First time cruiser review

Day 1 Ok the day has now arrived, flying from Glasgow not till afternoon need to contain myself. Got to airport with plenty of time to spare as can not pre book seats as flying with Jetairfly, at checkin desk no probs as one of the first in Q, asked about extra leg room seats yes they are £25 per seat one way ( WHAT) £50 declined this fab offer. Fight was on time and plenty of space without paying through the nose. Rep waiting at baggage collection and directed us to our coach. First view of the Dream sitting in Palma port dwarfed by the Norwegian Epic. Taken through checkin given glass of orange juice, cabin card and stickers for luggage, photo taken to buy later now really excited up gang plank and on board, cabin steward Ronald G takes us to our cabin on deck 9. Cabin spacious with lots of storage, bathroom has bath with shower. Quick wash and change to go to explore. First stop Lido restaurant food excellent. First 2 days was served then went to self serve. Went to broadway show Killer Queen 1 hour of good entertainment as there was only one showing the place was packed loved that a waiter was always on hand with a drink. Talking about drink as I said DH does not drink alcohol went to reception to see if he could down grade to cans of soft drink as was on A/I @£69 would not do so every time hubby had an Irnbru we were charged 95p I think this is daft as I could have a cocktail at £4.50 for free but he could not get a £1.95 can. Rant over. Checked out where everything was no time to go to deck 11 for sail away party fab time was had. Now time for bed and was that the best bed I have had on any holiday big comfy and the cabin at just the right temp, first impression brill can't wait till tomorrow so much more to see and do. That's all for now will add more tomorrow hope I am not boring you. :D

image.jpg.f592566107204dcad137281e60db5314.jpg

Great first day, looking forward to hearing about tomorrow brings back good memory's .. Not boring at all just wishing I was also heading on her. Back 2 wks was our first cruise too and I'm still sulking to get back.. Enjoy ur holiday

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good so far..... looking forward to hearing more.

I am on Dream in 3 weeks and am also flying from Glasgow on Jetairfly - glad to knw it all went smooth as this flight change mallarky was a bit of a worry :rolleyes:

Day 2

Wake nice and early, Sunday sea day. Watch the sun come up absolutely breath taken, go for breakfast everything you could want and more even porage and it was good. Egg and omelette station, pancakes and syrup fry up or continental, no wonder you come back with extra weight and its not in the baggage. Go back to collect towels to sunbathe, Ronald on cabin stewart had already been in to clean the cabin very efficient. Asked directions from a fellow passenger to the pool and was sent in the wrong direction, on way back in right direction passed same lady who apologised was funny as a few days later saw the lady again and this time she was lost she could not find her cabin and this was her second week on board and also second time on the Dream I thought what chance do i have.

Settled down to start the tanning process, found the beds ok but a bit crammed had to shuffle off the end as no room at the side to get up, really good tip on CC about the pegs not only does it hold the towels in place but you can easly find your sun bed when need to leave for a short time. Like we did for the welcome party, was told 1/2hour, (not) 1hour later, still not finished left. Got back to beds and was told by nice couple beside us that the waiters were ready to remove our towels but they stopped them, was glad of that as you could not get a sun bed for love or money. Had lunch burger and chips from Lido grill very good. Early sitting for Gala night with Captin Roy Dearman (the voice of above) this I have waited for with baited breath, dolled up to the nines in my finery, hubby in his tux with bow tie never thought I'd see the day last time I saw him dressed like this was 32 years ago on our wedding day and he said that was a bad day as well, he loved it really. 5 course dinner in the Orion Restaurant fine dinning at its best, hubby asked for table for 2, no prob again, our waiter Ari was exceptional and reserved the same table for us every night, missing the food and attention already. Took a stroll around the ship a few cheeky cocktails, need to try the French Martini to die for. Hubby loved recieving the cruise news every evening to plan out what where and when to do the next day /night.

Day 3

Docked at Trapani, after breakfast need to stop the fry ups, BIG lady getting BIGGER, off ship jumped on open top bus 12euros each. Beautiful sunshine very hot, tour of the town with commentary took about an hour, was well worth the money as never been here and gave you a good starting point for walking. Went up and down all the side streets lots of small shops, cafes and bars. Back on board about 2pm. Had lunch then back to the sun beds found beds on upper deck 9 more spacious. Back to the cabin showered and changed for another night of fine dinning and great entertainment. Ok boobed, went to the Orion for dinner as arranged the night before with Ari our waiter, came into restaurant from opposite end could not find Ari was shown to different table with different waiter even though we explained what table we should be at he ignored this and was not as nice, still enjoyed the food. Went to the 8.15 show in Broadway Show Lounge, Dance Dance Dance was ok sat upstairs, yes they are still advertising best seats in the house, VIP seats for just £10 and includes a glass or 2 of bubbly don't know if anyone took them up on the offer, I know we didn't. Strum Jam in the Madusa also very good walk on deck small night cap before bed another wonderful day.

image.jpg.5a11f6ef44a4558f0106b98b519fe961.jpg

Yes the Orion Restaurant is huge and I always seemed to go in the wrong door. We like to have our favourite tables with our waiter Fernando. Just opposite was a little "secret door" Fernando calls it. He sometimes slides the door open to let us out as it saves walking the length of the restaurant. we found this amusing and used to call it "Fernandos hideaway!!"

Is there not 3 entrances?Two entrances take you into the large section the other into a much smaller section which we preferred.

I think you are right Jim. When I wrote 2, I thought it might have been 3 :o I knew some pedantic person would put me right :D:D:D

Glad you are liking the review, back to work tomorrow so thought I better do the next instalment.

Day 4

Docked at Sorrento Italy about 7am, decided to stay on board today as this is tender port. I know it is a safe way to get to the port but reading in the Cruise News it's says that between 9.30am and 11am it is very busy at the tender so did not want to Q to get off and then to get back on, glad we did. Another scorcher bagged the best sun beds on upper deck 9. The ship was quite and was able to get some relaxing me time for a couple of hours anyway. Breakfast and lunch in the Lido, 2pm trivia challenge 3pm ice carving demonstration ( the way my freezer is I might give this a bash) then a pre dinner drink before heading back to shower and change for dinner, dined at the Lido tonight as to embarrassed to go to the Orion:( but can't fault the food in the Lido, think hubby likes this better as he can have a bit of everything. Head to broadway as guest comedian/impressionist Fogwell Flax, I had never heard of him (he does the voice over for the muppets and other TV) he was brilliant never laughed so much since I saw hubby naked earlier only joking, they are still advertising for the best seats £10 what a rip off. Head to Medusa lounge for a night with Strum Jam. Another fabulous day.

image.jpg.8588a38096e9f64402be3bff91f32b3d.jpg

Day 5

Docked at Civitavecchia Italy around 7am, this is the one we were waiting on, full day 10 hours, excursion to Rome Vatican City. Up early quick breakfast and off we go 7.30am another beautiful day. Had a very nice lady tour guild Gabriella her English was a bit hit and miss but this made it interesting especially when she could not remember the word for the herb Basil. Only on the bus for 1/2 hour stopped for toilet break, then off we go again. Traffic into Rome was horrendous, first part of the tour we saw all the sights from the coach, 11.30am stopped for lunch at a typical back street Italian restaurant, pasta for starters, roast beef and potatoes main and sponge for pud with wine, waiters never even spoke to anyone or crack a smile. Now off to the Vatican. What a wonderful afternoon we had, head sets on about 40 of us following the guide through the museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter then some free time 1/2 hour to grab some souvenirs, word of warning what a rip off went for an ice cream one scoop cone wanted 6 euro, I am not a tight fisted Scot but I am not fool either. Back to bus at bus station had to wait about 30 min as the coach could not get in because of the amount of coaches trying at same time, now running late to get back to the ship, back on board 6.15pm long exhausting day. Showered and changed, back to Lido for dinner still to embarrassed for the Orion. Small night cap and off to bed knackered.

More tomorrow night need to go to bed now as back to work, thanks for reading and hope you are still enjoying.

image.jpg.4070793f0737be73d5d72fbef094074f.jpg

I think you are right Jim. When I wrote 2, I thought it might have been 3 :o I knew some pedantic person would put me right :D:D:D

I not sure Linda but I know that every night we were on the Dream we got lost looking for this restaurant was so frustrating lol.... Yes neither of us have sense of direction, then I'd finish my meal fly to the kids club with my daughter on deck 8 ( as she wanted to be there not with us ) then rush back to orien for desert but yet again id go up and down corridors looking for deck 4.. Lol

Scot born did I miss why u were embarrassed to go to Orien???? Sorry enjoying ur review but missed this part and curious why???

I was intrigued and wondering the same???

Scot born did I miss why u were embarrassed to go to Orien???? Sorry enjoying ur review but missed this part and

Because we went on the captins night and our very nice waiter said he would keep the table for us all week we agreed on the next night went to diner went in opposite end and could not find Ari or the table so was embarrassed to go back in case he saw us and thought we were ignorant. Day 3 review sorry for confusing you all.

:D

Had a think about this last night and there is defo 3....The main entrance where the menu is displayed and the other two are directly opposite the main entrance at the other side of the Orion.One of these takes you into the smaller section of the restaurant

Good work Scots born

:D

Had a think about this last night and there is defo 3....The main entrance where the menu is displayed and the other two are directly opposite the main entrance at the other side of the Orion.One of these takes you into the smaller section of the restaurant

Just looked at the deck plan. One of the lifts (I think it is lift B) come down into the middle of the dining room, so there are two doorways in from there and the forward lifts (Lift A) come down outside the dining room, so there is only one entrance from them. This is the place you embark the ship and that is where the menu is displayed, I think.

2jfcd29.gif

Your correct Linda and much better explained

One entrance(main)deck 4 where you disembark and embark which takes you into the large section of the restaurant,the other two doorways the other side/middle,one takes you into the smaller section of the restaurant and the other into the main/larger section of the restaurant

Kinda strayed off the thread topic so apologies to Scots born for hijacking it

Archived