A Question about the most heated subject on CC

TEXASMUNK

Somehave reported smelling odor. If there is an odor, some chemical must be the source?

What, like perfume, you mean ? ;)

Or flowers ? ;)

Or coffee ? ;)

Or do'nuts ? ;)

I read about the 'it's just vapor' and that sounds fine but it is also nicotine.... that's the point of them, isn't it?

You've not read at least two previous posts about nicotine. :rolleyes:

The health issue for passive smokers is the tars & chemicals released by burning tobacco.

Nicotine is not harmful to passive smokers - widely confirmed all over the internet.

JB :)

Or flowers ? ;)

Or coffee ? ;)

Or do'nuts ? ;)

You've not read at least two previous posts about nicotine. :rolleyes:

The health issue for passive smokers is the tars & chemicals released by burning tobacco.

Nicotine is not harmful to passive smokers - widely confirmed all over the internet.

If its on the Internet, it must be true ;-)

I would be HAPPY to see someone smoking a cigarette that does not negatively impact the air I breathe. I would think it very considerate. What's to complain about??

There's not enough evidence to say this vapour is or isn't safe. Until I know either way I'd politely ask them not to "smoke"

If its on the Internet, it must be true ;-)

Only when it's on Wiki ;)

But when every source, every qualified source, says the same thing only a paranoid layman allows prejudice to get in the way of the facts. Non-smokers have nothing to fear from nicotine.

Other elements in e-cigs?

The (qualified) jury is still out.

most lines explicitly state that E cigs are on the banned list.

compassion has nothing to do with it. it's not allowed., so yes i would make staff aware of the issue.

Uh .... I don't think any line has 'explicity BANNED' e-cigs ..... they are not a lethal weapon or a illegal drug! LOL!! No, you can't use them anywhere you can't smoke cigarettes ... but they are hardly 'BANNED'!! LOL!! :)

Any electronic cigarette I have smelled gives off only a very light (quickly evaporating I might add) smell -- like vanilla -- or no odor at all. I recently rode in a car for 5 hours w/ my sister & brother-in-law, who loves them and is a heavy electronic smoker. It was actually a nice smell that only lasted a few seconds.

Relax, and don't worry about it! You probably won't smell them AT ALL. Enjoy your vacation! :)

Or flowers ? ;)

Or coffee ? ;)

Or do'nuts ? ;)

<snip>

You are diverting the conversation from vapor e-cigarettes to other, non-related items. This conversation is not about the things you mention and my comment was about odor emitted in the vapor from the e-cigarette. I have not heard of flowers, coffee or donuts being produced from e-cigarettes. ;)

There's not enough evidence to say this vapour is or isn't safe. Until I know either way I'd politely ask them not to "smoke"

I agree.

Somehave reported smelling odor. If there is an odor, some chemical must be the source?

You are diverting the conversation from vapor e-cigarettes to other, non-related items. This conversation is not about the things you mention and my comment was about odor emitted in the vapor from the e-cigarette. I have not heard of flowers, coffee or donuts being produced from e-cigarettes.

Oh dear, S7S - read your post. :rolleyes:

You made the sweeping assumption that an odour infers chemicals.

So where are the chemicals in flowers, coffee, & do'nuts?

Or don't they have an odour?

It's actually quite difficult to tell the difference between the smell of do'nuts & some e-cigs.

Cos both are flavoured with vanilla. ;)

Wakey-wakey, S7S, and smell the coffee :D

Uh .... I don't think any line has 'explicity BANNED' e-cigs ..... they are not a lethal weapon or a illegal drug! LOL!! No, you can't use them anywhere you can't smoke cigarettes ... but they are hardly 'BANNED'!! LOL!! :)

it's banned in my book. your definition may vary. this is especially true on those lines that ban smoking on balconies. you may get someone deciding that because they are are not a fire hazard or produce obnoxious odors they can get away with bending the rules.

doesn't matter.

most lines explicitly state that E cigs are on the banned list.

compassion has nothing to do with it. it's not allowed., so yes i would make staff aware of the issue.

No. They are not on the banned list. They just have to be smoked in designated smoking areas. My DH goes to the smoking areas to smoke his e-cig, but he does not want to be exposed to second-hand smoke, so he tries to stay on the periphery of the smoking area.

I am very allergic to cigarette smoke... and a multitude of other things! I have been out with friends who used e-cigs and it did not bother me at all. It was kind of nice not having them leave to go smoke several times over the course of the evening!

Like others, I think that they need to be used in socially acceptable places. Not in the office, or restaurants, or seated next to me on a plane. Also, when my friends used them, I didn't notice a smell, but some people have mentioned that they can have a smell. That might be an issue for me, since I am allergic/sensitive to many scents. Still, it's gotta be better than actual cigarette smoke!

You are diverting the conversation from vapor e-cigarettes to other, non-related items. This conversation is not about the things you mention and my comment was about odor emitted in the vapor from the e-cigarette. I have not heard of flowers, coffee or donuts being produced from e-cigarettes. ;)

The ODOR is what someone wants to smoke. There is everything in e cig liquid from flowers to vanilla to pina colada to coffee to anisette and on and on and on (I haven't seen doughnuts yet but that is probably coming). A lot of those "flavors" have NO nicotine in them. They are used because people like the FLAVOR. No different than quite a few of those smoking shisha all over the Middle East-a LOT of it tobacco free, particularly that smoked by women. Cherry, chocolate, vanilla. Walk into a shisa parlor in the Middle East and some of the smells are simply scrumptous. Makes you want something to eat right then and there. The chocolate one they sell in the high dollar mall in Iraq smells just like Godiva chocolate.

For a list of some of the smells from e-cigs, take a look here: More flavors that you can possibly imagine and yes, some of them have "smells".

https://www.cignot.com/category_s/24.htm

Why anyone would protest a nicotine addict who QUIT smoking but wants the FEEL of smoking is beyond me??? I smoked for years. Do I miss the nicotine? Not really-I could use patches, lozenges and all the prescription medicines on the market if that was all I was missing. Did any of those things make me quit?? No way. I MISSED the hand to mouth gratification, the something to do with my hands, particularly when I am on the phone which is about 7-8 hours a day. E cigs sure did it for me. It was either that or keep smoking shisha and DH was afraid we would get busted for "illegal" drugs. LOL

Let me see if I've got this straight...if a person uses a scented e-cig in an 'approved' setting, some of you will still complain because you might get a whiff of it???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heck, if that's true, we'd all better leave our perfume, scented bath soap, scented hair products, etc., at home the next time we cruise, lest we offend someone...:cool:

I'm one who can smell cigarette smoke @ 100 feet, much to my dismay. I have been next to a person smoking e cigs and did not smell a thing. So to me it is a win-win situation.

I'm an ex-smoker (25 years) and think I'm more sensitive than a person who never smoked. I'd never say a word or make a rude gesture to a smoker as I recall what I once thought about it.

I really wish that people who use e cigs to quit have success, it's so great to not have that monkey on your back:)

I'm one who can smell cigarette smoke @ 100 feet, much to my dismay. I have been next to a person smoking e cigs and did not smell a thing. So to me it is a win-win situation.

I'm an ex-smoker (25 years) and think I'm more sensitive than a person who never smoked. I'd never say a word or make a rude gesture to a smoker as I recall what I once thought about it.

I really wish that people who use e cigs to quit have success, it's so great to not have that monkey on your back:)

Thank you. I am sure that my DH would still have been smoking up to 50 cigarettes a day, were it not for e-cigs. Nothing else he tried helped hkm at all.

I think that Greatam has a point: a lot of it is the hand-mouth thing. DH was always "lost" when he tried quitting by other means, as he never knew what to do with his hands. I offered to buy him a dummy (comforter?) :eek:, but somehow he wasn't interested!

FYI, the e-cigs are not allowed on Celebrity ships. I was surprised when I read that in the daily newsletter.

Well, that's odd. because I just read on Celebrity's site that the smoking policy "also applies to smoking-like devices, such as electronic cigarettes."

If you can find me something direct from Celebrity's site that says e-cigs are banned, please give us a reference.

Oh dear, S7S - read your post. :rolleyes:

You made the sweeping assumption that an odour infers chemicals.

So where are the chemicals in flowers, coffee, & do'nuts?

Or don't they have an odour?

It's actually quite difficult to tell the difference between the smell of do'nuts & some e-cigs.

Cos both are flavoured with vanilla. ;)

Wakey-wakey, S7S, and smell the coffee :D

If it is not chemicals in the vapor from e-cigarettes, what is it that creates the odor about which we are commenting?

There is an odor and something is creating it. I am not convinced it is 'only' vanilla. Vanilla is a very distinct scent and that is not the only scent that is emitted.

Let me see if I've got this straight...if a person uses a scented e-cig in an 'approved' setting, some of you will still complain because you might get a whiff of it???:rolleyes:

Heck, if that's true, we'd all better leave our perfume, scented bath soap, scented hair products, etc., at home the next time we cruise, lest we offend someone...:cool:

There are many unscented products on the market. Those are my preference as I don't care for the scents and do not want to take a chance on offending others who do not want to be near scented products.

I am using the e-cigs to quit smoking. And as other posters have said, it's the hand to mouth gratification and the habits associated with lighting up that are the hardest part to quit.

I like that I can "smoke" in my office at work, in a rental car, in a hotel room (or a cruise cabin), or at my sister's house while dog sitting. No one will ever know if they don't actually see me doing it. However, I would never "smoke" in my sister's house while sitting there with her and her family. The same applies to my upcoming cruise. I will keep my e-cig use private. Or I will head to a smoking area.

I don't believe people should be able to use e-cigs in food venues like the MDR or WJ just for the confusion factor, but I would have no problem with people using them outside or in the lounges and clubs.

Most e-cig users are well-practiced in the art of stealth vaping - we've been doing it for years and very few people were any the wiser ;)

The latest research studies are equivocal on what the vapour does to the user, but they all agree on one big issue - second-hand influence on others is no greater than for other 'irritants' such as perfume, deodorant, etc. so until they are banned as well it is now a non-argument.

I agree that vaping in a dining room is bad form but as soon as they are medicalised (which will happen in the UK by 2016 for example) someone could argue that they need to use it anywhere and the companies won't be able to do a thing about it - at least not without some really good lawyers!

If it is not chemicals in the vapor from e-cigarettes, what is it that creates the odor about which we are commenting?

There is an odor and something is creating it. I am not convinced it is 'only' vanilla. Vanilla is a very distinct scent and that is not the only scent that is emitted.

Greatam has made the point that various flavours can be used in e-cigarettes, vanilla is just one of them.

There are also e-cigs which are not flavoured - other (non-smokers) have pointed out that they can't smell them.

There are also chemicals, including fatal gases, which give off no odour.

And chemicals which have a smell but pose zero health risk.

So whether you can whiff an odour from an e-cig is irrelevant to the discussion, or to the health risk.

I empathise with those who use e-cigs to wean themselves off the weed. It must be dis-heartening for them that e-cigs are so sceptically-viewed by a vociferous minority.

Whilst the scientific jury may be out, clearly the risk to both smoker & passive-smoker is either zero risk or low-risk - very very different to smoking - so why such a negative response from some people. :confused:

Mebbe the e-cig marketing folk missed a trick.

It's not a cigarette & it's not smoked.

If they'd realised that the things would be so popular amongst those who want to give up but so criticised by control-freaks, perhaps they'd have used a different name :rolleyes:

A dummy cigarette.

Archived