Cash Machine on Emerald Princess?

Buddy2004

We have never used the cash machines on Princess ships. And I was wondering what sort of exchange they offer. And is there a charge. Before we leave Canada I will have to exchange about $1000 as I will not be able to get Euros out of the bank machines of the counties we are visiting for a week before the cruise. Plus do they still cash Travels chqs on board? Because that may be the way to go.

I need the money to pay for a tour in ST Petersburg. I could pay with credit card but would like to pay with cash.:)

Forget about using the exchange machine. Not only is there a charge per transaction but the exchange rate sucks, to be honest. They will cash traveler's checks at the Passenger Services Desk but for US$. Your best bet is to use an ATM in the airport when you arrive in Europe or when you disembark the ship. I think there might be a limit to how much you can exchange at a time. I just order Euros from my bank before leaving home.

I will have to exchange about $1000 :)

But I just realized the ship docks in Germany before Russia so can got all the euros we need there.:)

If you are planning to get Euros using your ATM card, make sure your bank will allow that large a transaction in a single day.

When you land in Copenhagen, I bet there are exchange offices that will exchange into €. They usually have a list of currencies. The reason why I suggest this is that you may not be able to exchange $1K all at once.

While the exchange rates are pretty bad, we still use the machines onboard if we have to deal with more than two kinds of currency. We're never getting a large amount of money, and we think it's worth it for the convenience. In the past we've run around looking for an ATM only to find it wouldn't accept our card, or that it was out of order, etc. Also, we've been surprised by the fees on some ATM's. In Monaco the ATM seemed to have the correct logos on it, but we were charged $15 for changing $50 which is worse than the ship's fees, I think. On our Emerald TA we needed several different currencies, and the machine on the ship was always stocked with the correct currency in a timely fashion. When we're only using one currency we'll do our best to find an ATM or bank because we'd be changing a larger amount.

When you land in Copenhagen, I bet there are exchange offices that will exchange into €. They usually have a list of currencies. The reason why I suggest this is that you may not be able to exchange $1K all at once.

Never a good idea to change from one currency to another in a country which uses neither.

They do not change directly from Canadian (or US) $ to Euros. Must go to Danish currency first.

You will lose about 10% value changing from Canadian (or US) $ to Danish kroner and then another 10% changing from Danish Kroner to Euros.

Have only been on one ship, the QE2, which had a money change machine. For this I had to feed in AU$ to get back another currency. On Princess ships is this the case - that you need currency of one sort to exchange or can you get currency on your ship's card? Previously, I have presented my ship's card at the purser's desk and obtained local currency but I can't remember which shipping line. Quite a while ago. I know Princess won't do this. I suppose my question is can I get money by presenting my ship's card - like an ATM.

Archived