Children and elegant nights

lrowe70

I don't have kids but from what I've read here on cruise critic, they only eat at camp if you send them to camp for dinner. Some parents have their kids dine with them in the MDR and they go back to camp afterwards. Your choice, it seems. If they go to the MDR with you, they'll need decent clothes, at least. Doesn't really have to be "formal", though.

Thanks for the replies. We've always dressed up our son for dinner, but this time we've decided to send him to camp so weren't sure about if the policy applied there.

We may dress him up for photos one of the nights....hummmm

Can anyone tell me if kids are okay in nice shorts on elegant night? My 2 boys are 10 and 12. They have plaid pattern shorts that they were going to wear with a Polo shirt. I'm hoping it's okay. I know it says no shorts for ladies and gentlemen. The kids aren't quite gentlemen yet. :D

Can anyone tell me if kids are okay in nice shorts on elegant night? My 2 boys are 10 and 12. They have plaid pattern shorts that they were going to wear with a Polo shirt. I'm hoping it's okay. I know it says no shorts for ladies and gentlemen. The kids aren't quite gentlemen yet. :D

At 10 and 12, I think they are little gentleman ;) They may be able to get away with it, but since they are older I would bring a pair of slacks or khaki pants for them just in case. Always better to be prepared :)

We have taken our GK's on 10 cruises and have always dressed them according to the dress code, it seems there is 1 dress code and not one mentioned according to age. We also have never sent them to camp to eat, meal times were spent together as in family time. One time our GD begged to eat with the camp, she went 1 time and never went back, did not like it. I realize parents want some alone time, but if you would have anytime dining you could eat light early and then dine alone later when the kids went to camp.

I think you are likely going to be turned away, maybe send them to camp for dinner if they don't have any long pants to wear.

I think you are likely going to be turned away, maybe send them to camp for dinner if they don't have any long pants to wear.

They won't go to camp. I just hate to spend the money on pants they will use for 2 nights then outgrow before they need them again.

They won't go to camp. I just hate to spend the money on pants they will use for 2 nights then outgrow before they need them again.

You live in Mass and your kids don't own a single pair of pants? What do they wear when it's cold out? :confused:

I totally understand not wanting to invest in clothing they might not wear again, but seriously? Wal-mart or Target or Kohls all have very reasonable prices for a pair of long pants. You can certainly get a pair for each of them for under $30 total. It would be a good time to show them about dressing up for dinner and acting like gentlemen. Have to agree with lovebelle - at that age they are little gentlemen.

You live in Mass and your kids don't own a single pair of pants? What do they wear when it's cold out? :confused:

Jeans. Actually, no, I wish it was jeans. Now they all want to wear these athletic pants things. It's a struggle even to get them in jeans. Not to mention, and I am not even exaggerating, their pants from April do not fit anymore. Neither did their nice shoes. Had to buy those over as well. They are growing like weeds!!!

I totally understand not wanting to invest in clothing they might not wear again, but seriously? Wal-mart or Target or Kohls all have very reasonable prices for a pair of long pants. You can certainly get a pair for each of them for under $30 total. It would be a good time to show them about dressing up for dinner and acting like gentlemen. Have to agree with lovebelle - at that age they are little gentlemen.

Yeah, I mean I hear what you are saying. But that is after I bought them each 4 polo shirts, some nice shorts for regular nights, new shoes for the dining room, along with all the other stuff. It would be really simple if they wouldn't serve the Prime Rib and lobster on elegant night. If my kids need to dress for something then I understand and they will but I really don't see any reason to have them learn their lessons on vacation. Vacation is for fun. Their favorite food? Ribs. Oh yeah, that is on elegant night also. Go get your kids in their nice clothes and then give them drippy saucy ribs. :D

Target and Wal-Mart both have their school uniform slacks out already - khaki, black, and navy. The prices (at my local stores) range from $12 to $16. These would be perfect for boys' dinner wear.

We have 2 girls. They have never been to Camp Carnival. They dine with us at early seating in the MDR every night and enjoy it. They wear sundresses on Cruise Casual nights, and "dressy" dresses (the little girl version of formal) on Elegant Nights. Their Elegant Night dresses are usually this year's and last year's Christmas or Easter dresses, depending on what season we are cruising. This is a great way to get more mileage out of those holiday dresses.;)

I bought my 13 year old son a pair of khakis that he wore for dress nights. They're the type he can also wear to school and ran 25 on sale.

Nice shorts for little boys (less than, say 7) are OK.

I would pack long pants for boys of your sons' ages -- don't have to be dress pants -- khakis would be OK.

Yeah, I mean I hear what you are saying. But that is after I bought them each 4 polo shirts, some nice shorts for regular nights, new shoes for the dining room, along with all the other stuff. It would be really simple if they wouldn't serve the Prime Rib and lobster on elegant night. If my kids need to dress for something then I understand and they will but I really don't see any reason to have them learn their lessons on vacation. Vacation is for fun. Their favorite food? Ribs. Oh yeah, that is on elegant night also. Go get your kids in their nice clothes and then give them drippy saucy ribs. :D

I do understand. When my son was younger it never failed that we would buy school clothes in August and he would have a growth spurt right afterwards. Now, mine only got taller and stayed skinny so I could get longer pants and hem them with good sized hems that I could let down. Worked out pretty good. I also understand about the mess, but what better time to learn how to eat without looking like you rolled in the BBQ sauce? :)

Yes, it is vacation, but manners still apply as does being little gentlemen. As much as they might like to think that they will absolutely die if they have to act correctly for an hour or two, I promise it really won't kill them. Just spread that napkin all the way across the lap!

I do understand. When my son was younger it never failed that we would buy school clothes in August and he would have a growth spurt right afterwards. Now, mine only got taller and stayed skinny so I could get longer pants and hem them with good sized hems that I could let down. Worked out pretty good. I also understand about the mess, but what better time to learn how to eat without looking like you rolled in the BBQ sauce? :)

Yes, it is vacation, but manners still apply as does being little gentlemen. As much as they might like to think that they will absolutely die if they have to act correctly for an hour or two, I promise it really won't kill them. Just spread that napkin all the way across the lap!

Oh you would not believe! My older son is messy Marvin. My younger kid, no problems, never a drop spilled. My older boy, I teach him, show him, whatever I do, he still manages to make a mess. It's crazy actually. You would probably think we were bad parents looking at him but it's not for lack of teaching. I think it's because he is naturally prone to rush when he should take his time.

Oh well I guess I'll be buying some khakis tomorrow. Otherwise I'll let the kids go to the buffet while we eat in the dining room. :D

Thanks for the replies. We've always dressed up our son for dinner, but this time we've decided to send him to camp so weren't sure about if the policy applied there.

We may dress him up for photos one of the nights....hummmm

camp is closed at 5pm. you take him to the buffet area by 5:45pm so he can dine with the counselors. they ask that you aer prompt (he doesnt go to the buffet- they bring out the food to them) when dinner is over they take the kids back to camp

I usually go to Good Will to find dress clothes. They only wear them for those dinners so I don't spend a lot of money, but since 3 my sons wear pants and button up long sleeve shirts and some times ties on formal night.

We bought our little guy (4yrs) a suite for our upcoming cruise. After the pictures, it's back in shorts for him, and off to Camp Carnival. He wanted no part of having dinner with Mom & Dad last time. He loves eating with all the other kids. They have their own buffet filled with all the foods kids love to eat.

Just out of curiosity, are shorts OK for kids in MDR on other nights? How about for adults? I'm not talking about athletic or work-out shorts, I mean something along the line of what would be called walking shorts (i.e. wear with a belt, tucked in shirt).

Just out of curiosity, are shorts OK for kids in MDR on other nights? How about for adults? I'm not talking about athletic or work-out shorts, I mean something along the line of what would be called walking shorts (i.e. wear with a belt, tucked in shirt).

The dress code says "dress shorts" are okay on other nights.

I usually go to Good Will to find dress clothes. They only wear them for those dinners so I don't spend a lot of money, but since 3 my sons wear pants and button up long sleeve shirts and some times ties on formal night.

Seconding the thrift shop. I don't have kids, but I can get a pair of pants for myself for less than six dollars at the thrift store, so I can't imagine two pairs of kids' pants would run you more than $10 for both. Then, if they grow out of them before they wear them again, you can just take them back to the thrift shop and consider it a rental.

Archived