A Question about the most heated subject on CC

TEXASMUNK

Smoking!

So here is the question:

If you are a sincere anti-smoker and you observed someone using one of those new smokeless electronic cigarettes indooor....Note, it releases only water vapor, no chemicals and no nicotine into the air, would you still demand that person not use the devise?

Would you have any compassion for the person attempting to quit smoking?

Please, I AM NOT LOOKING TO START ANOTHER NEVER ENDING WAR OF WORDS!!

Please, if you choose to answer, stay on topic.....

Thanks!

The question was driven by my wife. She works with a team, who have all quit and are using these new devises at their desks and in a conference room....She says the give off nothing! Nada! Zilch! Zero!

That is what drove me to ask here.....Per my wife, if you did not see them taking a puff on the devise, you would never notice anything.

Thanks for raising that point.

Smoking!

So here is the question:

If you are a sincere anti-smoker and you observed someone using one of those new smokeless electronic cigarettes indooor....Note, it releases only water vapor, no chemicals and no nicotine into the air, would you still demand that person not use the devise?

Thanks!

Though you preface it with some incorrect information, my answer is no, I would not mind if someone were using an e-cig.

As for the inaccurate information, the flavorings contain mostly water, but other chemicals as well, which may or may not include nicotine. They do release some chemicals other than water, but not nearly the same as tobacco smoke.

Smoking!

So here is the question:

Thanks!

There was a couple I hung out with some in the Schooner Bar on Freedom. I noticed one night he was smoking one. No smell or anything. I almost didn't even notice it. I think it is perfectly fine and applaud anyone for trying to break the habit.

Hubby and I walked past a man smoking an e-cig on the Prominade of a ship. He was perfectly within his rights where he was located. But we both mentioned the chemical smell around him. It definitely didn't smell like smoke. Actually it was more like bad or stale perfume.

We were both surprised by this because we thought one of the advantages of e-cigarettes was the lack of odor and the so-called harmlessness of the water vapor.

If an e-cig is only water vapor I might not mind, but if I were in a restaurant with someone whose e-cig put out that chemical smell, I would be opposed to it.

thanks, since I am asking, second hand (gee, kinda like smoke LOL), I am not up to speed only relaying what I was told by my wife and those that work with her. Thanks

Part of the problem is that makers of e-cigs have fought hard to avoid regulation, so there's not a whole lot of data about what they put out. But the cartridges generally have some sort of flavoring and some of them have nicotine. And some small percentage of whatever is in them will get out.

I generally suspect that they are pretty harmless, but without readily available data, I don't know for sure.

Smoking!

So here is the question:

Thanks!

That device is fine and does not harm anyone.....I have seen them a couple of times in the Schooner Bar.

Would I have any compassion...........oh yes I do... I being an ex-smoker for the most part of my life.

My question to you E-cigs,,,,,,,,,,,are you doing it because you can't have a real smoke with your drink in the bar or you are really trying to quit smoking so you are doing the E=cigs.

Father....Is it okay if I smoke while I pray........Father answers..... NO

Father.... Is it okay if I pray while I smoke.....Father answers..... Yes Of Course

Did I stay on topic:eek:

I can see it now... Formal night during the captains party and someone is smoking a E-Cig. :mad:

I don't think I have a problem with it, but find it pretty tacky indoor/public areas.

Both my children and their spouses mostly 30 somethings are all on them.

Firstly, they can contain nicotine, and that can be diminished when they are ready. It can contain no nicotine also. They can smell, but usually have pleasant smells like cinnamon, vanilla etc. And they do give off "smoke" in the form of the water vapor not traditional smoke, but you can see it come out of the mouth or nose.

I also, applaud the use of them and it wouldn't bother me a bit, since the nicotine is released mostly for the smoker. Don't think much of it ends up in someone else's lungs.

I think the cruise lines have the problem because there can be nicotine still released, but I think it's probably in such minute concentrations, it's harmless.

O yeah, the person using them never smells like they did when they smoked cigs.......refreshing! And they are working for my kids, none of them have had a real cig in months!

Smoking!

So here is the question:

Please, if you choose to answer, stay on topic.....Thanks!

If it was just water vapor and didn't stink of tobacco, I would not complain. I was once a smoker so I know how difficult it is to quit. Still, I don't want to breathe in air that stinks of smoke.

Smoking!

Thanks!

As if that request would ever work here with any thread about smoking, booze or dress codes......................................................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :)

does not hurt, note, we have almost made it through page one with everyone answering the question and not going off on a tangent!

And, as usual, you find more info here than tons of other places!!!!

As if that request would ever work here with any thread about smoking, booze or dress codes......................................................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :)

Thanks for your helpful attempt to drag the thread off-topic. :D

Wait, there were prior threads about smoking? :confused:

Smoking!

So here is the question:

Thanks!

The above is claimed by the manufacturers. That is part of their sales pitch but it has not been proven.

As a non smoker I applaud people who are trying to quit smoking, however I don't want to smell any smell and ecig creates. There are not enough studies done to prove there is 0 harm to those using or around it. The side effects are probably better then a regular cig but I don't want to be near it.

And as another poster or two stated and I must agree, I'd find it tacky to be using it inside restaurants ect.

Archived