GOS Owners Suite vs Aft Corner JS Jan 2014

The wife and I are sailing on a 10 winter cruise out of Baltimore in January 2014. We've done this before and have always stayed in an aft JS which seems to block most of the winter breezes on the balcony while underway. This time around I have been thinking of moving forward to an Owners Suite. We like to spend a lot of time on the balcony and having sailed winter cruises before I know the aft JS blocks a lot of the cold breezes; not sure what to expect forward. Also, is a price difference of $3,000 worth it?

The front of the ship may deflect some of the wind that far forward but the side location would still be subjected to some wind and of course whatever weather is at hand. Forward you will also feel the motion of the sea the most if that is a consideration. (Odd as this ship class layout has the highest end suites farthest forward where most others tend to be more mid-ship).

Your experience with the aft JS will tell about that location. The colder weather would likely only have an impact the first night and first full sea day out and last full sea and night back, so on a 10 night that leaves most of the days in potentially good weather.

As to the cost difference, only you can answer that. But certainly there is a significant difference between the two staterooms with the additional benefit of the Concierge Lounge and services with the OS.

We did a western out of Tampa several years ago in a Aft JS on GOS. On the last sea day we were lounging on the balcony and were actually quite warm. (Went inside a few times to cool off.) At lunch time we went up to the Windjammer for lunch and almost froze. The ship was sailing into a cold front and it was in the low 60's or upper 50's on deck. I'd stay in an Aft JS and at least have the sun beating down on me the way back to port trapping the heat between the dividers.:D

The wife and I are sailing on a 10 winter cruise out of Baltimore in January 2014. We've done this before and have always stayed in an aft JS which seems to block most of the winter breezes on the balcony while underway. This time around I have been thinking of moving forward to an Owners Suite. We like to spend a lot of time on the balcony and having sailed winter cruises before I know the aft JS blocks a lot of the cold breezes; not sure what to expect forward. Also, is a price difference of $3,000 worth it?

I love them both and just got back from an aft corner JS that was a magnificent, relaxing experience. The size and price for the room are your personal choice, but you did ask for personal input here. I feel nothing beats that Owner's Suite for the suite experience. There is so much room and choice and comfort. There is quite a difference in the floor space and furniture choice from the JS to the OS. I did an OS last summer for the first time and wow, I loved it. I had done GS before, but never OS. It was luxurious and I noted much more individualized care from everyone - very well-treated. Another thing that I believe is true: If you enjoy eating on the balcony, the OS gets to order from the full main dining room menu as room service - the JS we just had only allowed us to order from the regular ship-wide room service menu. We had two amaxing dining room quality meals on our balcony when in the Owner's Suite. Good luck choosing. I will share some OS pics below - these are from Freedom OS.

43099534_Aroom4.jpg.c64eef227aef52c856d8b45a9b48842a.jpg

1378550790_Aroom1.jpg.d4dc9868cc744135495c1159ecb966e0.jpg

1983654227_Aroom5.jpg.ebcc696ae6f5f2e83df52f0498851a67.jpg

1698253778_Aroom7.jpg.453142834559569d8f75d7cb7d09bd25.jpg

1270618753_Amyfavoriteplace.jpg.f81fde9592356046d3aedfed7da90e09.jpg

I love them both and just got back from an aft corner JS that was a magnificent, relaxing experience. The size and price for the room are your personal choice, but you did ask for personal input here. I feel nothing beats that Owner's Suite for the suite experience. There is so much room and choice and comfort. There is quite a difference in the floor space and furniture choice from the JS to the OS. I did an OS last summer for the first time and wow, I loved it. I had done GS before, but never OS. It was luxurious and I noted much more individualized care from everyone - very well-treated. Another thing that I believe is true: If you enjoy eating on the balcony, the OS gets to order from the full main dining room menu as room service - the JS we just had only allowed us to order from the regular ship-wide room service menu. We had two amaxing dining room quality meals on our balcony when in the Owner's Suite. Good luck choosing. I will share some OS pics below - these are from Freedom OS.

Now, to compare, here are some pics from the recent aft corner JS on Enchantment OS.

495181110_1balconyviewsizeR_001.jpg.d0c0a57e447bbdd06b56b6de40444557.jpg

714688022_1balconyviewtoleft.jpg.e7141ccd30c8f2169f15823949c1f639.jpg

1439301079_juniorsuite7666Enchantment.jpg.49c40258089f846e665930308f7e6029.jpg

1251988929_1mirrorreflectedbalconyview.jpg.b076a659f99202774366c447dc2f6884.jpg

Wow, thanks for posting the pics. My friend and I will be staying in room 1648 OS. It's a first time cruise for both of us and we have heard such great things about everything. I can't wait to go. :)

Wow, thanks for posting the pics. My friend and I will be staying in room 1648 OS. It's a first time cruise for both of us and we have heard such great things about everything. I can't wait to go. :)

You made an AMAZING choice for a suite. You did well! For a first cruise, you will now be spoiled for a room in the future. lol You will love the OS. I want one of those every time now! Tell me about it when you get back.

I have personally never stayed in a cabin in the forward section of a ship but a friend did and said that it was really windy on that balcony. So I think for a cruise during winter months I would choose the corner aft on Grandeur. We have stayed in one of those corner rooms several times and love it.

I tend to get seasick so that's another reason for me to avoid rooms forward in the ship.

You made an AMAZING choice for a suite. You did well! For a first cruise, you will now be spoiled for a room in the future. lol You will love the OS. I want one of those every time now! Tell me about it when you get back.

Thanks again. Can you tell me if you get any sun on the balcony. Hoping to have sun. I'll do my best with a review when I return. Hoping to take lots of pictures.

Thanks again. Can you tell me if you get any sun on the balcony. Hoping to have sun. I'll do my best with a review when I return. Hoping to take lots of pictures.

It does depend on which ship possibly, but every time I have done an aft on RCCL...three times now...it had a portion covered and a larger portion uncovered - so plenty of sun on the aft balcony. The ones along the side are normally all covered with a roof, so you get sun as it is at an angle to your balcony. Tell us what you book!

• 5 months later...