if you send your clothes to the laundry on HAL, you should read this

Ship's Wake

The post referenced by the OP is great and very informative. We do a lot of cruising and get free laundry on several lines (including HA) because of our status....but do not generally use the laundry on our shorter cruises (up to about 10 days). But on long cruises (our longest is 62 days) we have little choice but to use the laundry and have had pretty good results on HA. We do not send really good clothes out for cleaning, although when we are on Princess we do take advantage of the free dry cleaning offered to Elites. And by the way, they do a great job.

Hank

If you care to know more about this topic, try reading the referenced thread in the first post.

I read that thread and as I said, most respondents disagreed with that OP.

There is no way of knowing whether that OP was factual about machines used for passenger clothing, especially since so many people did not experience poor results.

Edited by NMLady

We send out everything but my delicates. The only problem I ever had was a blouse that came back with a broken button. It had an extra on the inside front placket and when I showed the front desk they sent it off to have the button replaced. A few days later I sent in an identical blouse ( different color) and it came back with one broken button. I have to assume it was inferior buttons and not the laundry.

We send out everything but my delicates. The only problem I ever had was a blouse that came back with a broken button. It had an extra on the inside front placket and when I showed the front desk they sent it off to have the button replaced. A few days later I sent in an identical blouse ( different color) and it came back with one broken button. I have to assume it was inferior buttons and not the laundry.

I would have made the same assumption. I have no complaints with the HAL laundry and dry cleaning services.:)

The comment by chengkp75 that there generally are smaller machines for guests amd officers laundry and crew uniforms is the first time I have read that and most encouraging that they are set for warm or cold wash. I would assume warm dry and not hot.

I am picky about how my shirts are done and always worry when I send them out. I have not had any issues with shirts, but I did have a pair of pants shrink on one cruise. (And, no it wasn't because I hit the midnight buffet too often! LOL)

The comment by chengkp75 that there generally are smaller machines for guests amd officers laundry and crew uniforms is the first time I have read that and most encouraging that they are set for warm or cold wash. I would assume warm dry and not hot.

I am picky about how my shirts are done and always worry when I send them out. I have not had any issues with shirts, but I did have a pair of pants shrink on one cruise. (And, no it wasn't because I hit the midnight buffet too often! LOL)

As I said, the laundry crew are not the most careful folks around, and I really think the workers in the "uniform" laundry work harder than the guys and gals hukking the huge bundles of sheets around in the main laundry. The workers in the uniform laundry will have the washing machines with many small loads and many small items, the dryers, the dry cleaners, and the various pressing and steaming machines, the variety of which still amazes me, even after I've figured out how they broke it, and how to fix it.

Most of the uniforms are perma press, so warm dryers are the norm, but they normally are set for less dry, since most everything is pressed afterwards.

I have not had a problem with the laundry, even with delicates. Since the iron is not my favorite small appliance, many of our clothes look far better on HAL than they do at home.

Ours do too..I rarely iron & normally don't iron DH's everyday wash & wear shirts except for his long sleeve dress white shirts..

DH's dockers, jeans, all long pants & my jeans are sent out to the dry cleaners at home..When we are on HAL to their laundry service, as both HAL & our Dry cleaners do a much better job than I do..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

• 6 months later...

We send out both laundry and dry cleaning - every day on every cruise - without any incidents. The worst thing that ever happened was that my tuxedo pants went missing and I was late for dinner one formal night. The pants came back, but I missed the appetizer course.

About the only concession we make is to put velcro button covers or foil ones over delicate or decorative buttons.

I would not hesitate to send my clothes out on the ship.

We have sent laundry on HAL many times, including "unmentionables". Never a problem. I just have to remember to peel off that pesky sticker they put on everything.

Ah... The old stiff, super stick plastic laundry markers. I remember them well. They were tough to remove and you'd find them months later when your clothes were poking you.

The ones they started using in the late 2000s are much easier to remove. It's always funny to find one of the little "reminders" long after you've cruised. Then you have to think back to which sailing you wore that particular garment on. :what:

Hello, what is the cost of the unlimited laundry service and how/where do you sign up for this? on the ship?

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

I answered your post yesterday but mine was one of them that went into cyberspace.. LOL As someone mentioned it's $7-$9 per day & will be a couple of dollars more if you are cruising in Europe..

In any event just wanted to mention that you might find the $20 per bag to be a better deal for you.. When we were on our 68 day cruise to Antarctica last January, we sent out bags of clothes to be washed.. I would take 3 or four shirts, cotton undies, or shorts & roll them very tightly together.. Then DH would stuff them in the bag for me.. He was a fantastic stuffer as he has long arms! :D You would be amazed how much you can get into those small blue bags.. He stuffed the corners with socks or light weight things.. Most of DH's long pants & sweaters were washable, & went into the bags..We could hardly lift the bags up & left them on our bed.. Everything, including my nightgowns, came back beautifully pressed & hung or folded.. I asked our Stewards to give us an extra bag in case we decided to send out two bags..

We sent DH's Tux & suit out several times to be cleaned, but I normally did not send out my formal wear.. Took a pair of formal slacks & two formal skirts & paired them with enough formal tops for the entire cruise.. Was able to rinse out chiffon blouses & some delicates myself.. Sent out one formal top & jeans for cleaning...I waited until we got home to take other tops & skirts to my special cleaners..

Hope this helps..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499