Almost live Grandeur review sailing 7/19/13

Great, I hope to see you guys there. Let me know the dates asap. Don't book a room yet.

]A friend of mine was on the Grandeur during the fire, he was in an aft cabin above the actual fire. He couldn't say enough about Royal and the Crew, they went above and beyond to make it comfortable for everyone. But he said the food was not as good on the ship as it was on some of the others, so I'm glad you did the special restaurants. Wow so many choices.

Okay let's see if this works...

ImageUploadedByForums1375287724.056757.jpg.b383587aeb08c80aa923f94d414f59fb.jpg

Evening snacks in the Diamond Lounge

ImageUploadedByForums1375287762.263269.jpg.318c9bce4ff9a31712e3a4ef5b59e119.jpg

Concierge Lounge. We never made it up there after taking this picture late one night. It was a much smaller venue than the Diamond lounge.

ImageUploadedByForums1375287826.090561.jpg.a4799d05192e3257c789a1409cb0c665.jpg

Champagne and fruit punch served during the Captain's Welcome held in the centrum.

There was an aerial show that night as well.

More pics to come ( I ended up taking pictures off my laptop with my IPad - gotta love technology!)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the great review. I am doing a mother daughter cruise the last week of October 2014. We are so looking forward to it. We are also on 7, 7600 superior ocean view. Do the bathrooms have seperate toliet/sink and shower? On Disney the toilet and sink were in one room and the shower and sink was in another. Thanks and keep up the great review.

Thanks for the great review. I am doing a mother daughter cruise the last week of October 2014. We are so looking forward to it. We are also on 7, 7600 superior ocean view. Do the bathrooms have seperate toliet/sink and shower? On Disney the toilet and sink were in one room and the shower and sink was in another. Thanks and keep up the great review.

No, they are all enclosed in the bathroom. What itinerary are you doing?

No, they are all enclosed in the bathroom. What itinerary are you doing?

We are doing the 8 night to Port Canaveral (yeah Food & Wine in EPCOT), CocoCay, Nassau, and Key West. We are huge Disney fans and cannot wait for that excursion, it also checks Key West off my bucket list.

We are doing the 8 night to Port Canaveral (yeah Food & Wine in EPCOT), CocoCay, Nassau, and Key West. We are huge Disney fans and cannot wait for that excursion, it also checks Key West off my bucket list.

This is the first year in a long time that we won't be going to the food &wine festival. We are also huge Disney fans, but just have a lot going on this year.

I'll be doing a review of Nassau next :)

Thanks for your review. We will be doing a B2B August 30. We have been on Grandeur twice - 2007 and 2009 - before the revitalization. This is the first ship I have heard where the captains welcome aboard party was in the Centrum. They have been in the lounges on both the Vision and Radiance class ships we have cruised. What was your impression of the Welcome Aboard party being held in the centum? I can't imagine ther is much seating room. It also seems like it would be very crowded.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Thanks for your review. We will be doing a B2B August 30. We have been on Grandeur twice - 2007 and 2009 - before the revitalization. This is the first ship I have heard where the captains welcome aboard party was in the Centrum. They have been in the lounges on both the Vision and Radiance class ships we have cruised. What was your impression of the Welcome Aboard party being held in the centum? I can't imagine ther is much seating room. It also seems like it would be very crowded.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

I actually thought it was kind of neat having it in the centrum, and it spread out the crowds as you could see from deck 4 all the way to deck 8. There were wait staff passing out the complimentary drinks on all levels, and there was a mini version of the aerial show. The centrum was the focal point for a lot of the activities on board. If you think about it, the South Seas lounge would have been crazy crowded.

Day 5 Nassau

Another beautiful day :). We decided to walk to Junkanoo Beach, an easy walk from the cruise ship pier.

[ATTACH]280958[/ATTACH]

There are facilities, chairs, umbrellas, as well as a few drink shacks that were reasonably priced. The water was surprisingly clean considering how close it was to the downtown area as well as the port.

After a few hours of beach time we walked down to " DA Fish Fry". It is a little bit of a hike, but definitely doable. There were people trying to get you to eat at the different spots, which got a little annoying. We decided on Twin Brothers for two reasons- I had read some good reviews, and it had air conditioning. The food was decent, the drinks were kind of meh.

From there we walked to the John Watlings rum distillery on Delancy street. Again, a bit of a hike, but definitely doable. The distillery is located in the original Buena Vista Estate, and has recently been redone. The estate is beautiful!

[ATTACH]280959[/ATTACH]

It is a self guided free tour, and there are staff around to tell you about the different rums they make- samples-yay!

There is also a tavern attached, and the mojitos we tried were excellent.

[ATTACH]280960[/ATTACH]

We would definitely go back here :). We ended up buying two bottles, one of the Pure, or clear, and one of the Buena Vista, which is aged for 6 years.

Tonight's entertainment was the RCI singers and dancers, with a 7:00 and 9:00 show, Battle of the Sexes in the centrum, and a poolside party with cardio provided by the amazing Darryl

[ATTACH]280962[/ATTACH]

Me with Darryl, not doing the cardio :)

There was also a buffet poolside, but we had eaten a large and wonderful meal in Giovanni's, so didn't eat anything.

Drink of the day was mojito

Random info : the Buena Vista Estate, where the John Watlings Distillery is located, was where part of the first James Bond Movie was filmed.

Day 5 Nassau

Another beautiful day :). We decided to walk to Junkanoo Beach, an easy walk from the cruise ship pier.

[ATTACH]280958[/ATTACH]

There are facilities, chairs, umbrellas, as well as a few drink shacks that were reasonably priced. The water was surprisingly clean considering how close it was to the downtown area as well as the port.

After a few hours of beach time we walked down to " DA Fish Fry". It is a little bit of a hike, but definitely doable. There were people trying to get you to eat at the different spots, which got a little annoying. We decided on Twin Brothers for two reasons- I had read some good reviews, and it had air conditioning. The food was decent, the drinks were kind of meh.

From there we walked to the John Watlings rum distillery on Delancy street. Again, a bit of a hike, but definitely doable. The distillery is located in the original Buena Vista Estate, and has recently been redone. The estate is beautiful!

[ATTACH]280959[/ATTACH]

It is a self guided free tour, and there are staff around to tell you about the different rums they make- samples-yay!

There is also a tavern attached, and the mojitos we tried were excellent.

[ATTACH]280960[/ATTACH]

We would definitely go back here :). We ended up buying two bottles, one of the Pure, or clear, and one of the Buena Vista, which is aged for 6 years.

Tonight's entertainment was the RCI singers and dancers, with a 7:00 and 9:00 show, Battle of the Sexes in the centrum, and a poolside party with cardio provided by the amazing Darryl

[ATTACH]280962[/ATTACH]

Me with Darryl, not doing the cardio :)

There was also a buffet poolside, but we had eaten a large and wonderful meal in Giovanni's, so didn't eat anything.

Drink of the day was mojito

Random info : the Buena Vista Estate, where the John Watlings Distillery is located, was where part of the first James Bond Movie was filmed.

Lets try this again...

Day 6 At Sea

The end of any cruise is always bittersweet. You've planned for months, or sometimes a year or more, counted down the days, and now it's just about over. You have to pack all your things back up, usually not as carefully or organized as when you packed at the beginning of your trip...

We had made an appointment with Danney, the Loyalty Mgr, to book our next cruise ( always a good way to get past the last day of a cruise funk), and we were just about to book with him, when the Internet kept acting up. Internet access on this trip had been spotty to non-existent, so we weren't surprised. No worries, Danney took care of everything, and we booked our dream cruise- 12 nights in the Mediterranean.

Tonight was the second formal night, and we received a call inviting us to dine at the Captain's Table. It would mean switching our dining to the main seating - had to apologize again to our waiter.

ImageUploadedByForums1375382006.565917.jpg.8b259c6899b368f6f9b48746289b68d2.jpg

It was a very nice meal with great company :).

The evening's entertainment was Scott Alexander, with shows scheduled at 7:00 and 9:00. There was also a reception for upper tier Crown &Anchor, as well as the Quest (11:00)

Drink of the day was Captain's Bahama Mama

• 2 months later...

Archived