Transferring from docks in Venice

sooboo

Hi I am cruising to Venice with Celebrity next month. Just wondering if they offer a free transfer into Venice. I'm not looking to use their tours but will book my own. We are in town from 2pm until 2pm the following day. My husband has some walking issues following a stroke so can't walk too far without lots of stops.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi I am cruising to Venice with Celebrity next month. Just wondering if they offer a free transfer into Venice. I'm not looking to use their tours but will book my own. We are in town from 2pm until 2pm the following day. My husband has some walking issues following a stroke so can't walk too far without lots of stops.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

They do a shuttle to St Mark's Square, but you have to pay, and once you're there you would be a bit stuck if walking is a problem. I think you would be better off buying 24 hour vaporetto passes.

They do a shuttle to St Mark's Square, but you have to pay, and once you're there you would be a bit stuck if walking is a problem. I think you would be better off buying 24 hour vaporetto passes.

The problem with that might be getting to the vaporetto stop. Isn't the nearest one at Piazzale Roma? You might have to take a taxi there then buy the 24 hour vaporetto tickets. Alternatively, the ship shuttle to St Marks then the vaporetto tickets. Not cheap, but that's what I'd do in your position

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There's a people mover from the dock to the Piazza Roma.

It depends how often you are thinking of going in to Venice, just the once and I would use the ship organised transport from the dock, more than once people mover then 24 hour vaporetto pass.

Depending on where the ship docks, it can be a good walk to the People Mover from the ship unless the shuttle is running. Last month the shuttles were not running when we exited the People Mover and the walk to the ship with luggage was a LONG one in the hot sun.

Venice requires a lot of walking IMHO. There is a Vaporetto station very close to Piazzale Roma. The shuttle to St. Mark's seems like the best plan IMHO.

I think the transfer from the ship sounds best even though there is a charge, any ideas as to how long it takes? We are taking a boat from St Marks Sq so need to get there anyway. We will probably go back in the following morning just for a stroll. Out of interest what is the 24 hours ticket you all mention?

Thanks

It's actually a private tour which I have booked on the Internet with SmartCruiseTours. Celebrity are telling me they come in very close to the city and getting to St Marks Square will be easy...!

Easy in Venice is a relative term.

Venice is simply not a breeze to navigate -- many bridges, many dead end lanes, only three bridges across the Grand Canal.

Since you have a private tour booked, perhaps the operator of that tour who is presumably a local, can give you the best advice for getting to and from your meeting point.

well it sounds like the best option is to purchase the X option that takes you directly to St. Marks - that will be easy, but not free. I think the other option of making it there on your own may be difficult. esp. if the shop is a bit of a walk to the people mover. You would need to get to the people mover, then to P. Roma and then to St. Marks by vaporetto which will be an interesting and lovely ride but probably on a pretty crowded, not sure everybody sits, small boat with climbing in and out while bobbing in the water.

To the OP

Was there last month.

In he first picture you can see the beginning of the at least 200 yard line up for the ship shuttle. The stop is near the front of the "other" ship's bow to the left of the shot.

(BTW, the walk to the ship shuttle is maybe 300 yards shorter than the distance to the people mover which is right at the pier. You can see the monorail track in picture two which was taken at the same spot as picture one... but looking the opposite direction)

2rqdlyp.jpg

sgn71t.jpg

nwzxih.jpg

2vba9gl.jpg

To the OP

Was there last month.

2rqdlyp.jpg

sgn71t.jpg

nwzxih.jpg

2vba9gl.jpg

Hey, ASixth! Terrific pix (as usual). :cool:

Not to go OT here, but have you checked out LoisR's recent thread ("Century, let's try this again") on the newly added Century itineraries? Looks like this might turn out to be that "unofficial" members cruise that we were all talking about, last year. Don't know if that "loyalty rate" is still available -- but, you won't find it anywhere on the X website. You (or your TA) would need to call the Captains' Club and specifically request it. It's gonna be a great cruise!

Hey, ASixth! Terrific pix (as usual). :cool:

Not to go OT here, but have you checked out LoisR's recent thread ("Century, let's try this again") on the newly added Century itineraries? Looks like this might turn out to be that "unofficial" members cruise that we were all talking about, last year. Don't know if that "loyalty rate" is still available -- but, you won't find it anywhere on the X website. You (or your TA) would need to call the Captains' Club and specifically request it. It's gonna be a great cruise!

I saw that, very interesting itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Gustavia, St. Barts; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

or

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But the two cruises are Feb 15 and 23 when I am working at the College... so I can't go.... hope they'll offer it again when schools out...

I saw that, very interesting itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Gustavia, St. Barts; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

or

Fort Lauderdale, Florida; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

But the two cruises are Feb 15 and 23 when I am working at the College... so I can't go.... hope they'll offer it again when schools out...

Oh, that's too bad! The Feb 15th cruise is shaping up to be a real CC "who's who" -- you will be missed! :(

Archived