First time cruiser review

Oh aye you`d rather somebody else get shot down in this instance me ;)..Seriously,you`ve been on the forum long enough to know you wont get shot down Linda..Say what you feel.....Man up as they say(in your case woman up)

I have had my critics in the past Jim :) But all water under the bridge now :)

As you`ll see by my reply to Kruz we did one night and the place wasn`t even full

The funny thing is that when we did the "plague" cruise in April/May everyone who went in to the MDR as a couple got put on a table on their own, usually a table laid for 4, even if you said you didn't mind sharing. So, that along with the serving in the buffet, gave me a hint that there was "trouble ont' ship" long before we were officially told of the lurgy!

Dear All

I cannot disagree with any of the posted comments.

Whether, gratuities are included or not, we always give an extra tip on the last night of the cruise to staff who have chatted and or given good service, waiters, bar staff, room attendants and even reception desk staff (their face is a treat as they think you are a mystery shopper).

I personally would not give an additional tip at the start of the cruise as the staff member might feel obliged to provide quicker service, which is not fair to other cruisers.

In my previous post, I mentioned that the waiter kept the table for us, this was not at our request, I can only assume that the staff see this as a way of providing a better service to the customers.

Like a previous poster commented, if we are doing a late tour off ship, we always tell the staff that we will not be coming the following night, one tip, tell the waiter and also the member of staff who serves the drinks, as the waiters do not always pass the information on.

The bottom line is, all cruisers should receive the same service. Which in my opinion they do.

Back to tipping on the first day, some people innocently do so, but I have witnessed some who have done so and then expect to be treated like royalty at the expense of others.

The best example I can remember was on the Voyager of the Sea,s, where a first night tipper continually clicked his fingers to the barman, on day 4, I was at the bar when the barman very politely gave the tip back to the chap and said, " sorry sir I have many customers".

Sorry for the long post.

Mike

Hello Jakanne

It was in the 7 Seas.

All the best

mike

Thanks, Mike. DH and I prefer the 4 Seasons. The Head Waiter knew I preferred to be nearer the door and mid ships, away from any vibrations but we were never aware of a table being "saved" for us.

Hi all seems I have caused a bit of heated debait re my review. Shoot me down if you like but at no point did we TIP at the beginning of the cruise being a first time cruiser and knowing that the tips was included in the price and with all the wonderful reports on this Forum I just thought that this was the norm. What the waiters do is sit a bottle of wine on the table they are looking to reserve and once we were seated this was removed to an other table, I think that this is away that they can guarantee a further tip at some point from the customer to supplement their low income. And yes we did tip on the Friday night because we could not fault the service we recieved. Re the towels on the sun bed that was only done the once on the first day as we had to attend the welcome meeting as it was our 1st time and knew very little about the protocol or the ship. I do hope you all did not think that we were taking liberties as I do not like anyone being treated differently. All I can say is that if you show respect then you get it back 10 fold.

Dear All

I cannot disagree with any of the posted comments.

Whether, gratuities are included or not, we always give an extra tip on the last night of the cruise to staff who have chatted and or given good service, waiters, bar staff, room attendants and even reception desk staff (their face is a treat as they think you are a mystery shopper).

I personally would not give an additional tip at the start of the cruise as the staff member might feel obliged to provide quicker service, which is not fair to other cruisers.

In my previous post, I mentioned that the waiter kept the table for us, this was not at our request, I can only assume that the staff see this as a way of providing a better service to the customers.

Like a previous poster commented, if we are doing a late tour off ship, we always tell the staff that we will not be coming the following night, one tip, tell the waiter and also the member of staff who serves the drinks, as the waiters do not always pass the information on.

The bottom line is, all cruisers should receive the same service. Which in my opinion they do.

Back to tipping on the first day, some people innocently do so, but I have witnessed some who have done so and then expect to be treated like royalty at the expense of others.

The best example I can remember was on the Voyager of the Sea,s, where a first night tipper continually clicked his fingers to the barman, on day 4, I was at the bar when the barman very politely gave the tip back to the chap and said, " sorry sir I have many customers".

Sorry for the long post.

Mike

I share you views entirely Mike - we have never, ever tipped on the first day or indeed at any time other than the last night - dependent on the service we have received.

I deplore the view that you can 'buy' better service. It should be a 'given' that the service is not only excellent but fair and not discriminatory. We do however choose to tip - our prerogative but I have no feelings about whether others should or shouldn't tip. It's entirely personal choice.

However in defending our practice (in as far as it doesn't impact on other cruisers) to try to have the same table each night, I think I must clarify that in mentioning the tipping aspect that was only in the context that I understand waiters may have a hope that, if they have served you for the whole of your holiday, they may get a tip. I don't blame them for that. Whether they do or not is entirely up to the passenger.

But we do not tip in advance and I agree that it gives the wrong message and is not something we would do or support. I think we shouldn't assume that the idea of 'saving' tables is necessarily accompanied by advance tipping though. I'm sure it does happen but we must take care not to tar everyone with that brush with it's unpleasant connotations. I would feel quite upset if I thought anyone had the notion that I sought, or worse still, bought any favourable treatment.

Hi all seems I have caused a bit of heated debait re my review. Shoot me down if you like but at no point did we TIP at the beginning of the cruise being a first time cruiser and knowing that the tips was included in the price and with all the wonderful reports on this Forum I just thought that this was the norm. What the waiters do is sit a bottle of wine on the table they are looking to reserve and once we were seated this was removed to an other table, I think that this is away that they can guarantee a further tip at some point from the customer to supplement their low income. And yes we did tip on the Friday night because we could not fault the service we recieved. Re the towels on the sun bed that was only done the once on the first day as we had to attend the welcome meeting as it was our 1st time and knew very little about the protocol or the ship. I do hope you all did not think that we were taking liberties as I do not like anyone being treated differently. All I can say is that if you show respect then you get it back 10 fold./quote]

Hear, hear Scot born. :)

What I did notice on Majesty in April, because I was looking out for it after discussions on here and FB, was the reason for the long queues for 4 Seasons when on entering the restaurant there were a number of empty tables.

Not sure why there were queues (they were not as long as on previous cruises but 7 Seas queues were very long) but I did notice one night, that some tables were "undressed", or not fully set up and when I suggested that it was ok and we didn't mind waiting for one we were ushered elsewhere (to the bottom end of the restaurant). :eek:

I wonder now, whether this is a way of "saving" tables for people. I shall be investigating further in September! :D:D

What I did notice on Majesty in April, because I was looking out for it after discussions on here and FB, was the reason for the long queues for 4 Seasons when on entering the restaurant there were a number of empty tables.

Not sure why there were queues (they were not as long as on previous cruises but 7 Seas queues were very long) but I did notice one night, that some tables were "undressed", or not fully set up and when I suggested that it was ok and we didn't mind waiting for one we were ushered elsewhere (to the bottom end of the restaurant). :eek:

I wonder now, whether this is a way of "saving" tables for people. I shall be investigating further in September! :D:D

That's not on is it Jakanne? I think this is made worse on Majesty because there isn't as much capacity as on the other ships for dining so that should militate against any table saving at all. I must say we never went to the same table on Majesty because of the pressure - we were just pleased to get seated! But tables should never be saved if people are waiting on any of the ships.

We're relying on you to get the real Mc Coy Jakanne. Agent J on the job! ;)

Hi Mike,

Thats a point I`m trying to make(obviously poorly :D).In my opinion and in many cases those that give additonal tips are being provided with quicker service

They should but I dont think they do

I deplore the view that you can 'buy' better service.

Kruz,is that in response to my post?

Hi all seems I have caused a bit of heated debait re my review.

Not at all Scots born if anything its me thats caused the stooshie(heated debate)although I see it more of a healthy debate

I deplore the view that you can 'buy' better service.

Kruz,is that in response to my post?quote Jim The Scot

No Jim. It wasn't in relation to your comments at all. I agree with you - it isn't acceptable at all in my book but I'm sure it happens and some who have that belief will also carry it through.

I meant I deplore the view of those who take the stance that they can buy better service. I hope I'm far too fair-minded to think that's acceptable because by definition it means others will get poorer service. That's not on imo.

Hope that clarifies my comment. :)

Not at all Scots born if anything its me thats caused the stooshie(heated debate)although I see it more of a healthy debate

Yes - nothing wrong with a good airing of views! :) And on here it's generally very civil and reasonable. ;)

Neither have I but if this keeping tables in the restaurants continue my towel will be getting left over a dining room chair ;)

You do know Jim that will cost you a fiver cos they will just remove it and then you won't have your towel at the end of the cruise. ;)

Thanks, Mike. DH and I prefer the 4 Seasons. The Head Waiter knew I preferred to be nearer the door and mid ships, away from any vibrations but we were never aware of a table being "saved" for us.

You must have had a good Head Waiter who remembered your preference.

All the best

Mike

The funny thing is that when we did the "plague" cruise in April/May everyone who went in to the MDR as a couple got put on a table on their own, usually a table laid for 4, even if you said you didn't mind sharing. So, that along with the serving in the buffet, gave me a hint that there was "trouble ont' ship" long before we were officially told of the lurgy!

We were on that cruise and found the opposite happened. All through the cruise we chose for the 2 of us to sit at our own tables in the Orion (breakfast and lunch). For the last few days we were ushered along with others to tables where we had to share (no choice). We wondered if they were trying to base everyone together for cleaning possibly.

Hi all seems I have caused a bit of heated debait re my review. Shoot me down if you like but at no point did we TIP at the beginning of the cruise being a first time cruiser and knowing that the tips was included in the price and with all the wonderful reports on this Forum I just thought that this was the norm. What the waiters do is sit a bottle of wine on the table they are looking to reserve and once we were seated this was removed to an other table, I think that this is away that they can guarantee a further tip at some point from the customer to supplement their low income. And yes we did tip on the Friday night because we could not fault the service we recieved. Re the towels on the sun bed that was only done the once on the first day as we had to attend the welcome meeting as it was our 1st time and knew very little about the protocol or the ship. I do hope you all did not think that we were taking liberties as I do not like anyone being treated differently. All I can say is that if you show respect then you get it back 10 fold.

Dear Scots born

You gave a cracking review and you did absolutely nothing wrong.

I am really glad you enjoyed your first cruise, I am sure it will be the first of many.

You sound like the kind of person who should continue cruising, nice to passengers and crew alike.

All the best

Mike

I share you views entirely Mike - we have never, ever tipped on the first day or indeed at any time other than the last night - dependent on the service we have received.

I deplore the view that you can 'buy' better service. It should be a 'given' that the service is not only excellent but fair and not discriminatory. We do however choose to tip - our prerogative but I have no feelings about whether others should or shouldn't tip. It's entirely personal choice.

However in defending our practice (in as far as it doesn't impact on other cruisers) to try to have the same table each night, I think I must clarify that in mentioning the tipping aspect that was only in the context that I understand waiters may have a hope that, if they have served you for the whole of your holiday, they may get a tip. I don't blame them for that. Whether they do or not is entirely up to the passenger.

But we do not tip in advance and I agree that it gives the wrong message and is not something we would do or support. I think we shouldn't assume that the idea of 'saving' tables is necessarily accompanied by advance tipping though. I'm sure it does happen but we must take care not to tar everyone with that brush with it's unpleasant connotations. I would feel quite upset if I thought anyone had the notion that I sought, or worse still, bought any favourable treatment.

Dear Kruzseeka

An excellent post.

We have been lucky enough to have had a few cruises, and I would hate that anyone did not receive the normal excellent service we have had.

I know that people pay a lot for whatever cruise thy take and we have met some truly marvellous people and only a few that I would not give the bus fare home.

As you and Scots born have said, treat everyone with respect and it comes back to you in loads.

I have never had a complaint about any member of the crew, a few passengers yes but not the crew, they work so hard and have to smile all the time they are working.

All the best

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thats a point I`m trying to make(obviously poorly :D).In my opinion and in many cases those that give additonal tips are being provided with quicker service

They should but I dont think they do

Kruz,is that in response to my post?

Dear Jim the Scot

You are just giving your opinion and I do not think you have caused offence to anyone.

The great thing about this forum is that all can share their views, and hopefully that will continue.

From this thread, there is no one I would avoid on a future cruise.

Cheers

Mike

Mike you are a true gentleman and I agree there is no one on this thread I would not like to cruise with, PS you are a true gentleman too Jim but let me know when we might bump into each other I would like to buy you something, no not a drink, ok maybe but defo a wooden spoon. LOL here's to wonderful cruising

Christine

Mike you are a true gentleman and I agree there is no one on this thread I would not like to cruise with, PS you are a true gentleman too Jim but let me know when we might bump into each other I would like to buy you something, no not a drink, ok maybe but defo a wooden spoon. LOL here's to wonderful cruising

Christine

Dear Scot Born

A Gentleman, a long time since that has been said.

The one thing that rings true with the thread that you started, is all involved enjoy the experience and treat the crew with respect, they do work so hard.

By the way, I do not or never have worked on a cruise line.

Please send posts on your next cruise as it is always great to hear anything from a different set of eyes, your posts were very refreshing.

I hope you have many great memories from your cruise, with many more to come.

All the very best.

Mike

Is it just me but feel this keeping tables in restaurants is wrong and no different from someone keeping a sun lounger?

It's a coincidence this has been brought up.

We don't eat at the same time each night and always sit where we are put.;). However on our penultimate night we were very early into the dinning room and the Matre D said sit anywhere so hubby headed to a window seat on a table for six which had a couple already seated. When he went to sit down they said the seats were taken. I replied "well they must be invisable because I can't see anyone." The waiter came over and said the seats were reserved. We sat somewhere else even though my husband was prepared to just sit and be dammed :o but I didn't want to be sat with miserable people for the whole meal.

I watched for a while and no one came to sit down. The main point of this argument is around 7.30pm a queue would build up outside the restaurant and if people were reserving tables but comming in late they were obviously exacerbating this.

Hi Mike

I will continue to post on the forum and the next time I cruise I will be posting my experiences. I enjoyed reliving my fab week away. While waiting on my cruise I looked at other forums for different ships liners and I came across a few threads where they used a similar format and enjoyed reading this even though it was not about thomson. I was hooked, that was why I thought I would like to share my cruise experience in the same way. I have kept up to date with everyone's adventutures and I feel that a lot of people tend to focus on the negatives, and before I went I was a bit worried, I am pleased to report that I had a wonderful relaxing week, and there were times I could have been negative but the good out weighs this so not worth talking about, ok I have nothing to compare my cruise with but when you can say it was money well spent and yes I will do it again then that's all you want from any holiday.

Thanks for all you kind words and support

Christine (Scot Born)

Dear Scot Born

You have absolutely nothing to thank me for.

It was just lovely to read a first time cruisers thoughts.

I literally had to drag my wife on to our first cruise and she has truly enjoyed the few that we have managed.

It took me a long time to join the cruise critics blogs, thinking that people would have a go at me, but as long as you give your own personal opinion, then in the main most posters are very nice.

Regardless of which line you go with, there will always be one or two that complain about anything.

My only hint is to ignore them and mix with the majority of people on board who are delighted to waken every morning to new sites and adventures.

All the best

Mike

Archived