Coral Princess versus NCL Pearl

huskerc

We are trying to squeeze in an Alaska cruise towards the end of this year's season and have narrowed it down to two that we think we can work our schedules around.

One is the 8/28 sailing of the Coral Princess, Vancouver to Whittier (Vancouver, British Columbia | Ketchikan, Alaska | Juneau, Alaska | Skagway, Alaska | Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) | College Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) | Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska).

The other is the 9/22 sailing of the NCL Pearl, Seattle to Vancouver (Seattle; Juneau; Skagway; Glacier Bay; Ketchikan; Victoria, BC, Canada; Vancouver, Canada).

In no real order, here are the factors we are considering:

• Both ships go to Glacier Bay, which was something we wanted (we typically cruise Celebrity but obviously we need to look elsewhere with this condition).
  • We have sailed on NCL before and liked it, but never on Princess.
  • We won't really have time for cruise tours so the fact that the Coral Princess ends in Whittier is less advantageous than it might seem. We'll be spending a day or less before or after either cruise.
  • This won't be our only trip to Alaska, so we don't feel obligated to squeeze in everything possible.

At this point I would say we are leaning towards the NCL ship, because it's a bit more convenient--start/end on a weekend gives a bit more flexibility with time, while the Coral's schedule means we probably need another weekday off of work due to the fact that it seems like redeyes are the only way out of Anchorage. Seattle and Vancouver have many more flight options.

Any thoughts on the itineraries? I'd love to hear from people who have done the open-ended cruises beginning or ending north and how the scenery and sightseeing compare with the ones that begin and end in the south. I've asked in the Princess forum as well but I wanted to get opinions from people with experience on both.

Princess does Alaska really well. I doubt you'd be disappointed. A good friend just returned a month or so ago. She's sailed on almost every cruise line and said the Alaska cruise was the best she'd experienced. She was on another Princess ship though.

You are correct that in order to see Glacier Bay you will have to go with NCL, Princess, or HAL as they are the only lines with the most permits.

I was on the Pearl last year on the same cruise and had a wonderful time. AK is really the star of the show - not the ship. I have not cruised on Princess so I can't compare the two for you.

As for the itineraries - only you can weigh the pros and cons of each. IMHO doing a one way makes sense if you can also spend a few days in the interior of AK - even if it is just around the Kenai area.

The only drawback to the Pearls' route is that you hit Juneau in late afternoon and into the evening - they also dock on the far end of town - but do run a shuttle bus to downtown. Spending all day in Skagway is nice as is Glacier Bay the following day.

In no real order, here are the factors we are considering:

• (we typically cruise Celebrity but obviously we need to look elsewhere with this condition).
  • We have sailed on NCL before and liked it, but never on Princess.

If Celebrity is your favorite cruise line, then I would choose Princess. It's most like Celebrity. Still, if time works best, NCL would be the answer. Food is subjective but the food is much better on Princess IMO. We'll be on the Coral next year.....................but have 2 NCL cruises booked :D

.....I had the absolute most fantastic time. That is what turned me on to cruising.

I'll be going on my 17th cruise next month on the Breakaway.

I like what NCL has to offer, but I liked the one-way cruise we did on the Coral Princess. I'm sure either will tickle your fancy but I know Princess did a great job on the cruise.

:)

wasiii

If Celebrity is your favorite cruise line, then I would choose Princess. It's most like Celebrity. Still, if time works best, NCL would be the answer. Food is subjective but the food is much better on Princess IMO. We'll be on the Coral next year.....................but have 2 NCL cruises booked :D

I was a die hard Celebrity fan (lost count of cruises) until I tried Princess. My last 6 cruises have been on Princess and they have been outstanding. However, I am returning to NCL for a holiday cruise out of NYC. My last NCL cruise, many, many years ago was enjoyable and I am looking forward to this one, but there is just something about Princess. I sort of lost Celebrity after 3 or 4 sailings on the Constellation and Millennium. I think they lost on the quality of food in the dining room, perhaps serving too many people. Celebrity does much better on smaller ships. But Princess handles large scale food production really, really, well, IMHO. And btw, I have been on the Coral; she is lovely.

At this point I would say we are leaning towards the NCL ship, because it's a bit more convenient--start/end on a weekend gives a bit more flexibility with time, while the Coral's schedule means we probably need another weekday off of work due to the fact that it seems like redeyes are the only way out of Anchorage. Seattle and Vancouver have many more flight options.

Any thoughts on the itineraries? I'd love to hear from people who have done the open-ended cruises beginning or ending north and how the scenery and sightseeing compare with the ones that begin and end in the south. I've asked in the Princess forum as well but I wanted to get opinions from people with experience on both.

Seems like you are still waiting for someone who has gone north up to Anchorage . . . .Sorry, I have been on an Alaskan cruise 3 times and still have not gone that far north . . . I agree with lolane1 Princess does do Alaska right. And if you end up going on the one with Juneau docking later in the day - we took an evening whale watching that was simply wonderful, great buffet and whales . . . yes, Juneau is the place to go whale watching, you are guaranteed to see them there.

Archived