Crown info

cruizecrazygramma

We have saile Princess 5 times, the Caribbean the Sun and the Emerald 3 times. We were disappointed in several things on our last emerald sailing and decided maybe it was time to try other lines and expand our horizons. After 4 years, we want to give Princess another try and are looking at doing a b2b with the first leg to be on the Crown. I've read some not so great reviews, just wondering from someone who has sailed on the Crown recently what their thoughts are. thanks

We were on the Crown Princess for a 7 day Western Caribbean in early January, and for 17 days on the Galveston - Southampton transatlantic cruise in April 2013.

We had a great time for both cruises. I honestly don't know what there might have been to complain about, or what the other reviewers had issue with. Staff was welcoming and attended to our every need, food was great, and the ship was in fine condition. We found the two different Cruise Directors to be open and friendly, and entertainment was great. (I saw some complaints about the CD onboard in January 2013 which did not match our experience at all). The Captains and their crew ran a good ship, and Capt. Yeomans is extremely open and friendly as well.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail on Crown Princess again.

Edited by Times Prince

Having just disembarked from the Crown Princess on Saturday, I would have to say there was both good and bad. The ship was well maintained and for the most part we had a positive experience. The food in the buffet was very good, the main dining room was mostly good with a few failures and the food and service in the Crown Grill was exceptional. We problems we experienced were with our bathroom. The toilet stopped working at least 4 times in the first week of the 14 day cruise. The worst part was that waste water seeped onto our bathroom floor from behind the toilet each time. After sending a plumber and someone to disinfect the bathroom 4 times, they replaced the toilet when we were ashore one day. On a positive note, they did issue us a credit of $500.00. We also had a problem with the mattresses being severely worn and indented that sleeping was uncomfortable. They tried putting an egg crate on it but it didn't help. The next day they added another egg crate and other materials to fill in the indentation which helped. The mattresses really needed replacement. All and all, the ship was fine. Not the best we were ever on but not bad. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the Crown last February for the fourth time. I thought the food was generally good (very subjective) and I had a new pillowtop mattress that was very comfortable. I like the Crown and wouldn't hesitate to book her again.

Having just disembarked from the Crown Princess on Saturday, I would have to say there was both good and bad. The ship was well maintained and for the most part we had a positive experience. The food in the buffet was very good, the main dining room was mostly good with a few failures and the food and service in the Crown Grill was exceptional. We problems we experienced were with our bathroom. The toilet stopped working at least 4 times in the first week of the 14 day cruise. The worst part was that waste water seeped onto our bathroom floor from behind the toilet each time. After sending a plumber and someone to disinfect the bathroom 4 times, they replaced the toilet when we were ashore one day. On a positive note, they did issue us a credit of $500.00. We also had a problem with the mattresses being severely worn and indented that sleeping was uncomfortable. They tried putting an egg crate on it but it didn't help. The next day they added another egg crate and other materials to fill in the indentation which helped. The mattresses really needed replacement. All and all, the ship was fine. Not the best we were ever on but not bad. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer.

We are on Crown in less than two weeks what cabin number were you? I understand they had problems with the toilets at the AFT end of the ship before it came to the UK.

Riviera 525, I understand there were other problems on the Riviera deck as well

Fortunately we will be on the port side and several stories below Riviera.

Toilet issues happen on all ships and cruise lines. People don't pay attention on what shouldn't be flushed. We have come back to our cabin and found raw sewage coming out of the toilet (and it wasn't ours).It freaked me out but wouldn't stop me from sailing on that particular ship again.

We have sailed on the Crown and I must say loved everything about the ship. We didn't have toilet issues while on board.

Friend emailed me this week and is on the Coral. She had two days of toilet in cabin not functioning. Still her email was full of positive great cruise message.

We did the Crown last summer. My husband said he wished we had done a back to back. I considered a back to back over Christmas- we enjoyed her that much. I think if you go in with an attitude of trying to find problems you can do so. I'd book the Crown in a heart beat.

Thanks so much. all your input is greatly appreciated. I am not bothered by much on a cruise. I am there to have a good time no matter what. I was just concerned about a few things that were mentioned in reviews and all of you have said just the opposite. Looking for to our week on the crown as the first leg of a b2b for the first time:D

We got off the Crown on the 29th June. Had a great cruise. Food was excellent and the Crown grill food is amazing. The only thing we missed was the Vista Lounge (glad to see it is back on the Royal) the Crown has Club Fusion but they cannot put many things on in there as the sight line is really bad so the entertainment that is normally on in the Vista lounge was in Explorers which is not big enough to hold the numbers of people that want to go in. The Cruise Director and her Team were excellent and I am sure you will have a great time.

Julie

• 5 months later...

We were on the Crown when she was relatively new and had a horrible cruise. We decided to tempt fate and sailed on her again and this time it was most wonderful.

I think it is hit or miss with the types of things we experience on a cruise that makes it good or bad. I can tell you one thing, somebody else's excrement coming out of the toilet in my stateroom floor would make it disgusting. I would need to have my room changed and would not likely book on the ship ever again. Good for the post that took it with a grain of salt.

We were on her in August and against in September last year- we had an ill family member on the first cruise and the service and care we received were exemplary. When we returned for the second cruise our experience was the same- very helpful and friendly staff, great atmosphere , she is one of our favourite ships.

I think the Crown just needs a few cosmetic updates to keep it looking just as sharp as it's sister ships.

The cushions in the Piazza, Club Fusion and outside Explorers looked really worn. One cushion in Club Fusion was torn, and I actually saw a some type of large stain on the light green cushion on a chair in the Piazza the entire month we were on the ship. Some of the wall coverings in the hallways of the cabins were peeling off. With a few new touches, it would really make a difference. I also noticed certain areas in the Horizon court the carpeting was really dirty. Some areas were really

clean, thus making the dirty carpeting look really dirty.

We boarded the Crown on 12/14/13 and we did have toilet problems but the a/c was our main complaint! It was VERY HOT but would it stop me from cruising on the Crown again, NO WAY! Our cabin C509 (balcony, deck 10), was almost 80 degrees, every day! It was like a sauna! We called, they tried to repair it but basically the ONLY way to keep the cabin at a decent temperature is to keep the drapes drawn at all times and the a/c set at it's lowest setting!! If you let the sun come in or open the balcony door, it's an oven and with humidity, a sauna! We had a great time even with a crappy toilet and a/c that didn't work!

The food was good, the staff and service excellent and the weather warm and sunny! It was our Christmas present to ourselves, all 10 of us and we had a great time!

We have saile Princess 5 times, the Caribbean the Sun and the Emerald 3 times. We were disappointed in several things on our last emerald sailing and decided maybe it was time to try other lines and expand our horizons. After 4 years, we want to give Princess another try and are looking at doing a b2b with the first leg to be on the Crown. I've read some not so great reviews, just wondering from someone who has sailed on the Crown recently what their thoughts are. thanks

Probably since you didn't like Emerald, you aren't going to like Crown any better (sister ships).

Please do tell us about which other cruise lines/ships you've tried in the past four years and what you liked and didn't about them.

LuLu

~~~~