Almost live Grandeur review sailing 7/19/13

The cast: me, empty nester, and main planner, and my wonderful husband of 29 years, who loves the fact that when we go anywhere he basically just has to show up. I forget how many RCI cruises I've been on, and my signature doesn't show up when I'm on my IPad . I think we've been on every class of ship. It all boils down to the fact that we like to cruise :).

We booked this cruise while sailing to Bermuda on the Enchantment last summer. We have always wanted to try an aft cabin, and when I saw that corner aft cabin 7150 was available, I booked it. Fast forward to May, and I watched in sadness as the photos of the fire damaged Grandeur started appearing on the news as well as cruisecritic. Luckily no one was injured in the fire, and after watching and reading any updates on the status of the repairs, I was thrilled and relieved to learn that the Grandeur would be ready for our sail date.

Although flying would get us from Massachusetts to Baltimore in about an hour, we actually enjoy the drive, and driving means- no luggage restrictions.....more shoes! We are staying pre- cruise at the Admiral Fell Inn, a lovely hotel I found by accident. The hotel staff are amazing, and we look forward to our time in Baltimore almost as much as the cruise :). We 're planning on dinner in the Little Italy section of Baltimore the night before the cruise. When we get off the ship we'll be staying one more night at the Admiral Fell Inn so we can take in the Red Sox vs, the Orioles at Camden Yard ( great ballpark !).

The packing has started, well, mine anyway. My husband will probably pack Thursday morning before we leave. The only pre- cruise reservation I've made is the Chef's Table package. We tried the Chef's Table on the Allure this past April, and it was an incredible meal. I'm not a big fan of sushi, so we will do probably do Giovanni's twice instead of Izumi ( plus its my day's name :) ).

No excursions planned, we are beach lovers, so will be hopefully digging our toes in the sand at the port stops. The only thing on my list to try would be the John Watlings distillery in Nassau.

ImageUploadedByForums1373918661.170775.jpg.57628bc3e0b2551718dc86e729601568.jpg

This is me at the Fenway Night for Newtown :) a great night at a great ballpark!

Time to get back to packing.....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

After your dinner in Little Italy.....and believe me, you can't go wrong with any restaurant you chose, be sure to leave room for dessert at Vaccaro's. It's worth every extra calorie you will consume:D

http://www.vaccarospastry.com/locations.jsp

Have a great cruise! And enjoy Baltimore. It's a great city to spend time in. If you have any questions about Baltimore, I'll be happy to help you. I'll look forward to reading your review, as we sail on Grandeur next month:)

Thanks for the tip!

We love Baltimore :) this is our fourth time staying in Fell's Point before a cruise, and each time we've found something else we want to do. We are finally going to get around to the aquarium this trip.

we are from Maryland, but live in Chicago. lots to do down there, go catch an O's game.

fells point is an awesome place to eat and drink. We are staying at In laws next week before our cruise 7/26, in frederick.

Thanks for the tip!

We love Baltimore :) this is our fourth time staying in Fell's Point before a cruise, and each time we've found something else we want to do. We are finally going to get around to the aquarium this trip.

The cast: me, empty nester, and main planner, and my wonderful husband of 29 years, who loves the fact that when we go anywhere he basically just has to show up.

I love your statement. That is my DH and I. I do all the work/planning the cruise and excursions and he shows up. However, whenever Royal Caribbean communicates with us via letter or email it is addressed to DH. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

I love your statement. That is my DH and I. I do all the work/planning the cruise and excursions and he shows up. However, whenever Royal Caribbean communicates with us via letter or email it is addressed to DH. :confused::mad::rolleyes:

Yes, all our correspondence from RCI always comes addressed to my husband. Although we appear to be a little " Green Acres", we've been together for 34 years, married for 29, so it works :). This photo sums up our personalities :ImageUploadedByForums1373997397.196725.jpg.adf4bc4c553dba3aa564bfba1ea9bb5b.jpg

Back to planning... One of the great things about the Admiral Fell Inn is you not only have access to a concierge for pre- planning, but they also offer add-on deals. I chose their aquarium package, which includes 2 adult passes to the aquarium, a 25.00 dining credit at area restaurants ( I chose La Scala), and a 25.00 gift certificate for a future stay. As I said, we enjoy Baltimore almost as much as the cruise :)

Looks like 7150 is a popular cabin! I will try to take some good pictures :). We 'll have some free Internet minutes while on board as we are D+, so will try to do a little bit of "almost live" posting. Most of my pictures will be uploaded when we return.

Back to packing. My diva kitty is not amused by all the suitcases...

So I started checking weather for the Baltimore area a few days ago, and just the typical summer sweltering with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms showed up. Now all of a sudden severe weather forecasts for tomorrow, which could make for an interesting drive down. Last year there were flash floods when we were there. Adding rain ponchos to the packing pile :)

So I started checking weather for the Baltimore area a few days ago, and just the typical summer sweltering with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms showed up. Now all of a sudden severe weather forecasts for tomorrow, which could make for an interesting drive down. Last year there were flash floods when we were there. Adding rain ponchos to the packing pile :)

Happy cruising!!! :):) I also loved your original statement!!

All summer long here in the Baltimore area, the weather forecasts chance of afternoon thunderstorms. That just goes with the high heat and humidity in the region. Typically, they pass through quickly. That said, adding rain ponchos is a good idea;):)

I hope you have a safe and easy drive down. And have a great cruise and enjoy Baltimore!

It is officially vacation o'clock! Bags are packed, and I've made my first attempt at origami, otherwise known as the self print luggage tags. They are really not that bad, but I think I used a little too much tape on . I still worry about losing a piece of luggage after my beloved tiger striped bag took a detour from Ft. Lauderdale after our cruise on the Allure, and then took a whirlwind tour of Port au Prince Haiti, Miami, Chicago, and finally Hartford.

We are hoping to be on the road by 9:30, Baltimore here we come!

Archived