Need help w/clothing for Med mid October

llarsen

Hello,

We will be on the Marina Oct 9-19th for our first cruise to the Med. Pre-stay Barcelona on the 6th.

We are visiting:

Oct 9- 13 Marseille, St Tropez, Cannes, Monte Carlo (our plans include side trips to Aix, St Paul de Vence, Cap Ferrat)

Oct 13- 19 La Spezia, Livorno, Amalfi, and Sorrento (plans include side trip to Cinque Terre, Florence, Ravello, Capri)

All our other cruises have been to warm climates like Caribbean and South Pacific. I'm not sure what to wear during the day in these ports. I planned on sleeveless tops with long skirt or crop capris and a sweater if needed, but will it be warm enough for sleeveless tops? (Covering shoulders is not a concern)

My concern is the weather, will it be gloomy and cool or warm and sunny at that time of year?

We live in Southern California and last year it was still 100 degrees here at that time of year.

Thanks!

wripro is correct, use three colors (I use black,white and black) and bring all kinds of layers..I shop at Chicos and Coldwater Creek and am always well dressed and comfortable..I was on a cruise in South America where people heard the word South and brought shorts..they neglected to see it was the land of the Penguins..LOL

Jancruz1

Oh my gosh, that is so funny! I admit I might have brought shorts too!

Thanks for your replies. I have a couple pairs of white and black capris, but was wondering if white is okay at that time of year? Here in CA I wear white until November.

I know I went way overboard on the "vacation" tops. I'm just used to warm weather vacations. I'm hoping it will be in the high 70's, not sure if that's a reality though.

We did the NY to Southampton Marina cruise in late May/June and I could not believe the people who only brought sandals, shorts, and other summer clothes! The ship and every store onshore sold lots of fleece and sweatshirts. Lots of rainy and 50 degree days - what were they thinking??? Didn't they do any research? It was ridiculous, I had no sympathy. Layers are good as was said above, you could have anything. My issue with white is not what month it is, but the fact that it gets dirty easily. I usually stick to black or tan pants and aqua or white tops.

Your packing list seems good. We were in Barcelona around that time of year & it was 65-75 and rainy, I also packed a 3/4 length nylon raincoat that folds into a pouch. A cotton scarf was also handy for the breezy HoHo bus rides. The weather is unpredictable & chances are it will get warmer as you cruise along the coast (your sleevless/vacation tops!) BTW great itineray, join your RollCall and research similar itineraries for info. Book your tours EARLY & sharing excursions with your fellow cruisers will be far less expensive than ship tours.

BonVoyage.

I have sailed to these places in November and it has still been T-shirt weather BUT, then I am from the Uk so it probably just seemed warm to me whereas you might feel colder. You will need rain gear just in case, but I love this time of year in the Med since the crowds have mostly gone and it can still be warm and sunny. Don't forget to bring something to cover your shoulders in case you want to visit any churches such as the Duomo in Florence.

I have sailed to these places in November and it has still been T-shirt weather BUT, then I am from the Uk so it probably just seemed warm to me whereas you might feel colder. You will need rain gear just in case, but I love this time of year in the Med since the crowds have mostly gone and it can still be warm and sunny. Don't forget to bring something to cover your shoulders in case you want to visit any churches such as the Duomo in Florence.

Hi Sharon

How about shorts in ports such as Cannes, St. Tropez, Provence, Monaco?

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Layering will be good, that way I can still use my sleeveless tops under a jacket if needed. (Of course I'm hoping not to need the jacket, or raincoat!)

Thanks!

Archived