Children and elegant nights

lrowe70

Oh you would not believe! My older son is messy Marvin. My younger kid, no problems, never a drop spilled. My older boy, I teach him, show him, whatever I do, he still manages to make a mess. It's crazy actually. You would probably think we were bad parents looking at him but it's not for lack of teaching. I think it's because he is naturally prone to rush when he should take his time.

Oh well I guess I'll be buying some khakis tomorrow. Otherwise I'll let the kids go to the buffet while we eat in the dining room. :D

*LOL* My daughter , when she was little used to be "old faithful" :) If we were all sitting at the table eating you could bet she would knock over her drink. *LOL* Of course by accident and accidents do happen , but it just always seemed to happen to her :( Like your son, it would be because she was rushing, or picking up her drink with one hand instead of 2 at that age .

Same ritual, drink would spill, everyone gets up at the table to avoid the wave of beverage coming at you at the end of the table, someone running for a dish towel or paper towels . And of course her younger brother helping to make matters worse by loudly saying something like "OH NO NOT AGAIN" "WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER ?" which would make DD cry

This happened at home , restaurants, weddings, Holidays you name it.

Thank God she grew out of that .. She is 27 now and her brother is 25 *LOL*

A couple weeks ago we were out to eat (my daughter wasn't with us ) and the little girl a few tables over from us spilled a large soda all over the table. It was like Deja Vu only we weren't the ones who had to clean it up.

My son looked at me and said "Dad , Tonya is here in this room, can't you feel her presence ? Tonya , if you are here spill something else" *LOL*

Can anyone tell me if kids are okay in nice shorts on elegant night? My 2 boys are 10 and 12. They have plaid pattern shorts that they were going to wear with a Polo shirt. I'm hoping it's okay. I know it says no shorts for ladies and gentlemen. The kids aren't quite gentlemen yet. :D

This sounds like regular dining attire not elegant evening. Is this what they wear for Easter or to church? If they were 5 - sure it would be cute. 10-12 year olds aren't cute little kids. Young adults should dress nicely. Not being mean. I have a teen son and he puts on pants for dinner and promptly changes out - he wears shorts to school even in January when it's below 32.

If you are going a 3 day cruise - sure it's fine. If going a 7 day cruise - nope. Dress code more relaxed on short cruises than long.

Oh you would not believe! My older son is messy Marvin. My younger kid, no problems, never a drop spilled. My older boy, I teach him, show him, whatever I do, he still manages to make a mess. It's crazy actually. You would probably think we were bad parents looking at him but it's not for lack of teaching. I think it's because he is naturally prone to rush when he should take his time.

Oh well I guess I'll be buying some khakis tomorrow. Otherwise I'll let the kids go to the buffet while we eat in the dining room. :D

I think you get the vote for Mother of the Year!

*LOL* My daughter , when she was little used to be "old faithful" :) If we were all sitting at the table eating you could bet she would knock over her drink. *LOL* Of course by accident and accidents do happen , but it just always seemed to happen to her :( Like your son, it would be because she was rushing, or picking up her drink with one hand instead of 2 at that age .

Same ritual, drink would spill, everyone gets up at the table to avoid the wave of beverage coming at you at the end of the table, someone running for a dish towel or paper towels . And of course her younger brother helping to make matters worse by loudly saying something like "OH NO NOT AGAIN" "WHAT'S WRONG WITH HER ?" which would make DD cry

This happened at home , restaurants, weddings, Holidays you name it.

Thank God she grew out of that .. She is 27 now and her brother is 25 *LOL*

quote]

OMG! This is my oldest daughter and son exactly (even the age difference is the same.)! I don't think we were EVER in a restaurant that she didn't spill her drink, and make a scene! :o

She is a lovely, well-mannered adult now, thank goodness!!:D

How about the kind of cargo pant that can be zipped off at the knee? Could wear as shorts later....

That is a good idea! Also the Goodwill one. I, too, have gone to Goodwill for something like that.

Fortunately, my son (now 21) wasn't a spiller, he was the one always getting hurt. We always joked it was not a vacation until Drew hit his head! :D

We have taken our GK's on 10 cruises and have always dressed them according to the dress code, it seems there is 1 dress code and not one mentioned according to age. We also have never sent them to camp to eat, meal times were spent together as in family time. One time our GD begged to eat with the camp, she went 1 time and never went back, did not like it. I realize parents want some alone time, but if you would have anytime dining you could eat light early and then dine alone later when the kids went to camp.

We have no intention of eating dinner with our son. The whole reason we chose this cruise was so he could eat at camp. What was this issue your GD had with eating there? This comment worries me, usually we hear that kids love camp and beg to go. :confused:

We have no intention of eating dinner with our son. The whole reason we chose this cruise was so he could eat at camp. What was this issue your GD had with eating there? This comment worries me, usually we hear that kids love camp and beg to go. :confused:

Kids, like adults are individuals. Not all of them like camp. Some of them (like mine) have no interest in going. Some of them go and find they don't like it for one reason or another (like LoveJake's GD). Some could take it or leave it. And some have to be dragged away from it kicking and screaming because they love it so much.:p Hopefully, for your sake, your son will be one of the latter group. But what if he isn't? You might want to have a back-up plan for otherwise.;)

We let our son try it last cruise. He's 4. My wife was a little worried, however after his first dinner with Camp Carnival, he had no intention of eating dinner with us.:eek: We head out again on Sunday and he can't wait to get back to Camp Carnival.

My kids hated camp and rarely went. I can count on one hand the number of times they went out of 9 cruises from the time they were 4 and 7 until our last cruise when they were 14 and 17. They prefered hanging out with us rather than a bunch of strangers. That was ok with us becauses those cruises were our family vacation and not an adult vacation for DH and myself. We enjoyed spending the time with our kids and eating dinner every night with them which was a treat for us with our busy work, school, and sports schedules at home.

people here represent less then 1% of the sailing public.

My GD also do not like the camps- we tried it for one hour the first day.

she was in the 2-5 year old program. the program was basically too young for her. and with the crying babies the older kids were asked too many times to be quiet. so we did not take her back.

I have seen the buffet area with the kids. Most times there is not a lot of kids dining there. They have one little section. they do not get up to help themselves. they do not get a lot of choices from the menu. (the menu will be on their activitiy sheet for the week. its all kid friendly foods though.

Camps are not opened for lunch time either. The camps are opened at 10:00 on sea days They close at 12:45 and reopen back up at 2. close again at 5pm

dinner is on the lido deck by 5:45 and walked back to campo with the counselors.

If your child is in the 9-11 group--one of the best at seas--

What is the plan for the first night when camps are not opened?

They won't go to camp. I just hate to spend the money on pants they will use for 2 nights then outgrow before they need them again.

Go to a thrift store or a consignment store and find them pants. For about $4 per pair of pants, it will be a cheap way to go. I would hate to see you turned away because of the shorts. You can redonate them when you get home.

They prefered hanging out with us rather than a bunch of strangers. That was ok with us becauses those cruises were our family vacation and not an adult vacation for DH and myself. We enjoyed spending the time with our kids and eating dinner every night with them which was a treat for us with our busy work, school, and sports schedules at home.

Absolutely agree 100%. While I registered both DS5 and DD8 for Camp Carnival, I can't imagine they'll spend much if any time there. Certainly not for meals. My DD8 would never be happy eating chicken fingers over the chance to be dressed up in MDR eating steak and lobster. :cool:

Archived