Carnival Splendor No Real Scrambled Eggs for Breakfast Buffet

johnny75

After spending 35 years in the foodservice industry, I know what a powdered egg tastes like. That is what Carnival is using for the buffet scrambled eggs.

Most industrial feeding operations use them for baking only.

Everyone in the mass feeding industry uses carton whole eggs for scrambled eggs. They are pasteurized and taste good for scrambled egg buffet service.

Powdered eggs dishes are gritty and tasteless. I guess the head Executive Chef at Carnival has never tasted them.

They must have got them at a super cheap price.

On my last Splendor Cruise in June I noticed that the breakfast buffet only served POWDERED EGG scrambled eggs!

I have been on 7 other Carnival ships and they do not serve these grainy tasteless eggs.

Why is this ship allowed to do this?

Please comment on this post, maybe someone in the Carnival Staff will notice this.:(

I believe its all ships. I know most (if not all) the hotels I have stayed at were boxed too. RCL's eggs weren't real either. I usually don't eat too many of them...not to fond of boxed eggs

On my last Splendor Cruise in June I noticed that the breakfast buffet only served POWDERED EGG scrambled eggs!

I have been on 7 other Carnival ships and they do not serve these grainy tasteless eggs.

Please comment on this post, maybe someone in the Carnival Staff will notice this.:(

What 7 other ships?

All of the ones that I have been on use liquid eggs for the buffet... Using real eggs would be a nightmare for buffet use and very costly. Try the omelet station for real eggs, or go to the dining room. I get eggs benedict every morning..

After spending 35 years in the foodservice industry, I know what a powdered egg tastes like. That is what Carnival is using for the buffet scrambled eggs.

Most industrial feeding operations use them for baking only.

Everyone in the mass feeding industry uses carton whole eggs for scrambled eggs. They are pasteurized and taste good for scrambled egg buffet service.

Powdered eggs dishes are gritty and tasteless. I guess the head Executive Chef at Carnival has never tasted them.

They must have got them at a super cheap price.

You are wrong about Carnival using powdered eggs. I saw the containers, and took the kitchen tours.

All I can think is maybe they have a new supplier or a bad cook. Those eggs are not gritty. I thought they came prepared in liquid form in cardboard containers.

Now, if someone wants true powdered eggs that taste yucky, that is what those on public assistance got once a month during food distribution before food stamps came into effect.

Those powdered eggs on the buffet are terrible. Looks like they are not meant to be served as is, since they are designed "for baking". It would seem the great chefs on the ships would be able to add spices and sauces to make them edible. I have noticed omelets are made from a prepared liquid in a milk carton type container. I find these acceptable, as they are customized with the items I choose. Carnival just needs to better prepare the powdered eggs to make them acceptable as well.

All I can think is maybe they have a new supplier or a bad cook. Those eggs are not gritty. I thought they came prepared in liquid form in cardboard containers.

Now, if someone wants true powdered eggs that taste yucky, that is what those on public assistance got once a month during food distribution before food stamps came into effect.

Bingo, there not in all the ships yet but their being phased in.

I have had the other eggs and they were fair ,but these new eggs :eek::eek: sad-animated-animation-boy-smiley-e.gif

You are wrong about Carnival using powdered eggs. I saw the containers, and took the kitchen tours.

They may use the liquid eggs as an ingredient in what they cook on board (I also took the tour), but I know a powdered egg when I see one and the eggs in the buffet were definitely from powder.

Someone on the behind the scenes tour need to ask the question to someone in authority in the galley.

They are powdered reconstituted egg product scrambled.

Carton liquid whole eggs cook up perfectly for scrambled.

Did they think no one would notice a gritty tasteless scrambled egg????

Keep this conversation going.:(

Ok I love eggs. I just realized that I think eggs are my favorite food. With hot sauce and ketchup... Yum.

Anywhose, I always get an omelette when I'm on a cruise from the Omelette station. I defn love eggs that are fresh and straight from the shell and have noticed at the omelette station that the eggs are made from a liquid poured into the pan.

So on my next cruise in a week and a half, I will go to the omelette station and ask for scrambled eggs made from real eggs and have them add all the condiments I want. Check!

Thanks for whomever said they do that because I never thought to ask for real eggs before. :D

I have to argue with the use of the word "powdered" when describing Carnival's buffet eggs. A "powdered" egg is what you would take on a backpacking trip... where you add water to a freeze-dried powder from a packet. Carnival doesn't use "powdered" eggs.

What they do use is a scrambled egg mix made from real eggs.

Here are some of the reasons why:

• Saves the labor involved with cracking tens of thousand of eggs per week.
  • Saves weight. The weight of tens of thousands of egg shells is significant.
  • Lowers the risk of salmonella. Eggs in shells carry a much larger salmonella risk. A worker touching an infected egg can spread salmonella to all other eggs he cracks after that, too. Scrambled egg mix is pasteurized.
  • Eliminates waste. Tens of thousands of egg shells is a lot of trash.
  • A certain percentage of shelled eggs will break in transit, creating waste, and a mess.
  • Saves space. Scrambled egg mix takes up less refrigerator space than eggs in shells in cartons.
  • More consistent prices for the cruise lines. Prices of eggs in shells fluctuate more due to market conditions.

If you want a "real egg"... simply wait in the omelette line and ask for eggs over easy (or over hard) and they will use real eggs for you.

And although the taste and texture are beyond disgusting, the process is actually kind of cool. They showed it to us on the Behind the Fun tour we took on the Destiny: Liquid eggs come in a 2 gallon plastic bag. Entire bag is nuked in an oversized microwave. Bag comes out looking like a fat yellow pillow. "Pillow" is punched a few times to break up the contents and then opened and poured into a hotel pan for the steam table.

Ok I love eggs. I just realized that I think eggs are my favorite food. With hot sauce and ketchup... Yum.

Anywhose, I always get an omelette when I'm on a cruise from the Omelette station. I defn love eggs that are fresh and straight from the shell and have noticed at the omelette station that the eggs are made from a liquid poured into the pan.

So on my next cruise in a week and a half, I will go to the omelette station and ask for scrambled eggs made from real eggs and have them add all the condiments I want. Check!

Thanks for whomever said they do that because I never thought to ask for real eggs before. :D

Your welcome :D:D--I do it every morning for breakfast now when I am on the ship. I paid enough to eat real eggs for breakfast--fried, scrambled or omelette (omelettes are for hubby). You will appreciate your breakfast so much more--I am a breakfast freak and really love breakfast food.

And although the taste and texture are beyond disgusting, the process is actually kind of cool. They showed it to us on the Behind the Fun tour we took on the Destiny: Liquid eggs come in a 2 gallon plastic bag. Entire bag is nuked in an oversized microwave. Bag comes out looking like a fat yellow pillow. "Pillow" is punched a few times to break up the contents and then opened and poured into a hotel pan for the steam table.

YUK...that sounds worse than powdered eggs! A little cheese sauce please.

Your welcome :D:D--I do it every morning for breakfast now when I am on the ship. I paid enough to eat real eggs for breakfast--fried, scrambled or omelette (omelettes are for hubby). You will appreciate your breakfast so much more--I am a breakfast freak and really love breakfast food.

Oh ok thanks Bingomama. I was too lazy to go back and see who wrote it. :D

I thought all ships use the egg mixture from a carton.

Of course its cheaper then real eggs. Its usually always about saving money.

Johnny, I just returned from a great cruise on the Carnival Splendor out of New York and we had eggs almost every day and I never saw powdered eggs being used. You can see the chef cooking the eggs right in front of you and they always used boxed eggs. Where did you eat?

Actually, they often won't. They should, but I've seen them on several occasions refuse to do so. Usually the requester was a young teen or someone who would not stand their ground.

Glad I've have no problems with this. I tell them I want scrambled eggs with real eggs, they go into the mini-fridge and grab two whole eggs without hesitation and make my omelet....soooo yummy!

I guess I am a bit strange because I actually like those eggs. I love to mix them with a little bit of salsa. :D

OMG me toooooo!!! I love them. They never get rubbery and I feel like they blend better with sauces, like salsa, exactly like you said! Also, they are never too "eggy" tasting, which would actually make sense, lol.

Laura

I believe its all ships. I know most (if not all) the hotels I have stayed at were boxed too. RCL's eggs weren't real either. I usually don't eat too many of them...not to fond of boxed eggs

Omni hotels use organic fresh eggs for their breakfasts and brag about it.

I thought all ships use the egg mixture from a carton.

Of course its cheaper then real eggs. Its usually always about saving money.

This has been our experience too. We never breakfast on the Lido due to GF issues. When having scrambled eggs in the MDR we always request fresh eggs and you can definitely tell the difference as you can differentiate between the whites and yolks. Miami told us that the only way to make sure it is GF is to request fresh eggs, but you also have to request a clean pan. Fixing the real eggs in the same pan as the boxed stuff will result in cross-contamination. I have had some cooks on the Lido (Magic) refuse the request to use fresh eggs for scrambled. When that happens I just get a hard boiled egg off the buffet line.

Archived