Fashionable in Alaska?

This is very interesting reading. I am contemplating an Alaskan cruise in May of 2015 for my 50th birthday, since DH is letting me pick where we go! We always sail Royal Caribbean, so I've been looking a bit at the prices and so forth.

I very much enjoy planning out all my outfits for each day and evening, so this would be a bit different. It certainly doesn't mean I have to wear "whatever" - I can envision myself wearing nicer jeans with sweaters, scarves and coats during the day as needed. (the scarf can be my "fashion" lol) I can't imagine myself wearing jeans at dinner, but I mean nothing personal to anyone who chooses too. I've always loved the beautiful dining rooms on the RCI ships, and like to dress up a bit.

I am wondering what it would be like for me, since when I'm warm, I'm really hot and when I'm cool, I'm freezing. I may need to wear a parka! Also, I wear a hearing aid and really can't hear without it. I would really have to work hard to keep it moisture free. Regular hats don't work well with a hearing aid, they cause a lot feedback or whistling. I do have a coat that would be good as a layer over something warmer that has a hood. I can tie it but still keep it loose around the hearing aid.

I used scarves to accessorize my outfits in Alaska and it worked out great. I was more casual than normal at nights, but I managed to dress up a bit. I only brought 2 black dresses with me and everything else was utilitarian. My charcoal gray Eddie Bauer ripstop pants went to dinner a few times in addition to the two dresses.

Considering your hearing aide, I would recommend getting a water proof (not water resistant) knee length rain coat with hood. I bought mine at Eddie Bauer and it's fantastic. Make sure you buy it a size bigger than you are to allow room for a fleece jacket or sweatshirt underneath. I hope this helps. :)

Lisa

Thank you for the good info, Lisa. I've been very back and forth on what I want to do in May. It's going to be my 50th birthday cruise, and DH is letting me choose by myself. I was thinking it might be nice to do something different. Truthfully, I know he would LOVE to see Alaska, and that adds to my excitement.

Since I sail Royal Caribbean, I am curious about the formal nights and if RCI is much more casual as well. I would probably opt for a short cocktail dress instead of my usual full length dresses if it is more casual.

I currently have a rain coat from Eddie Bauer, and it is really nice! It's been too cold to wear it just yet, but I really like how it is made. I could certain use it as a layer, since it has side tabs with a snap on either side. For current purposes, it allows me to bring in the sides for a better shape, but with layers, I could just move the tabs and the coat could handle it. I think my audiologist sells a few special items for keeping moisture out of my hearing aid as well that I can check with him about.

This could be a whole lot of fun for us next May!

Thank you for the good info, Lisa. I've been very back and forth on what I want to do in May. It's going to be my 50th birthday cruise, and DH is letting me choose by myself. I was thinking it might be nice to do something different. Truthfully, I know he would LOVE to see Alaska, and that adds to my excitement.

Since I sail Royal Caribbean, I am curious about the formal nights and if RCI is much more casual as well. I would probably opt for a short cocktail dress instead of my usual full length dresses if it is more casual.

I currently have a rain coat from Eddie Bauer, and it is really nice! It's been too cold to wear it just yet, but I really like how it is made. I could certain use it as a layer, since it has side tabs with a snap on either side. For current purposes, it allows me to bring in the sides for a better shape, but with layers, I could just move the tabs and the coat could handle it. I think my audiologist sells a few special items for keeping moisture out of my hearing aid as well that I can check with him about.

This could be a whole lot of fun for us next May!

We did HAL and booked Canaletto (think Giovanni's) for formal nights since we did not bring the gowns and tux. We could have easily eaten in the dining room. I was surprised how casual formal nights were in Alaska for HAL. You may want to check the Royal board and see what people say.

Lisa

• 1 month later...

We leave for Alaska later this month (woohoo!), and I did one of those picture packing lists (like on polyvore). I'm a visual person, so it helped in the case that this post was originated...

How do you minimize packing and not look the same everyday?

I'm down to a carry-on only. After lots of Pinterest & YouTube videos, I found that accessories (as previously mentioned on this thread) is the way to do it. First, they don't take up much room. Second, clothing can be basic while your accessory pops with color and/or print.

Start with basic long-sleeved shirt and jeans. Two different on-top shirts, cardigan, scarf, and belt. Just with what is mentioned, you have 42 different looks! Now, that's with the same long-sleeved shirt, and who wants to wear the same thing again and again (eww!). But, it's easy to look different (and good!) each day. :)

And I didn't even change shoes!

Also, imagine how your look changes with hair down verses a cute bun!

Edited by frawnsay

We leave for Alaska later this month (woohoo!), and I did one of those picture packing lists (like on polyvore). I'm a visual person, so it helped in the case that this post was originated...

How do you minimize packing and not look the same everyday?

I'm down to a carry-on only. After lots of Pinterest & YouTube videos, I found that accessories (as previously mentioned on this thread) is the way to do it. First, they don't take up much room. Second, clothing can be basic while your accessory pops with color and/or print.

Start with basic long-sleeved shirt and jeans. Two different on-top shirts, cardigan, scarf, and belt. Just with what is mentioned, you have 42 different looks! Now, that's with the same long-sleeved shirt, and who wants to wear the same thing again and again (eww!). But, it's easy to look different (and good!) each day. :)

And I didn't even change shoes!

Also, imagine how your look changes with hair down verses a cute bun!

Hi:) I normally consider myself a pretty good packer and I always

sail solo. I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on all my cruises.....

This is just a curious question really....especially because it is Alaska....

you are able to pack everything you need for an Alaskan Cruise in

just a carry on bag?....it is not a critisizm, just wondering how?

you are able to pack everything you need for an Alaskan Cruise in

just a carry on bag?

;) Let's answer this two ways...

1. Yes, it can be done. For me, shoes were the tricky part (hiking boots, heels for dinner, athletic shoes), so I plan on wearing bulky shoes on the flight to allow as much room in my bag--along with my 3-in-1 jacket. Using space saver bags and packing in every nook and cranny (rolled up scarves in shoes, placing items inside my packed clutch, etc.), I made it work. That includes minimal toiletries, make-up, and jewelry. My husband will have things like an umbrella, binoculars, and so forth in his personal item.

Or...

2. We shall see if packing less and clever pays off in the long run. Will I save money not checking? Sure. Will I miss having an assortment of shoes, jackets, 2-3 outfits per day (like I do when I've traveled before)? Don't know.

I'm just trying something new and am excited about potentially looking nice without having to pack and lug around half of an armoire.:o

1. Yes, it can be done. For me, shoes were the tricky part (hiking boots, heels for dinner, athletic shoes), so I plan on wearing bulky shoes on the flight to allow as much room in my bag--along with my 3-in-1 jacket. Using space saver bags and packing in every nook and cranny (rolled up scarves in shoes, placing items inside my packed clutch, etc.), I made it work. That includes minimal toiletries, make-up, and jewelry. My husband will have things like an umbrella, binoculars, and so forth in his personal item.

Or...

2. We shall see if packing less and clever pays off in the long run. Will I save money not checking? Sure. Will I miss having an assortment of shoes, jackets, 2-3 outfits per day (like I do when I've traveled before)? Don't know.

I'm just trying something new and am excited about potentially looking nice without having to pack and lug around half of an armoire.:o

Oh...ok....like I said, I was just wondering. I have been to Alaska

3 times and LOVED IT:D.....I am thinking of going again in 2015.

I never bring boots but still prefer to just pay the fee and bring

a regular checked bag.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Oh, we're excited. LBH, I'm giddy! I wouldn't be bringing boots normally, but the hubs wants to HIKE, HIKE, HIKE! He's excited for rain forests and glaciers, and I'm excited over open seas and the kiddos staying home with Grandma! :D

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Alaska--and here's yet another! Any advice on a must have item? (But remember, I won't have much room) ;)

Oh, we're excited. LBH, I'm giddy! I wouldn't be bringing boots normally, but the hubs wants to HIKE, HIKE, HIKE! He's excited for rain forests and glaciers, and I'm excited over open seas and the kiddos staying home with Grandma! :D

I keep hearing so many wonderful things about Alaska--and here's yet another! Any advice on a must have item? (But remember, I won't have much room) ;)

Maybe I am out of the loop....what is LBH?

My recommendation? Go on a Floatplane Tour in Ketchikan:D.....

I remember that one and it was absolutely one of the most fantastic

tours I have ever taken. I went with "Island Wings"......simply

fabulous.

Here are some photos........

3935086928_e49aca3a48_b.jpg

Sorry to cause confusion! LBH = Let's Be Honest

Oh, that looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Our hike (sigh) in Ketchikan is in the morning and finished by lunch. Entire afternoon is open, so maybe...

Hi Lisa, great photos:) The last time I was in Alaska was 2009 so by

2015? 6 years in between.......yes, I think I will be going again:D

Sorry to cause confusion! LBH = Let's Be Honest

Oh, that looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation. Our hike (sigh) in Ketchikan is in the morning and finished by lunch. Entire afternoon is open, so maybe...

Hi again,:) you are sailing at the end of this month? If you already are

doing a tour? I doubt the floatplane would work....it is not cheap

(but worth it) and they usually book up very quickly........

www.islandwings.com

Oh, and thanks for the explanation LOL....ok, being honest:)

Edited by Lois R

Hi Lisa, great photos:) The last time I was in Alaska was 2009 so by

2015? 6 years in between.......yes, I think I will be going again:D

We we last September and that was the only day the entire trip that it was sunny and clear. I was so happy for great weather. Walt got to sit in the co-pilot seat while I sat all the way in the back to get the awesome pictures. I booked the float plane tour because Walt has his private pilot's license and I thought he would enjoy the experience. We both loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, we leave in a couple of days, and I did my practice packing tonight. Carry-on bag (airline approved dimensions 10x17x22) is packed! I didn't even use my "personal item"!

I will be wearing my hiking boots, one pair of jeans, one blouse, one scarf, and necessities onto the plane. Also, will carry my 3-in-1 coat. Yes, I will look ridiculous in the Midwest with temps in the 80s. :p

In my bag...

-7 blouses

-2 cardigans

-2 pants

-3 dresses (including formal night attire)

-lots of necessities (socks, undershirts, undergarments, pjs)

-2 sets of workout clothes (shirts, bottoms, necessities)

-4 shoes (including formal night attire)

-toiletries & hair accessories

-accessories (scarves, jewelry, cold weather necessities)

I will still have my "personal" item for other needs (chargers, travel docs, etc.)

:D So, who's going to burst my bubble and remind me of something I forgot? :D

Okay, we leave in a couple of days, and I did my practice packing tonight. Carry-on bag (airline approved dimensions 10x17x22) is packed! I didn't even use my "personal item"!

I will be wearing my hiking boots, one pair of jeans, one blouse, one scarf, and necessities onto the plane. Also, will carry my 3-in-1 coat. Yes, I will look ridiculous in the Midwest with temps in the 80s. :p

In my bag...

-7 blouses

-2 cardigans

-2 pants

-3 dresses (including formal night attire)

-lots of necessities (socks, undershirts, undergarments, pjs)

-2 sets of workout clothes (shirts, bottoms, necessities)

-4 shoes (including formal night attire)

-toiletries & hair accessories

-accessories (scarves, jewelry, cold weather necessities)

I will still have my "personal" item for other needs (chargers, travel docs, etc.)

:D So, who's going to burst my bubble and remind me of something I forgot? :D

You got all that in a carry-on? I bow to you! I may try it. I want more pants but am only taking one dress, so it may work.

I've always had a problem with toiletries but as a recent birch-box addict, I'm going to have so many little sample things. found 7 sample packs of the Mary Kay stuff I use - one per day! and will get small bottles for all my hair stuff.

What about swim suit? for the polar plunge?!

What about swim suit? for the polar plunge?!

Ah, yes! Thank you...yes, that's in the outside pocket is a special wet pack that I found via packing videos on youtube :) Just got home from the lake, so the suit is in the wash, but the wet pack is in the side pocket.

I even purchased space saver bags and didn't use them. My husband may still need them, though.

This is a sleepwear question.....I normally sleep in a pair of cotton

pj's......just wondering if you plan to bring anything to sleep in?

This is a sleepwear question.....I normally sleep in a pair of cotton

pj's......just wondering if you plan to bring anything to sleep in?

Yes, I listed them under "necessities", because pjs, socks, underwear are all necessities for me. :)

Or...

Hi Melinda - can you report back after your cruise and let us know how it turned out for you on this thread? I tend to over pack and bring the "armoire". Its not so much costs for me as I am able to check multiple bags for free (frequent flyer bonus) however its all the lugging of baggage and un-packing/packing that I'd like to avoid. DH and I will be on our 1 week cruise Seward to Vancouver Alaska beginning of September however we also have 1 week land on our own, so I'm trying to scale down where I can. Thanks again for all your information thus far and enjoy your cruise!! Patti

Hi Melinda - can you report back after your cruise and let us know how it turned out for you on this thread? I tend to over pack and bring the "armoire". Its not so much costs for me as I am able to check multiple bags for free (frequent flyer bonus) however its all the lugging of baggage and un-packing/packing that I'd like to avoid. DH and I will be on our 1 week cruise Seward to Vancouver Alaska beginning of September however we also have 1 week land on our own, so I'm trying to scale down where I can. Thanks again for all your information thus far and enjoy your cruise!! Patti

Patti-ABSOLUTELY! Would be happy to help other OCP (obsessive compulsive packers), and I will be the first to admit if I've been foolish :o

Patti-ABSOLUTELY! Would be happy to help other OCP (obsessive compulsive packers), and I will be the first to admit if I've been foolish :o

Melinda - LOL! OCP! That's me!!! :p:p Again, thanks so much. And enjoy Alaska! Patti

This is very interesting reading. I am contemplating an Alaskan cruise in May of 2015 for my 50th birthday, since DH is letting me pick where we go! We always sail Royal Caribbean, so I've been looking a bit at the prices and so forth.

I very much enjoy planning out all my outfits for each day and evening, so this would be a bit different. It certainly doesn't mean I have to wear "whatever" - I can envision myself wearing nicer jeans with sweaters, scarves and coats during the day as needed. (the scarf can be my "fashion" lol) I can't imagine myself wearing jeans at dinner, but I mean nothing personal to anyone who chooses too. I've always loved the beautiful dining rooms on the RCI ships, and like to dress up a bit.

I am wondering what it would be like for me, since when I'm warm, I'm really hot and when I'm cool, I'm freezing. I may need to wear a parka! Also, I wear a hearing aid and really can't hear without it. I would really have to work hard to keep it moisture free. Regular hats don't work well with a hearing aid, they cause a lot feedback or whistling. I do have a coat that would be good as a layer over something warmer that has a hood. I can tie it but still keep it loose around the hearing aid.

Mytime2014,

Don't want to burst your bubble but want to suggest, and I speak from experience on this as I've cruised to Alaska before, save room in your "personal" tote (or whatever you use) for a small umbrella and the best pair of binoculars and camera you can afford...trust me these are more important than anything else you will take on your trip to Alaska. :) I hope you have a wonderful time in Alaska...it's amazingly awesome!

Laurie,

Try on one of those hats (I have two of them) with the ear-flaps. They are very trendy! I think they're cute and they kept my ears warm on our Alaskan cruise. It should keep your hearing aid from getting wet and moisture-free.

Edited by mousey