Royal Caribbean should look at the CC homepage poll

Nice try of twisting, but wrong. I´ve never had a Problem, have never been affected by a neighbour Smoking on their balcony. That however does not Transfer into I never had smokers on my neighbour balconies. The truth is I´ve had lots of smokers on balconies next to mine, but despite me being a non-smoker as well as someone disliking smoke at a max I never had a Problem on the balcony.

As much as I am against Smoking I say the policy is great as it is and I make it a Habit to put it on my comment Card every cruise.

IMHO smokers have every right to have their cigs. in designated Areas and balconies are a perfect fit for that.

Thank you....from a smoker to a non smoker

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I agree and I have e-mailed RCI and asked the question as we will be cancelling if this is the case. Will let you know when I get a reply.

I'm thinking about doing the same....could you let me know what they answer?

Smoking on balconies is the reason I am sailing with RCI.......to me this is terrible news

They can ban pot smoking.....that would be fine by me!

So it is OK for RCI to ban something as long as it doesn't affect you?

I'll go there ............. again. :rolleyes:

The smoker has the right/permission to smoke on 'their' "own (paid for) private area of the ship ... ".

Until that's changed, this argument will go on and on, blah, blah, blah. ;)

You are absolutely correct. Just keep it on your own (paid for) private area of the ship and off of my (paid for) private area of the ship.

You are absolutely correct. Just keep it on your own (paid for) private area of the ship and off of my (paid for) private area of the ship.

Once the smoke is exhaled ... is it the responsibility of the smoker to control where it goes?

I have never been able to control the wind. You? ;)

Round and round we go. :)

Cigarrette smoking is a serious health hazzard . Second hand smoke can cause lung cancer , cardiac and other health problems. Those who smoke are in denial of what might happen to them and the results of their second hand smoke on others.

Once the smoke is exhaled ... is it the responsibility of the smoker to control where it goes?

That is a very interesting concept. Do we have any responsibility for the aftermath of our actions? Your answer is pretty clear.

That is a very interesting concept. Do we have any responsibility for the aftermath of our actions? Your answer is pretty clear.

What answer?

Your question - "Do we have any responsibility ... ?"

That question could be asked about MANY things we all do in every day life.

Are any of us totally guilt free?

Oh well I guess people will be on deck in pajamas. Then non smokers will complain about that. Thankfully I have ecigs. All smokers should stop buying cigarettes on the ship since they won't be able to smoke them on the ship or be inconvenienced to go to a smoking area. Cut the revenue buy your cigarettes on the islands you visit.

Love To Cruise RCCL

I agree and I have e-mailed RCI and asked the question as we will be cancelling if this is the case. Will let you know when I get a reply.

I don't blame you as many smokers really don't care about the effects of their filthy, costly habit has on other people. We can't stand the smell of the smoke or breathing their smoke! Many don't realize how badly THEY smell...it's all over their breath and clothes. Their houses even smell! Believe me, I know first hand as my dear deceased mother smoked for over 50 years and only quit after a heart attack. She survied the heart attack and triple bypass surgery and was diagnosed with colon cancer a year later. Even though we had begged her to stop smoking for years, the habit was more important. Wake up people smoking kills as well as being OFFENSIVE to others!

My husband is a smoker and we pay good money to be on a balcony just like everyone else. He is considerate of others. When we are in public he makes a point not to bother anyone. But if we are on a balcony that we had saved for he WILL be smoking on it if the rule has not changed. If its changed we will still get a balcony but he will use his ecig :D

Sent from my MB886 using Forums mobile app

I am currently in Oasis- room steward told me there would be no smoking in balconies by September. Not sure about the first official date though.

I hope this is true also...we sail on Oasis on Aug 31st we have a balcony room.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Okay, I'm only on my first cup of coffee, but I don't understand/get this.

I detect sarcasm in your post but let me make it simple for you. I believe the percentage of chain smokers on ships is very low.

I've done the simple math and I've only been affected by the smoke of others on my personal balcony about 5% or less of the time. To make it even more simple - that would be 1 out of 20 cruises. It has only driven me off of my balcony 2 or 3 times. I've been in non-balcony rooms a few times which accounts for my imprecise math of 5% or less.

But everyone needs to realize I didn't bring this up to start a fight. It's not about whether it HAS affected you in the past. Maybe RCI doesn't want it to affect any of us in the future. It's not about YOUR balcony no matter which side you are on in the silly argument. It's about the safety of ALL of us.

Would you like to be the one in the news the next time when someone starts YOUR ship on fire with a cigarette? Will you be the one asking why they allowed people to smoke in private areas? Where they won't be seen if they fall asleep with a lit cigarette? If smoking is restricted to limited public areas someone will see them if they fall asleep. Yes, people sleep on their balconies.

And just so you all realize, crew is also alleged to be affected by the changes that I've been told are planned. At this point in time they are permitted to smoke in their rooms if their room mate doesn't object. Apparently this will no longer be the case and crew will be required to go to their own public smoking areas to smoke. As I heard, that date would be August 1. Maybe it will be changed. We know what happens every time things happen - change, delays, etc...

Just because something hasn't affected you (collectively), doesn't mean it hasn't affected others. Someone may go on 50 cruises and never smell smoke. Someone may go on 1 and be affected. I'd hope to never be affected by the accident that could happen because of one careless smoker, be it my 1st or 100th cruise.

Gina

It's not about YOUR balcony no matter which side you are on in the silly argument. It's about the safety of ALL of us.

Ahhh, sense of community....a concept that seems to be becoming more and more scarce. :(

What answer?

Your question - "Do we have any responsibility ... ?"

That question could be asked about MANY things we all do in every day life.

Are any of us totally guilt free?

We aren't talking about many things in life. We are talking about smoking. You made it pretty clear that where your smoke goes is not your responsibility and, apparently, of no concern to you.

So it is OK for RCI to ban something as long as it doesn't affect you?

That was a joke....oh and pot smoking is illegal.....last time I checked there was nothing illegal about cigarettes

I can't stand cigarette smoke, it gives me a headache. I don't mind the various other types of smoke but cigarette just gets to me. Someone was chain smoking on the balcony next to us last year and it made having a balcony pretty useless. We figured it wouldn't be a problem to light a cigar but sure as ****, 5 minutes later our stateroom attendant came over and said that someone complained, figures. Wish they'd just go ahead and make it all or nothing. I understand gripes from both sides of the fence, it's much like a political or religious debate. There's never a real winner and people just end up bitching at each other for ever, fun.

RC could do a number of things to allow a smoke free balcony experience. One side only, every third deck of balconies, (alternating between sides to allow hump/aft cabins to both smokers and non smokers), anything is possible if they have enough drive to make a change.. but I don't think it's that big of deal yet.

LOL! This thread cracks me up! I am not smoker and it this is hilarious because from what I am reading there have been very few smokers making comments in this thread. It has been for the most part non smokers arguing among themselves. LOL! And who stays on their balcony all day to know that smokers are out there all day smoking??? You would think that the non smokers happen to always meet up at the same time of day on the balconies. You would also think that the smokers smoke has found a pocket on their neighbors balcony to just linger around so that when the neighbor comes out the are overtaken by this smoke just sitting there even though this ship is moving with the wind blowing it away! LOL! Too funny!

LOL! This thread cracks me up! I am not smoker and it this is hilarious because from what I am reading there have been very few smokers making comments in this thread. It has been for the most part non smokers arguing among themselves. LOL! And who stays on their balcony all day to know that smokers are out there all day smoking??? You would think that the non smokers happen to always meet up at the same time of day on the balconies. You would also think that the smokers smoke has found a pocket on their neighbors balcony to just linger around so that when the neighbor comes out the are overtaken by this smoke just sitting there even though this ship is moving with the wind blowing it away! LOL! Too funny!

I think that very few smokers ever speak up when it comes to rights. They just accept their punishment (ie, their little corner of wherever so they can smoke in peace), and live with it.

What I find amazing, is the same people who complain about smoking on the balcony more than likely complained about smoking in the ship. They wanted a smoke free atmosphere, and could they please just move the smokers outside only? So they did that, and now guess what...:rolleyes:

Nancy

Emotion should not overrule facts. Smoking is harmful to the smoker and any other person that is in contact with second hand smoke. Smoke is a known irritant for a variety of medical conditions of which the person has no control over. Passing briefly through a disgusting cloud of smoke freshly purged from deep inside someone's lungs will stick to a persons clothes until they are washed. Ash, and carelessly disposed of cigs is a huge problem many cities are trying to combat, not to mention the cause of thousands of fires a year.

I have been on a cruise next to a smoker who had no other activity than sitting on the balcony smoking, and we were unable to even open our door in ports without that giant cloud that surrounds all smokers entering our cabin. Fortunately we were able to be moved to a cabin where we could enjoy the fresh Caribbean ocean air.

It will be a huge move forward in society when smoking is limited to locations where only the smoker can suffer for that addiction, and it not be forced on anyone else.

I do not believe having a balcony allows you to engage in any activity that is going to negatively impact another person. And smoking is a voluntary activity that imposes negatively on another traveler.

But I know that due to the sheer number of addicts selfishly looking for their own advantage, the rules will be slow to change, so I just book my balcony, and hope for the best.

I'll go there ............. again. :rolleyes:

The smoker has the right/permission to smoke on 'their' "own (paid for) private area of the ship ... ".

Until that's changed, this argument will go on and on, blah, blah, blah. ;)

I'm not arguing that. They have this right, until it's changed. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, smoking should be restricted in areas where it affects other, unwilling people. So, if their own, paid-for, private area is somehow configured so that their smoke doesn't drift over to their non-smoking neighbors, no problem. As things are now, though, it does affect neighbors. Obviously, not every neighbor is bothered by smoke, but a significant number are.

So, anyway, I was agreeing with someone else that everyone should have a chance to choose whether or not to be exposed to tobacco smoke. So, I don't really have a problem with smoking lounges, as long as there are also non-smoking lounges that are somewhere not-right-next-door to the smoking area. I think everyone should have a choice to avoid smoke, if they want, and that choice shouldn't have to be, "if you don't like it, said another line" or "if you don't like it, book an inside cabin." Just my opinion. :)

Archived