I am feeling so liberated!

Karysa

I brought 10 dresses. Not one formal one in the mix though. I am certainly covered for "elegant" night and DH is bringing a couple of very sharp dress shirts so we will be fine for the MDR according to our hosts Carnival.;) We are not planning on ruffling feathers or anything just no classic formal wear for us this time.

Nothing wrong with that. The last cruise I went on I wore simple sundresses everynight. Didn't feel like dressing up even more for formal night. The one before I did wear a long formal gown. To each his or her own. My comment wasn't meant to offend anyone. My issue is when people wear shorts and jeans and flip flops, etc. in the MDR. To me that's rude. I wouldn't do that any night.

I enjoy formal night. But if you don't, that's ok. Just don't eat in the MDR that night. :rolleyes:

Most cruise lines are becoming less "formal" in dress. Seems like that's what most people want. Maybe you should move on to a line that is still hanging on to old customs. There are still a few out there.

I see DH in a jacket and tie 5 days a week so I associate that look with home and work stress. ;). Several of the dresses that i packed don't take any more room than his shirts, and that beats dressy to my man.;)

Why would someone wear a jacket and tie at home for 5 days a week?

Most cruise lines are becoming less "formal" in dress. Seems like that's what most people want. Maybe you should move on to a line that is still hanging on to old customs. There are still a few out there.

Well the ones that I go on that still have a formal night, I like. Not sure what's so wrong with that or why everyone is so offended. My favorite outfit happens to be sweats and a t-shirt. But if I want to eat in the MDR on a night deemed formal night, then I will either dress up or eat elsewhere. Don't see what's wrong with going that route. It's non-offense and completely compliant. Some people DO like to dress up. I have a family and rarely get to go out, so when I do cruise that's my chance to dress up. I look forward to it though I myself haven't done it on every cruise I've been on. People act like if you enjoy formal night that you're wrong. I never said or intended that and I'm befuzzled at the nasty responses for me simply saying that it's your choice if you choose not to dress up, just don't eat in the MDR. Maybe because that's what I've done and it wasn't a big deal. My goodness I apologize if what I said was that offensive. It wasn't meant to be. Perhaps it came out wrong. It's not that big of a deal to me. Geesh.

Well the ones that I go on that still have a formal night, I like. Not sure what's so wrong with that or why everyone is so offended. My favorite outfit happens to be sweats and a t-shirt. But if I want to eat in the MDR on a night deemed formal night, then I will either dress up or eat elsewhere. Don't see what's wrong with going that route. It's non-offense and completely compliant. Some people DO like to dress up. I have a family and rarely get to go out, so when I do cruise that's my chance to dress up. I look forward to it though I myself haven't done it on every cruise I've been on. People act like if you enjoy formal night that you're wrong. I never said or intended that and I'm befuzzled at the nasty responses for me simply saying that it's your choice if you choose not to dress up, just don't eat in the MDR. Maybe because that's what I've done and it wasn't a big deal. My goodness I apologize if what I said was that offensive. It wasn't meant to be. Perhaps it came out wrong. It's not that big of a deal to me. Geesh.

Every line I sail still has one.

If someone is packing their less than best clothes, so be it. That's how they will be seen. It might actually be that persons best.

Gotta love dresses.., that is most of what I packed. Not only is it easier and more "freeing", but it is cheaper to buy a dress than a shirt and pair of pants! My mom, grandma, and I each have 2 dresses made by the same company and close sizes so that we can borrow each others. Pretty much the same dresses but in different colors. Regular price at Ross, cheaper than any shirt and pair of shorts that I own.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No I don't. I gave an opinion. You don't see my brow beating anyone on this board. And I don't know what you would know about any other activity I conduct on the internet.

you opinion was that nobody should eat in the mdr unless their dinnerware meets your standards.

you don't set or enforce the rules so your opinion, like many of the posts you have in this thread, are meaningless.

again, if you don't like what I choose to wear on formal night then I suggest YOU eat elsewhere.

just an opinion....

you opinion was that nobody should eat in the mdr unless their dinnerware meets your standards.

you don't set or enforce the rules so your opinion, like many of the posts you have in this thread, are meaningless.

again, if you don't like what I choose to wear on formal night then I suggest YOU eat elsewhere.

just an opinion....

show me where I said meet my standards? show me where I said anything about who should enforce the rules? I gave an opinion based on how I govern myself. I believe I have already apologized if my original post was offense, which is more that I got back. And it's o.k. So whatever. Not going to keep arguing when I've stated that I didn't mean to offend but still have a right to my opinion.

I think that you forgot that you were replying to a post on the Carnival Board. Formal wear is not required so telling me that if we don't wear formal wear we shouldn't eat in the MDR sounded snobbish and was also incorrect according to Carnival. It's ok we all make mistakes don't worry about it.;)

I think that you forgot that you were replying to a post on the Carnival Board. Formal wear is not required so telling me that if we don't wear formal wear we shouldn't eat in the MDR sounded snobbish and was also incorrect according to Carnival. It's ok we all make mistakes don't worry about it.;)

:D

in other words you don't have to dress to the nines and you can eat in the mdr even if some self righteous big heads don't like it. They don't set the rules....

hey Karysa I didn't meant to hijack your thread. My apologies. I am far from a snob. But thanks for clarifying. I have seen people ripped on this board before. Guess today was my turn. Guess my first post came out wrong. We've chosen not to change clothes at all for dinner and just didn't bother to going to the MDR. That's all I meant. But I get your point. Thanks.

Are there ANY main stream lines that EVER required Formal wear?

On a couple of cruises (the Inspiration), we didn't pack clothing for "elegant" night. We will pack for elegant night this time. Slacks and a glittery jacket, DH a suit. Less every day clothing as we'll get the free laundry service. We'll get pics taken this time as well.

I enjoy formal night. But if you don't, that's ok. Just don't eat in the MDR that night. :rolleyes:

There is no formal night anymore, so as long as anyone follows the dress code which does not even require a tie they can eat in the MDR along with anyone who still wants to wear a gown and tux. Remember you are on Carnival the WalMart of cruising not the Queen Mary. That's why we love Carnival.

Sorry but I read your comment as being a bit harsh and judgmental too. and that little :rolleyes: didn't help either.

Perhaps, "But if you don't, that's ok. You might want to consider not eating in the MDR that night. :D" would have conveyed your thoughts better.

Being on Vacation, I am NOT bringing specific "formal clothes" with me, hell I am trying to just have a carry on sized bag! Do a load of laundry on the ship (or have Carnival do it lol) That being said, I will have a pair of slacks and a dress shirt and tie, so I can be as "formal" as they request, but I am not packing a suit bag or another suitcase!!!! This is my week of relaxation! I don't relax at home in my suit, why would i do it there? I may end up skipping formal night in the MDR anyways, might just relax on the Lido with a pair of shorts and a T-shirt :)

One really does have to be careful when reading others post not to include our own tone to a statement. How one expresses oneself online is so different than in person. We cannot hear the tone that was intended or was not intended. We should not read something into a statement that was never meant to be implied.

One really does have to be careful when reading others post not to include our own tone to a statement. How one expresses oneself online is so different than in person. We cannot hear the tone that was intended or was not intended. We should not read something into a statement that was never meant to be implied.

Unfortunately, most of us cannot read minds so what's written is all we have to go on. It's really up to the writer to make sure his/her intended meaning is clear.

As Nathanial Hawthorne said; "Easy reading is damned hard writing."

Archived