Ocean Star-2015

gopack04

Lots to do in St Petersburg on your own as long as you have a Russian visa. Otherwise, you must stick with an offically approved tour guide. Around St Petersburg, Peterhof, particularly the gardens with their fountains is a sight not to be missed. Catherine's Palace is likewise amazing. Just wandering around the heart of St Petersburg there's lots to see and do. Church of the Spilled Blood is one of my favorites, as well as St Issacs (must go inside both). Shopping down Nevsky Prospect towards Grande Hotel Europe. Another highlight is the Yssupov Palace, with the rooms where Rasputin was dispatched. If you have a Russian visa in your passport, you can go anywhere, but the are expensive and time consuming to get. Without a visa, you're dependant on a tour guide, and you will be on a short leash.

Don't know about Stockhom, as I haven't been there. Hope that was helpful.

First time to Ocean cruise to Viking Homelands-Bergan to Stockholm. Any suggestions of side trips in Stockholm or St. Petersburg?

Agree with above for SPB. Use a tour guide and they provide VISA.

We used the ferries in Stockholm and this might help

http://www.********.com/Stockholm.html nice pictorial

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19903319&postcount=26

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1017275

First time to Ocean cruise to Viking Homelands-Bergan to Stockholm. Any suggestions of side trips in Stockholm or St. Petersburg?

Stockholm is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Hopefully we will be tied up in or very close to the Gamla Stan (old city). The Wasa museum is amazing as they have done a wonderful job restoring the ship that sank in the city the day it was launched hundreds of years ago. Drottningholm Castle is also quite nice. Any small boat tour sailing out into the Swedish archipelago is well worth the time and expense. Luckily we have cousins who live about 40 minutes north of Stockholm and we'll get to visit them for a few days post-cruise. Have fun!

• 1 year later...

Have just seen a movie about the Hermitage (at our local cinema) and it seems an incredible place. One of the highlights of the movie was the peacock clock...an amazing automaton created in the 18th century and in good working order....it is an incredible creation. I am hoping that it will be possible to see it (possibly not working because it only does a display once per week) on one of the Viking tours (we are on the Star leaving Stockholm at the end of May).

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a cruise critic get together? I would certainly like to know about private excursions being organized ....

• 1 month later...

We are on the Bergen to Stockholm departing May16, 2015. Because we are in the Verandas and will not be able to reserve excursions in advance of sailing and we have contacted Alla for the 2 day Grand tour of St. Peterburg. Is there any one who is also interested in this tour?? Please contact Alla if you have any interest.

D & J

Hi Kerr's and Merry Christmas...

After working with the great people at Alla for our already planned small group 2 day tour in St Petersburg, should we try to work with them to put something together for us in Stockholm as well? Just hope we can get the right size group.

I remain convinced that these Alla tours will always be both more reasonable and more personal than anything Viking will be offering and they are available now.

Any thoughts from you or others to be in Stockholm on May 29?

We used Alla in 2012 when we were in St. Petersburg on one of Oceania's larger ships (1250 pax). Alla had no trouble finding 16 people on our ship to sign up for the two day "Comfort" tour, and let us know by email when they reached the minimum. It was most certainly less expensive taking their tour than using Oceania-arranged excursions. We were happy with the content, quality, guide and driver, etc. Unless Viking is offering a free excursion that includes most of what you want to see, I would just go ahead and use Alla. I'm sure you'll see a lot more that way, and since you may never get back to that city, it will be worthwhile! Yes, our group was not allowed to wander, but quite honestly, I was GLAD the tour guide was watching us like a hawk! I did NOT want to get separated from the group in a huge city with no Russian money, especially where few people speak English, and where I could not begin to read the signs (characters, not familiar alphabet).

As for tours in other cities, a couple people we spoke to took Alla's tour in Berlin, but felt it was not as good as the one in SPB. Apparently they weren't totally thrilled with the guide.

Just some advice: Make sure you get up early and be prepared for a long line of people getting off the ship in SPB soon after you dock. Oceania seldom has long lines of people disembarking at once, but in SPB it was a complete ZOO! You also have to go through a passport check in the port terminal and that takes a bit of time. Our tour group was initially short 2 people because they didn't get in line to leave the ship until 10 minutes before we were supposed to meet, and that was not enough! Take your documents from Alla, too - important for clearing Russia's passport check in the terminal when you get off the ship!

Edited by roothy123

Oh, and one more thing: There are Roll Calls set up for some of the Star's cruises. If you're looking for more people to join an Alla tour and haven't joined your Roll Call, you might want to do that! The Roll Calls are under the "All Other" section of the "ROLL CALLS" section of the message forums on Cruise Critic. Usually only a small percentage of cruisers find their Roll Call, but for those of us who do, it usually proves to be a fun way to share information.

Edited by roothy123

Yes, my concern is the availablity of the option tours. In most ports, the included tour will be great. We want to insure we get the most out of our 2 days in St. Petersburg. If you are on a later voyage, you might wait to read the reviews on how Viking handles the optional tours.

D & J

I'm in one of the lowest room categories but am not worried about availability of excursions. Obviously I have not cruised on Viking Ocean but have cruised a few other ocean lines. I have only tried to pre book a small amount of excursions and rarely book a

anything last minute. It has been our experience that even on the rare occasion that an excursion is totally full, the cruise line has a few cancelations and/or can manage to get 2 or more people on board. I wouldn't worry too much but in the case of st.pete you may get a better excursion with alla if you are willing to pay for it.

Edited by roothy123

Well, for our cruise in late September, the excursions, including the free ones, are described fairly well and sound pretty good, but of course there are no prices, info on duration (except for free ones) or start times. For me it doesn't matter that much as I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and I know that once the prices are posted I probably won't run to sign up for any of the paid excursions. I am, however, curious to see if most or all excursions are typical first-thing-in-the morning ones, since I like to have free time to do what I want to do on my own.

So I guess I'm the only one that is so cynical to believe that Viking is purposely withholding information until after (1/15/2015) the cancellation penalty date for not so much the Maiden Voyage, but now for the Return to the Homelands (May 15, 2015) itineraries so people don't jump ship (pun intended) when they get yet more bad news on cost vs. benefit.

We are to believe that they still do not even have a port schedule? The only line with more Micky Mouse(s) is Disney!

Certainly does not instill confidence in this customer which is why we are trying to be as independent as possible with well known, well done tours.

From the time that they announced this 'luxury' product they have consistently shaved benefits and added costs or disadvantages in their class system.

The latest is that included internet is not free but will be doled out by class and/or provided for addition cost to the majority.

I guess I'm lucky, since our cruise is still almost 9 months away and I have faith that everything will be finalized by then. At least I have more than enough time to figure out what I want to do in each port, and how to do it, so I'm not stressing. Besides, I already know the excursions will be too expensive for me, so I'll take their free excursions and that will be that. From the start I thought that availability of internet at sea for 930 pax, free or otherwise, was a risky thing to promise, and I plan to do what I do on other cruise ships (take a netbook for occasional trips to port terminals or local WiFi spots). For the money, I feel what they are (still) offering is pretty competitive price-wise for a luxury cruise product. As to a caste system, I think most or all cruise lines do this, and I assume it's because if they didn't do this, it would be difficult to sell those expensive staterooms just on the basis of them having more space or being further up on the ship.

I will give Viking a try and go from there, and if nothing else, it will be great to sail on a beautifully new ship to places I (mostly) have not gone. I do, however, understand the frustration of people who are cruising in April and May, as I like to know everything I can long before I leave the house, and before we know, it WILL be April! I just hope we have long days in port, good food, and a very comfortable bed!

Edited by roothy123

So I guess I'm the only one that is so cynical to believe that Viking is purposely withholding information until after (1/15/2015) the cancellation penalty date for not so much the Maiden Voyage, but now for the Return to the Homelands (May 15, 2015) itineraries so people don't jump ship (pun intended) when they get yet more bad news on cost vs. benefit.

We are to believe that they still do not even have a port schedule? The only line with more Micky Mouse(s) is Disney!

Certainly does not instill confidence in this customer which is why we are trying to be as independent as possible with well known, well done tours.

From the time that they announced this 'luxury' product they have consistently shaved benefits and added costs or disadvantages in their class system.

The latest is that included internet is not free but will be doled out by class and/or provided for addition cost to the majority.

You are not alone. I am dismayed as well from what I thought we were getting and what we actually are getting. The internet is just one aspect. The port schedule lack of availibility is ludicrous. We were told when we booked that it was open dining and now we are told we have to register with our TA no less. We were also told that we could use Viking custom air and then were told that the custom air was not available for our cruise Viking Homelands. They seem to be making the rules as they go along.

You are not alone. I am dismayed as well from what I thought we were getting and what we actually are getting.

We were told when we booked that it was open dining and now we are told we have to register with our TA no less.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's still open seating for the main dining room and the buffet dining, right? As to the specialty restaurants, I'm used to being in the "reserve last" category as that's how my favorite cruise line does it. It's never been a problem, though, as long as I reserve early once the window opens up. Relying on my TA to make reservations, however, is new, and that could be a blessing or a curse! Of course, by late September Viking may have an automated system in place that travelers can use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's still open seating for the main dining room and the buffet dining, right? As to the specialty restaurants, I'm used to being in the "reserve last" category as that's how my favorite cruise line does it. It's never been a problem, though, as long as I reserve early once the window opens up. Relying on my TA to make reservations, however, is new, and that could be a blessing or a curse! Of course, by late September Viking may have an automated system in place that travelers can use.

You are correct in that it is open seating in the main dining room but for some reason which I do not understand I was told we need to register for open seating and a preferred time. I get different answers every time I call. I 100% agree that we need to make reservations for the specialties. I think it is a burden for a TA to make the reservation - it's awkward. I really don't my TA to have to make the reservations for the excursions. The ship does look lovely though.

You are correct in that it is open seating in the main dining room but for some reason which I do not understand I was told we need to register for open seating and a preferred time. I get different answers every time I call.

Thanks.

That's not what I was told a couple weeks ago, but perhaps I didn't get the same person you spoke to, or if so, he/she didn't understand your (or my) question! She didn't mention anything about registering preferences. I was told no reservations were needed for the main restaurant, but we may have to wait a little bit to be seated. If we want, we can make reservations for at least one night in the main restaurant, with the timing based on website FAQs for our cruise (60 days for us in our deluxe veranda). We don't like to be stuck with specific times unless necessary, so I doubt we'll reserve any times for "The Restaurant."

For each specialty restaurant DV cruisers are guaranteed one reservation and we can make reservations 60 days out. I didn't ask what the process would be, as I figured Viking may have an online system in place by my cruise date. If they don't, I'll just send my TA a list of preferred days & times, in order of preference, and ask her to call when the 60 day window for us opens.

Edited by roothy123

I sent a note to the Viking rep I originally booked with asking "...how I will go about booking shore excursions and dining reservations when the 90 day window opens?" & "Also, will I book for the entire (Empire) itinerary or each segment 90 days out? If it's per segment is there a contact on the ship that I'll use to arrange the bookings?"

The reply I got today was "You will receive an email link to reserve your dining reservations and optional tours in about 10 days. Thank you!"

Not a complete answer but better than nothing I guess.

Anyone on multiple segments heard if we book all at once or when the window opens per segment?

I can't wait until all these arrangements are done & I can just get on the ship and go. This process is making me sound kinda whiny. lol.

I can't wait until all these arrangements are done & I can just get on the ship and go. This process is making me sound kinda whiny. lol.

It is unfortunate that Viking Oceans does not try and communicate information to upcoming cruisers so we don't have to speculate about these things.

I have suggested that they monitor CC but I guess they do not.

Hope you can book all 50 days at once will be a lot easier......

We're all counting on you JDPS to let us know how it goes when the 90 day window opens. We too are on the whole 50 day cruise, and my sneaking suspicion is that we will have to do the enrollment segment by segment. We are in the next category down and have the 80 day window. It would not surprise me either if nothing is out there for the 90 day window. I just filled out our Passenger Information Forms and that was kind of strange. I had to go the the Viking Rivers website and then they tell you the Oceans PIF is not available yet, and to fill out the Rivers PIF and they will e-mail the form to the Oceans staff. Yes, they don't even have that working yet. This is our 4th Viking trip and our experience on the river cruises was great - but the Oceans experience is leaving me wondering if we have made a horrible mistake. Given how many millions of dollars they spend on advertising, you'd think they'd spend a bit more on communicating with their passengers!