Carnival Splendor No Real Scrambled Eggs for Breakfast Buffet

johnny75

On my last Splendor Cruise in June I noticed that the breakfast buffet only served POWDERED EGG scrambled eggs!

I have been on 7 other Carnival ships and they do not serve these grainy tasteless eggs.

Why is this ship allowed to do this?

Please comment on this post, maybe someone in the Carnival Staff will notice this.:(

Every ship I have been on used boxed eggs for the buffet. Thats why I either stand in the egg line or go to the MDR.

I think its all ships.

Agreed, it is on all ships. We have been on 6 different ships over the past 24 months and all had boxed eggs (scrambled) in the buffet. Either gt an omelette at the omelette station (or fried eggs there as well) or go to the MDR as Fire describes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to argue with the use of the word "powdered" when describing Carnival's buffet eggs. A "powdered" egg is what you would take on a backpacking trip... where you add water to a freeze-dried powder from a packet. Carnival doesn't use "powdered" eggs.

What they do use is a scrambled egg mix made from real eggs.

Here are some of the reasons why:

• Saves the labor involved with cracking tens of thousand of eggs per week.
  • Saves weight. The weight of tens of thousands of egg shells is significant.
  • Lowers the risk of salmonella. Eggs in shells carry a much larger salmonella risk. A worker touching an infected egg can spread salmonella to all other eggs he cracks after that, too. Scrambled egg mix is pasteurized.
  • Eliminates waste. Tens of thousands of egg shells is a lot of trash.
  • A certain percentage of shelled eggs will break in transit, creating waste, and a mess.
  • Saves space. Scrambled egg mix takes up less refrigerator space than eggs in shells in cartons.
  • More consistent prices for the cruise lines. Prices of eggs in shells fluctuate more due to market conditions.

If you want a "real egg"... simply wait in the omelette line and ask for eggs over easy (or over hard) and they will use real eggs for you.

I don't think they're powdered eggs. They're real eggs but not in the shell, if you know what I mean. They're in cardboard cartons. You know, like orange juice. At least this is what they use for the buffet omelets and they taste just fine.

But I don't eat the scrambled ones. I'm pretty particular about my eggs.

I almost always get an omelet. But when I discovered hard-boiled eggs on the buffet, sometimes I'll get a couple if there are a dozen people in the omelet line.

I don't think I've seen "real" scrambled eggs on a buffet in about 10 years, if ever. I don't remember. I think perhaps you misremembered what you had on the prior cruises, Johnny.

Every ship I have been on used boxed eggs for the buffet. Thats why I either stand in the egg line or go to the MDR.

I think its all ships.

Got the same 'wonderful' scrambled eggs in the MDR.

They will scramble eggs at the omlette station. Just ask. They will mix in any of the available ingredients. Egg beaters too. Problem solved!

I would be willing to bet that even at the omelet station, the "egg mix" used for omelets and scrambled eggs is the stuff from the cartons. After all, they ladle the stuff from a vessel; who can be sure that the "mix" only contains whole eggs? The only way to be absolutely certain that you are getting whole eggs, is to order a fried egg where they actually have to crack the egg into the pan in front of you.

They will scramble eggs at the omlette station. Just ask. They will mix in any of the available ingredients. Egg beaters too. Problem solved!

Actually, they often won't. They should, but I've seen them on several occasions refuse to do so. Usually the requester was a young teen or someone who would not stand their ground.

I would be willing to bet that even at the omelet station, the "egg mix" used for omelets and scrambled eggs is the stuff from the cartons. After all, they ladle the stuff from a vessel; who can be sure that the "mix" only contains whole eggs? The only way to be absolutely certain that you are getting whole eggs, is to order a fried egg where they actually have to crack the egg into the pan in front of you.

I bet you are correct!

Oh I order mine fried hard, not scrambled, so they do make mine from scratch, and I avoid waiting in the omelet line.

But we are talking scrambled eggs.

I usually order- English Muffin, Canadian bacon, poached egg with a side of Hollandaise. Runny eggs with runny sauce:D

When has anybody seen "powdered" eggs since WWII? I wouldn't know where to get them if I wanted them.

Here ya go--

powdered

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/powderedwholeeggscan.aspx

crystals

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ova-easy-whole-egg-crystals-can.aspx

Scroll down for videos. :D

Actually, they often won't. They should, but I've seen them on several occasions refuse to do so. Usually the requester was a young teen or someone who would not stand their ground.

Of course they will make you fresh eggs at the omelet station. I always get them--I don't like omelets and order either fried eggs or ask they they make scrambled eggs from real eggs that they crack in front of me. If you just ask them for scrambled eggs-they will pour that pre made mixture in the pan and scramble it--its the same thing they make the buffet eggs out of--I verified that when he first tried to make those for me. When they tried to make my scrambled eggs like that, I simply pointed out I wanted them made from the real eggs and he did it.

As far as those buffet eggs--they are the worst things I have ever tasted. I have had buffet eggs in many other places and they are ok and edible. Carnivals are downright disgusting.

When I was on the Breeze last November. The eggs in the buffet were

Nasty! I have had powdered eggs on ships for ever. I have never had

Something that tasted like that, yuck. The only thing I can describe

The taste as. I think it tasted like they added flour to the mix. I was

Kinda stunned how bad the scrambled eggs. I started to just get an

Omelette every morning since. But if the omelette was the same mix,

It did not have that "flour" taste.

Archived