First time cruiser review

First off jim no need for apologies, it's good to have a good debait. Sorry I can't say how many entrances to the Orion as I only found 2 by default.

Day 6

Couldn't believe I am nearly at the end of my holiday, it's a true saying time flys when your having fun and boy were we having a wonderful time.

Docked at Calvi about 7am, tender port again and was sailing again at 3pm so decided to stay on board. Love the ship that much I would never leave, went for breakfast in the Lido, oh no who is clearing the tables only Ari the waiter from the Orion. Ari recognised us and asked why we did not come for dinner on Monday. We explained what happened re wrong entrance and was given different table and apologied, he was brilliant and ask if we wanted a table for tonight, thank God I loved the fine dining and missed it the last 2 nights. Settled down for a bit of sunbathing, got nice and settled then decided to talk with the future cruise advisor well they kept advertsing that she was able to give you deals you could not get on the web or TA, she was not available as someone was taken to hospital, nice chap took my room number so back to my sunbed with a cruise brochure. Hubby getting nervous now I just thought it was the heat making him sweat. 2pm trivia chalange ok now I know we are not brains of Britian, 3.30pm went for afternoon tea, fancy sandwiches cake and home made scones, plain and fruit with cream and jam in Sirens restaurant, still can not fault the food. Ok now hooked

Back to cabin showered and changed pre dinner drink before heading to the Orion for dinner, yes right door and Ari was there waiting on us. Food was fabulous. How I miss it. Couple of drinks in the Delo bar listening toKeith Kerslake on the piano very nice relaxing evening. Don't want tomorrow to come our very last full day.:cool:

image.jpg.978f673c7ba5c727b04170e083151c5f.jpg

You sound as though you had a wonderful time - pleased you enjoyed yourselves so much.:)

Now..................... are you looking at the brochures? Have you spotted where you want to go next? I think you've caught the cruising bug Scot born. Welcome to the club! :D

Not decided yet kruzseeka, we have got a week off beginning of Oct might be to soon for the bank balance but can only hope, if not then will be next year for sure.:p

October prices are coming down where there are cabins left. Check the Thomson web site.

We have just booked the repositioning cruise from Harwich on 1st October (Med. Odyssey) at a good price.

Malc.:D

Hello Scot born

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your report of your First Cruise and I am so glad you had such a good time. Thanks again for posting the picture of the window in one of the Outside cabins. It was great to have an idea of what to expect. I hope you find another Cruise to book soon ! It does sound as though you are getting hooked. I know I am looking forward to our cruise early next year. It is a very long time since we have been on a cruise with Thomsons. We have been busy trying lots of other brands !!! I am so grateful to all the helpful people on this forum who have taken the time to answer all the questions. I always enjoy reading the answers.

Hi Scotborn, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your adventure and it is wonderful to read the thoughts of someone who is so enthusiastic about his cruising. Just two comments: First, Sorrento is a fabulous place that Mrs Red Scorpion and I spent a week in once. If you get the chance to go there again I should take it. Just watching the driving is entertainment never mind the wonderful small craft shops, narrow streets, great ice cream and limoncello. Second, I have seen Fogwell Flax too. I find the comedians to be a bit hit and miss, with some of them barely funny, some whose act seems to consist of mocking their audience and some who think jokes about mulims are funny. Fogwell Flax is none of this, he is original, professional and hilariously funny. I got to speak to him on the day we left the ship and he is a decent and friendly chap too. There was a big queue to leave the ship that day. He could have pushed his way to the front as the big star and nobody would have said anything. He didn't do that, he waited in the queue like everybody else. The best comedian I have seen on a ship and a true gentleman. You were lucky to see him.

Day 7

Sailed into Palmos about 9am another glorious day. Booked on the 1/2 excursion for Costa Brava as we have been to Barcalona a few times. Visited some gardens first (not a gardener) then off we went to see Lloret de Mar via the coach, stopped at Tossa de Mar with some free time, nice little holiday village with lots of shops and bars. Hubby keeping a tight reign on me as I like to shop it's in our genes ladies don't you think so. Anyway a few pounds lighter, well Euros, back on the coach back to the ship. Sailing at 5pm to head back to Palma sob sob sob

Went for after noon tea, relaxed with a cold drink before heading back to wash and change for my last fine dinning in the Orion (bringing tears to my eyes thinking about it all) head in to the Madusa for the sporting memorabilia charity auction it was for the crew fund, they had many items with reserves on them and I think that is what put many people off buying a signed Messa football shirt they started at £280 and that was still not the reserve, anyway a lot of things did not sell. At dinner they had all the gallie staff head waiters wine waiters do la lap of thr restaurant and then a baked Alaska parade with all the waiters it was great. Last stroll around the deck, a Small night cap or 2 before heading back to the cabin to pack.

Will we do it again most def, would I choose Thompson yes, why because of the staff, do I want to be there now YES

Thanks for reading my adventures I have likely missed out loads if there is anything you want to ask feel free.

PS no sign of the dreaded NV

image.jpg.70c2ddc835c1f3a3c4113d541801f376.jpg

What made you think she is a man!!!!
I originally thought scot was a man :( but Jackie put me right on that :) then Red Scorpion wrote

Hi Scotborn, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your adventure and it is wonderful to read the thoughts of someone who is so enthusiastic about his cruising.

I was just correcting him ;)

I originally thought scot was a man :( but Jackie put me right on that :) then Red Scorpion wrote

Hi Scotborn, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your adventure and it is wonderful to read the thoughts of someone who is so enthusiastic about his cruising.

I was just correcting him ;)

It was chosen because I am Scotland born and bred sorry for the confusion :confused:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your cruise, it made great reading.

We have not been on the Dream, but had a similar dining room incident two weeks ago on the Majesty.

On our first night we were taken to a table for two and had two great waiters and Andrew provided the drinks (great guy). Orly the main waiter said we could have the same table all week at the early sitting, my wife was delighted. Day 2 straight to the table and again excellent service, on day 3 we had been off the ship and did not get to the restaurant until 7pm, when we entered the restaurant I made my way to our table but was stopped by the maitre de, who guided us to at able for 6, I explained that we were going to our writers table, but the chap was insistent.

Anyway, I thought we we late and the table had been taken, so settled down for a lovely dinner with some lovely people, until I saw a look from one of our normal waiters pointing to our usual table, I must admit I felt quite embarrassed.

The next night we were bang on time and went straight to our normal table, and Orly explained that they had kept the table until we were seen at another table, I felt totally rotten but explained that we had pointed to his table, but were all but ordered to sit at the table for 6, apparently this happens quite often.

We sat at the same table for the rest of the cruise and had a wonderful time.

All I can say is embarrassment is only skin deep, and if you have done nothing wrong you should just stick to your guns, obviously very politely.

As on Thomson cruises all gratuities are included, the waiter will quite often try and get you to return to their table, and give you exceptional service ( as we had), that is the only way they can attract an additional gratuity, which our waiters certainly got.

We have been with several cruise lines and the one thing that Thomson ships stand out for is their staff.

Glad you had a great time and I look forward to a report of your next cruise (which I am sure you will do).

All the best

Mike

Thank you for the great review including the excursions. We are going on exactly the same itinerary 3rd Aug & great to see a review from a first timer (our last cruise was so long ago we are as near as makes no difference first timers).

Good to see the NV is under control. Just over 2 weeks to go now. Can't wait!!!

Is it just me but feel this keeping tables in restaurants is wrong and no different from someone keeping a sun lounger?

I would agree Jim if the tables were being held such that other diners couldn't get a table or when it's busy. That is unacceptable.

I must confess though that we tend to try to keep the same waiter and same table - but we always go in straight away as soon as the dining room opens (we're some of the sad folk who wait for the doors to open! :eek::D). That way we pretty well have a choice of tables anyway - it's just that we go to the same one. If we are on a late trip and anticipate being late one evening we always tell our waiter and say that we'll just take pot luck regarding where we sit.

I wouldn't feel comfortable expecting a table to be saved for us although I do suspect within the first few minutes of the mdr opening our waiter is probably doing his best to 'protect' our table for us (they know they're likely to get a decent tip - but that's not why we tip - it's strictly for the excellent service we always get as we wouldn't stick on a table where it was anything less!) sometimes 'our' table has gone and we just sit at another but usually within 'our' waiter's area. The relationship which develops over our holiday with the dining room staff is part of what we love about Thomson so I'd be sad to lose that.

But as I said I would never expect a table to be saved for an indetermnate period and I can promise that I have never, ever left a towel on a sunbed! :eek::D:D

Is it just me but feel this keeping tables in restaurants is wrong and no different from someone keeping a sun lounger?
Thanks Jim, I wanted to say that, but didn't want to be shot down ;);) When we went on the Majesty we only actually used the dining room once, on formal night, as at the time we like to go, about 8pm, there were always long queues. So we used the buffet the other nights. If tables are being reserved, that is not really fair. I think I said at the time, it would be better to make it set dining. We didn't have any trouble getting a table on the Dream as it is a much bigger dining room. (Or possibly because people were ill :eek::rolleyes:)

I have just posted on facebook about tipping because of comments I have read on here and there. I know tipping is included, but I like others tip at the end of the cruise. What is disturbing is reading how many tip at the START of the cruise, and then say what excellent service they then get. This excellent service should be available to all. When someone watches people who go to a bar or sit at tables after them get served first because they have advance tipped, or go into the dining room after a wait for a table when there are empty ones being kept because of advance tipping, I feel it is creating 2 tier passengers, and this must surely be unfair all round.

I have just posted on facebook about tipping because of comments I have read on here and there. I know tipping is included, but I like others tip at the end of the cruise. What is disturbing is reading how many tip at the START of the cruise, and then say what excellent service they then get. This excellent service should be available to all. When someone watches people who go to a bar or sit at tables after them get served first because they have advance tipped, or go into the dining room after a wait for a table when there are empty ones being kept because of advance tipping, I feel it is creating 2 tier passengers, and this must surely be unfair all round.
I quite agree with you and have "liked" your comment on FB :)

I would agree Jim if the tables were being held such that other diners couldn't get a table or when it's busy. That is unacceptable.

I should have added that kruz .Incident on our cruise on the Dream.Arrived at the Orion on our third night(virtually same time as previous two)and requested a table for two only to be told by the Maitre D that if we wanted a table for two we`d need to come earlier or later and that we`d have to wait 30 mins for a table.I felt like saying I`ll decide when and what time I eat but not being a rude person held back but he I think he knew by my facial expression that I wasn`t happy at his comment .Me and Mrs JTS stood our ground and he left us standing only to reappear a few minutes later and showed us to a table set for 4....A number of other tables of four and a number of tables for two lying empty so fairly obvious they were being kept.

I must confess though that we tend to try to keep the same waiter and same table - but we always go in straight away as soon as the dining room opens (we're some of the sad folk who wait for the doors to open! :D). That way we pretty well have a choice of tables anyway - it's just that we go to the same one. If we are on a late trip and anticipate being late one evening we always tell our waiter and say that we'll just take pot luck regarding where we sit.
No problems with that Kruz

But as I said I would never expect a table to be saved for an indetermnate period and I can promise that I have never, ever left a towel on a sunbed! :D
Neither have I but if this keeping tables in the restaurants continue my towel will be getting left over a dining room chair ;)

Thanks Jim, I wanted to say that, but didn't want to be shot down

Oh aye you`d rather somebody else get shot down in this instance me ;)..Seriously,you`ve been on the forum long enough to know you wont get shot down Linda..Say what you feel.....Man up as they say(in your case woman up)

we didn`t have any trouble getting a table on the Dream as it is a much bigger dining room. (Or possibly because people were ill :eek::rolleyes:)
As you`ll see by my reply to Kruz we did one night and the place wasn`t even full

Have to agree with you gill.Everyone should be awarded the same excellent service and as unfair as it is unfortunately I think its human nature if someones tipping regularly or at the start of their cruise that said person is looked after that bit better better than the non tipper or someone who tips at the end of the cruise and the early tippers know that.

Archived