even strong card) will operate the lights etc, provided the size is right. A credit card, for instance, will work. This is true of hotels too - at least, the ones we have used.
A friend, on board QE, used a supermarket loyalty card to keep the power "on" when he was "out" so that he could charge his laptop. The steward cleaned the cabin and removed the card on the way out... it took two visits to the Purser's Desk to get the card back (the steward had handed it in as lost property rather than simply leave it where it was, or leave it on the desk. The card had little or no value, but why not leave it where it was?). I've been warned; don't leave a credit card in the slot when charging a laptop/camera etc.

A friend, on board QE, used a supermarket loyalty card to keep the power "on" when he was "out" so that he could charge his laptop. The steward cleaned the cabin and removed the card on the way out... it took two visits to the Purser's Desk to get the card back (the steward had handed it in as lost property rather than simply leave it where it was, or leave it on the desk. The card had little or no value, but why not leave it where it was?). I've been warned; don't leave a credit card in the slot when charging a laptop/camera etc.

So no tip for that steward, eh?

Credit and debit cards appear sensitive to magnets like the QE cards are.There's often a sign at some checkouts that tells you not to put your card on the thing that de-magnetises security tags.

Hi, this is a message fro Pepperrn,

I have just checked out your lovely photos of QM2 as we will be on the transatlantic crossing in December. I was especially interested in the videos of rough weather.

I am a bit of a light weight as regards sea legs. Was there a lot of disruption in rough weather? Should I take sea sickness pills? I will have ginger tea with me, as a matter of course.

Thanks for your help and apologies for butting in on the key card question. We have used a folded up bit of card to keep electricity on in hotel rooms before now.:D

Hi, this is a message fro Pepperrn, I have just checked out your lovely photos of QM2 as we will be on the transatlantic crossing in December. I was especially interested in the videos of rough weather. I am a bit of a light weight as regards sea legs. Was there a lot of disruption in rough weather? Should I take sea sickness pills? I will have ginger tea with me, as a matter of course. Thanks for your help and apologies for butting in on the key card question. We have used a folded up bit of card to keep electricity on in hotel rooms before now.:D
Hi Kristal Blade,

Thank you for your kind words about the photos :o , and your interest in the videos.

Firstly, that was the very first time on any of the four Cunard ships that I've been on that I could feel the ship "move". Normally, QM2 (esp) is as steady as a rock, as I said, in all my voyages, I've not felt her pitch or roll at all (still haven't felt her roll...).

Secondly, if she does encounter rough weather in December, there is no better passenger ship to be on when dealing with the motion of the ocean.

I would either take your sea-sickness pills at the first sign of problems, or the (very effective) shot available at the medical centre.

There was little or no disruption to the activities on board during the worst of the storm, pools being closed was the most obvious.

Stay away from the bow area (Illuminations, Gym, Library, Commodore Club, Atlantic Room) during the storm and you should be OK.

Also, many, many people find their "sea-legs" on the second day of the crossing and the problem goes away somewhat.

Only once, at the end of (late seating) dinner was the storm rough enough to be noticeable in the Britannia Restaurant and the Chart Room & Golden Lion. The rest of the time there was almost no movement that far back and that low down in the hull.

I've many, many more minutes of video footage of the storms still to post (one day... ).

Thank you again. I was based in Plymouth for many years... know it well :) .

All best wishes,

Hi Pepper,

Thanks for your rapid reply. I feel much better about the crossing now. I crossed Bay of Biscay in January last year and coped with only a couple of mornings in bed, with a dry toast breakfast! I was always ready for my dinner. But that was on P&O Adonia, a much smaller ship.

We have sailed on the old QE2 which was lovely, we survived a Force 9 and only knew how bad it was by watching the "Nose" camera footage on the TV in the room.

Rain in PLymouth today, bet you remember that! But we have had a lovely month of sunshine.

Thanks again,

Libby:)

Archived