I am feeling so liberated!

Karysa

For the first time in a dozen cruises I have not packed formal wear and it feels so good. :D. I have like 10 dresses packed because I like dresses but nothing formal because I didn't want DH to feel he needed to pack a jacket and dress shoes. I should have done this years ago. Anybody else change things up recently and if so are you glad that you did?:)

i used to carry a garmet bag, a suitcase and a study duffel type bag on rollers with nightgowns, undies and such.

Last two times..I left the garmet bag. Took enough clothes to fill an ordinary suitcase. Then the duffel bag, which I love..you could stuff an army in there..shoes, books, whatever...but mainly for gowns..housecoat to get coffee delivery in the morning...undies.

Yeah. I liked it. Tool less time unpacking. Like you..I take dresses. I am older. I like them. I think they are cooler. I did wear them to dinner..and with new make-up, combed hair..I felt fine. Formal Night...I took a crepe skirt and blouse..which can be rolled to a tiny bundle...and a fancy tunic to wear with black leggings. That was COMFORTABLE. easy to pack. I am doing that again.

Never again a foo foo dress. Could be my age. And no more high heels. I can hardly walk in sneakers when the ship is sailing.

We're not packing gowns and tuxes at home for our next cruise either. A few people said that Alaska cruises are less formal in general -- and I don't feel like lugging along that extra suitcase with everyone's formalwear. Maybe every few sailings we'll get that family formal portrait updated, but, like you, I'm glad not to have the extra this time.

I enjoy formal night. But if you don't, that's ok. Just don't eat in the MDR that night. :rolleyes:

I brought 10 dresses. Not one formal one in the mix though. I am certainly covered for "elegant" night and DH is bringing a couple of very sharp dress shirts so we will be fine for the MDR according to our hosts Carnival.;) We are not planning on ruffling feathers or anything just no classic formal wear for us this time.

We're not packing gowns and tuxes at home for our next cruise either. A few people said that Alaska cruises are less formal in general -- and I don't feel like lugging along that extra suitcase with everyone's formalwear. Maybe every few sailings we'll get that family formal portrait updated, but, like you, I'm glad not to have the extra this time.

I am honestly getting tired of stuffy posed pictures with harsh lighting so I won't even miss that part of dressing in formal wear.:D

Same here. I have a few dresses and skirts, but am leaving the "fancy" dresses and high heels at home. I like to dress up for dinner, but that usually means a light weight dress or nice capri's and a blouse and strappy sandals or blinged out flip flops (not beach flip flops). More like the business casual that I wear to work. Unfortunately, I always seem to over pack because I like having options and I never know what kind of "dress" mood I will be in. :rolleyes:

I enjoy formal night. But if you don't, that's ok. Just don't eat in the MDR that night. :rolleyes:

I'll wear what I want to formal night. If that upsets you then I suggest YOU don't eat in the mdr that night.

For the first time in a dozen cruises I have not packed formal wear and it feels so good. :D. I have like 10 dresses packed because I like dresses but nothing formal because I didn't want DH to feel he needed to pack a jacket and dress shoes. I should have done this years ago. Anybody else change things up recently and if so are you glad that you did?:)

Nah. We both still enjoy dressing up for each other. Formal only when the event dictates it, but have never been on a cruise that required formal.

But for burgers and burritos, we wear what we want to.

Ooooooooooooo why will you be there to look at us and point a finger ?????? Scary stuff man !!!

I'll wear what I want to formal night. If that upsets you then I suggest YOU don't eat in the mdr that night.

No I follow the dress code in the MDR for dinner, because that is what they ask. I don't have an issue with whatever anyone chooses to wear. But I do think that IF you choose NOT to dress up for formal night, that you should eat elsewhere. You can be dressed without dressing to the nines. There's alot of room in between a tuxedo and shorts. I'll eat wherever I want. So will you. So long as you aren't asked to leave. That's not my problem. I was giving my opinion, which I have a right to. If you don't want to follow the dress code, then don't. But don't try to have it both ways. You don't have to agree or like my opinion. That's why we all have one. And I don't believe I said I was "upset." But apparently you are.

Nah. We both still enjoy dressing up for each other. Formal only when the event dictates it, but have never been on a cruise that required formal.

But for burgers and burritos, we wear what we want to.

I see DH in a jacket and tie 5 days a week so I associate that look with home and work stress. ;). Several of the dresses that i packed don't take any more room than his shirts, and that beats dressy to my man.;)

Archived