Upgrade pickle

headhunterke

Hi folks

I am about to book a cruise in the Carib. for next February. There's still some nice prices available, so I couldn't resist. However, I can not decide what to do. Until now, I've always booked seaview cabins, thus saving some money. (can't throw money thru windows as a young 20'er). However, I doubt to book a balcony now which is pretty expensive as a solo traveller.

Now, here's my issue. Does HAL do upgrades at the port? Because I am willing to take the risk to save some money...

Thanks in advance.

I think at one time they might have but if they do now you'd probably be charged a pretty penny. I'd watch prices leading up to the cruise and see if you can upsell that way. Prices stayed pretty high this past February.

My TA said that inside cabins went for 4-5k last winter for Caribean HAL cruises. So lock in what u got and be happy w it but don't count on it. Which Feb cruise are u on ? We're on feb 9 b2b

Thank you CC fam!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Anytime. I meant don't count on the upgrade. One way folks have done it here is to book :

1- a guarantee

2- specific cabin but check the box for upgrade. People here ran the whole gamut with guarantee cabins. You might get lucky especially if you don't have requirements on your reservations.

What made u interested in HAL at your age ? Just curious

Thank you CC fam!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I get that question a lot.

And I can totally understand it. First time I cruised was together with some co-workers. We all have a very stressful job and are in constant crowds, as customer service agents and supervisors at the airport. So we wanted to cruise, but didn't want to stand the huge floating cities at sea. Another co-worker who used to be a TA for HAL, advised us the line, and we were sold the second we stepped on board. Sufficient people on board to be cosy but yet not too crowded. I don't think I'll be changing cruise lines very quickly...

Be very careful accepting an upgrade, quite often you will be upgraded to a "problem" cabin in a higher grade. I will never again book a guaranteed cabin or accept an upgrade. In future I would only book a cabin that has another cabin above and below it.

Be very careful accepting an upgrade, quite often you will be upgraded to a "problem" cabin in a higher grade. I will never again book a guaranteed cabin or accept an upgrade. In future I would only book a cabin that has another cabin above and below it.

I think it depends on how picky you are. I have been on a lot of cruises and most of them have been guarantees. I've been happy with most of my assignments but I generally don't care where I am on the ship. To say that guarantees are assigned problem cabins is a bit of a stretch.

Solo cruiser -- better check what HAL is going to charge you for any cruise.

HAL on many cruises tends to charger higher prices for people wanting a cabin to themselves.

Let us know what you decide to do.

That's true. Balconies will always be 200 percent single supp.

Don't count on being able to upgrade at the pier. Almost all HAL Caribbean cruises go out full and it is not often you can get a last minute upgrade at thepier. I have read that when there is a cabin and someone asks to buy the upgrade, they are charged the full price of the cabin. No discount.

Archived