How many pants for my boys?

Mowiteem

7 night cruise on RCCL Grandeur we are planning to go to only casual dinners, mostly because I am running out of room in the suitcases and I can't afford to buy formalwear for my boys. Doubt they would appreciate a formal setting at their ages...so, how many pairs of pants should I pack. My cheepo husband thinks he and the boys can get away with only one pair of pants each. I think at least three. What about shorts. I am packing 5 each.

Vicki....

Proud to be a Jersey Girl

My DS LOVES to wear his suit. OMG. So he wore that for the two formal nights on our 7 night cruise. Otherwise, I packed 2 pairs of pants for my DS, who was 11 years old when we cruised. One tan. One navy. Tell you the truth...I think he could have gotten away with one pair (especially since he had his suit pants for a back up). He didn't wear them at any other time except to eat in the MDR and maybe for a bit after dinner (watching a show). If we were doing anything more active, we would all change after dinner.

My DH likes to dress up, so he also brought his suit for the two formal nights. Otherwise, I think he also only had 2 pairs of pants.

If we weren't going to participate in formal nights, I think my men could get by with two pairs each, no problem.

For shorts. That's what they wore every day. And the functionality of the shorts was important. In addition to swim shorts, they brought dressier shorts (Polo shirt worthy), casual shorts, sport shorts. I can't remember how many pairs. But 5 sounds like a decent number.

I asked this in the kids section but not getting a response yet. Would nice jeans (dark blue, no holes, clean) be acceptable for my boys. Their ages are 14 and 7. I see they can't wear shorts to dinner so I am guessing flip flops are out of the question as well.

Vicki....

I asked this in the kids section but not getting a response yet. Would nice jeans (dark blue, no holes, clean) be acceptable for my boys. Their ages are 14 and 7. I see they can't wear shorts to dinner so I am guessing flip flops are out of the question as well.

Vicki....

I am not familiar with all the cruise line rules regarding the MDR, but it was my experience to see several "rule breakers" in the MDR when we cruised. I guess the enforcement of the rules may vary. However, that said, technically, no. Jeans, shorts, and flip flops are not proper MDR attire.

The fact is that if you are cruising in warmer weather, you don't really want jeans anyway. They won't wear as nicely for rewearing either because the nature of the material will stretch. Even if they are nice jeans to start, they will start to have bags at the knees, etc. Also, jeans are heavy. If you are trying to pack light, then jeans don't fit that plan.

After our first family cruise, one thing that I made a mental note for a future cruise was convertible pants. By and large, convertible pants are usually pretty campy, BUT...it is my opinion that if you could get a pair without the big cargo pockets, they would pass muster, so to speak in the MDR. Then, you wouldn't have to deal with changing after dinner, or after breakfast! (if you wanted to breakfast in the MDR), because you could convert the pants to shorts. Something like this:

Boys:

http://www.zappos.com/marmot-kids-boys-cruz-convertible-pant-little-kids-big-kids-desert-khaki?zfcTest=fcl%3A3

Men:

http://www.zappos.com/marmot-cruz-convertible-pant-sandstorm?zfcTest=fcl%3A3

For shoes...My DS wore classic Adidas. He even wore them with his suit. Especially for a young man, I thought that going for this look made sense for not only the MDR rules but also the comfort of my DS11:

http://www.zappos.com/adidas-originals-dragon-black-white-blast-purple?zfcTest=fcl%3A3

His tan pants were a dark tan, so it still looked fine.

No problem. Don't stress. Keep positive. Your boys will pick up on your attitude about the whole thing. It's not going to be a hassle. I totally understand how nerve wracking the whole dress your men can be because I do the same thing.

I could be wrong, but I do believe that on RCCL, jeans are acceptable in the MDR at dinner. I understand some people prefer to be dressier, but I do not think they are prohibited.

In addition, shorts can be worn in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. No swimsuits, etc., but regular shorts, yes.

mostly because I am running out of room in the suitcases

you are probably packing way too much clothes-- half of that will probably never be worn.,

Nothing wrong with wearing dinner clothes and changing back to day clothes after dinner. bathing suits will be the norm for day time.

dont discount the formal nights-- its not as fancy as a lot of people portray it. but a different dress code should be in place.

its a truly amazing learning experience for kids. I know mine loved the main dining room.

you are probably packing way too much clothes-- half of that will probably never be worn.,

Nothing wrong with wearing dinner clothes and changing back to day clothes after dinner. bathing suits will be the norm for day time.

dont discount the formal nights-- its not as fancy as a lot of people portray it. but a different dress code should be in place.

its a truly amazing learning experience for kids. I know mine loved the main dining room.

I agree about the boys (children) going to formal night. It's a good chance for them to learn what is expected of them in different circumstances. Aside from the fact they likely will feel very grown up, it's a shame for them to not put on their 'party manners'. IMO

If they aren't exposed, how can we expect them to know how to behave?

some of the things i enforced with out first cruise was'we will eat dinner as a family... and we try a new food each night. so we decide what we wanted to try and order one and take a taste and passed it around. found many foods that was amazing.. and some not so good... made nice cruise conversations.. we do this now with my 7 year old grand daugher. she is heading out on number 3 next month ..last cruise we'dicovered'the fig and cinnamon cake wasnt figgy at all and was really good

Archived