A question about wine

rln44

During our last cruise (Silhouette, TA-April 2013) waiters were hawking wine during lunch at the buffet for $20 a bottle (one white and one red) with a selling point that unfinished wine could be taken to your cabin and consumed later in your cabin. We did not purchase any as we don't generally drink wine with lunch and these were screw top bottles. Of course some excellent wines are coming out of Australia and New Zealand with screw tops. This is the first time I have seen this and wonder if these wines are being offered on other cruises. Has anyone tried them? How are they?

They often have these "specials". We have purchased them on occasion as we enjoy wine with friends before dinner. Sometimes they are good, other times fair. For $20.00 a bottle, it is usually a pretty good deal. With the "tip" it comes to $23.00. Look at the wine list and see what they are charging for wines that you know and like. Sometimes they are not a whole lot more expensive, and if you know it and like it, it would be a better idea to purchase what you know and like.

BTW, screw tops are now on more and more wines as they are very good at keeping out air and do not have the leakage problem that corks sometimes have. WE have purchased some very expensive wines that now have screw tops.

The lack if a cork doesn't mean the wine is crummy. I prefer Chardonnay wine fermented in steel and not oak and this variety of wine always has a screw cap.

There have been articles in Wine Spectator discussing how cork may taint wine ...

I bought a few bottles under that sale last year and for the most part thought the wines were pretty decent. I think we bought 4 bottles and enjoyed a few glasses on our verandah.

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen that deal this year? We are on the Silhouette in 2 weeks and won't bother buying any to take on board if they are.

During our last cruise (Silhouette, TA-April 2013) waiters were hawking wine during lunch at the buffet for $20 a bottle (one white and one red) with a selling point that unfinished wine could be taken to your cabin and consumed later in your cabin. We did not purchase any as we don't generally drink wine with lunch and these were screw top bottles. Of course some excellent wines are coming out of Australia and New Zealand with screw tops. This is the first time I have seen this and wonder if these wines are being offered on other cruises. Has anyone tried them? How are they?

Does anyone know if these bottles could also be taken to MDR/Blu without a corkage charge/

Carole

Does anyone know if these bottles could also be taken to MDR/Blu without a corkage charge/

Carole

you purchase any wine on board the ship, including the sparkling wine you get in your cabin from CC, AQ, or Suites, you can bring and consume it anywhere on the ship, including the dining room, without paying corkage. You only pay corkage on wine you bring on board the ship at initial embarkation if you bring it out of your stateroom to any of the public areas on the ship.

Carole

No. Last year they clearly stated that the price was for stateroom consumption. I suppose you could try but if they add a corkage fee to the price you haven't saved any money.

Archived