Nautica 15 May 2013 Problems

ebim

Thank you for educating future travelers on this experience.

I too am following this because we have our second cruise booked with Oceania, coming up very soon. Our first cruise was an excellent experience in every way. I understand that cruises and travels come with some risk, some that are unexpected. However, I would expect to be treated with utmost respect. Communication during a situation might not be easy to distribute, but I do not understand the lack of communication long after the event.

I love Oceania and have in the past sailed only with this line. I agree cruises come with risks and the eventual cancelling/moving ports if necessary. No problem. However, what really irks me is not getting a straight answer.

On our April 2013 Tahitian Breeze cruise the port of Nuku Oa was cancelled prior to sailing. The reason given by Oceania was "lack of infrastructure". While on board, the Oceania rep was booking future cruises. There in the agenda for 2014 was Nuku Oa. When I got home I emailed Oceania to confirm if this port was really scheduled or just on the literature since it was pre-printed. I was told that the port was on the agenda. The infrastructure on Nuku Oa was - and is - the same in 2013 and 2014. Nothing has changed nor will it. This is a small island and not about to build roads, ports, etc. to accommodate a cruise line in one year. The islanders are not about to import a fleet of SUV's for Oceania's excursions. Oceania knew prior to our cruise the nature of the "infrastructure" on this island. So my question is why was the port cancelled for our cruise and still scheduled for 2014? Never got a straight answer and never will. This is what bothers me.

If the weather acts up I can see why tenders might be cancelled… but I doubt a ship would have to leave Monte Carlo and go to Genoa because of the weather.

I have some thoughts.

Monte Carlo was their last stop…they were supposed to dock there and instead they anchored. Perhaps the port authority told them they might have docking space later that day or the next morning and then changed their minds.

You can’t disembark (people plus luggage) if you are anchored so that’s why they would have to find another port where they could dock.

Interesting about Monte Carlo…on our recent Riviera cruise we were supposed dock there (June 11) and we ended up anchored.

It is NOT about who would give you the most back!!! It is about getting what you paid for and if you don't get what you paid for, being made whole!!!

We don't want something for nothing, we want what we paid for and if there are issues, the company needs to own up to it and be honest in their dealings with those who have been wronged.

+1

..and generally speaking, the better the reputation of the company/hotel (usually with matching higher prices), the more likely you will be made whole.

I feel extremely sorry for those people that were on this cruise and left stranded. After reading about it I do not think that the cruise line have acted in the best interest of all those on board. I agree that if I had paid the cost to go with this cruise line I would expect the to work harder and be more supportive when something went wrong. I think that they have failed to do their best and I am quite surprised because I expected more of them in this situation.

A comparison to look at is the current situation that Celebrity faced with their 9th August sailing on the Millennium - much better approach. The customer and potential future customers at the centre of their concern and approach.

I followed this thread from another of Queen Adelaide's posts. Could someone lay out a timeline as to what happened. Similar to

29-May - 0800 - Ship arrives in MC

29-May - 0800 - Tenders to shore begins

29-May - 1730 - Return tenders to port are cancelled

29-May - 1800 - Passengers are sent to terminal X

29-May - 1830 - Ship departs MC waters bound for Genoa

29-May - 1900 - Passengers are loaded on charter buses bound for Genoa

30-May - 0100 - Stranded passengers arrive at port in Genoa

30-May - 0800 - Ship arrives in Genoa

30-May - 0830 - "Stranded" passengers allowed back on ship

The story seems vague. QA keeps mentioning missing two days. Based on what I am reading the ship was in MC and passengers got off in MC and explored the city, while in port the ship encountered weather problems. Captain decided to move ship to Genoa for the last evening. You were separated from the ship for less than 8 hours, while disappointing I am not sure I understand what you would like in the form of compensation.

Now I'm confused. I thought they ended up in Villefranche instead of Monaco on May 29th?

Since there is some confusion, I think I understand the timeline.

The Nautica was supposed to dock at Monte Carlo on 5/29, stay overnight and the passengers were to disembark the next morning.

They arrived at Monte Carlo on 5/29…there was no place for them to dock so they anchored nearby at Villefranche. (not far, close to Nice)

Tenders took passengers ashore including OP.

When OP was ready to tender back to the ship, she found the tenders cancelled. Many passengers were there waiting there with her.

The passengers were taken by bus from Villefranche to Monte Carlo where ship was supposed to “arrive” (OP used that word…I assume dock since they were disembarking the next morning.)

This never happened, they all waited in Monte Carlo and the ship went from Villefranche to Genoa.

Eventually Oceania provided busses so all the passengers were taken from Monte Carlo to Genoa.

As I said earlier, it sounds like the port authority in Monte Carlo was the underlying cause of the problems. The port officials there also cancelled our docking a few weeks later on the Riviera. (June 11). Since it wasn’t our last stop it wasn’t an issue.

Since there is some confusion, I think I understand the timeline.

The Nautica was supposed to dock at Monte Carlo on 5/29, stay overnight and the passengers were to disembark the next morning.

They arrived at Monte Carlo on 5/29…there was no place for them to dock so they anchored nearby at Villefranche. (not far, close to Nice)

Tenders took passengers ashore including OP.

When OP was ready to tender back to the ship, she found the tenders cancelled. Many passengers were there waiting there with her.

The passengers were taken by bus from Villefranche to Monte Carlo where ship was supposed to “arrive” (OP used that word…I assume dock since they were disembarking the next morning.)

This never happened, they all waited in Monte Carlo and the ship went from Villefranche to Genoa.

Eventually Oceania provided busses so all the passengers were taken from Monte Carlo to Genoa.

As I said earlier, it sounds like the port authority in Monte Carlo was the underlying cause of the problems. The port officials there also cancelled our docking a few weeks later on the Riviera. (June 11). Since it wasn’t our last stop it wasn’t an issue.

I think this is a very likely scenario.

What I would like to know - if this is indeed is the case - is how does MC get away with this practice?

Cruise lines (and their ships) schedule cruise itineraries and ports of call well in advance and thus "reserve" a docking space in ports that have docks. It would be total chaos in cruising if all ports acted in this way and cancelled prior docking reservations at their whim (as MC seems to be in a habit of doing).

NB Docking is rarely cancelled due to weather conditions (unlike tendering) and if this was the end of the cruise for OP then the ship would have had to have been scheduled for docking in MC and not tendering..

Two lady friends booked a Viking river cruise for this spring. Upon arriving for the cruise they found the rivers flooded and the cruise ships could not travel because they could not get under the bridges. Viking bused them to various cities and even put them up in hotels. But this was not what they had paid their money for. They complained. Before they disembarked they were offered a 75% credit on a future booking. Instead of telling Viking to sod off and that they were never going to travel on Viking again, these ladies are planning their next Viking river cruise. And if that one is wonderful they may be confirmed Viking travelers. IMO that's luxury cruise treatment from a non luxury cruise line. That's also potential future revenue enhancement and great good will. Who doesn't like great good will? Raise your hand .....

If the weather acts up I can see why tenders might be cancelled… but I doubt a ship would have to leave Monte Carlo and go to Genoa because of the weather.

I have some thoughts.

Monte Carlo was their last stop…they were supposed to dock there and instead they anchored. Perhaps the port authority told them they might have docking space later that day or the next morning and then changed their minds.

You can’t disembark (people plus luggage) if you are anchored so that’s why they would have to find another port where they could dock.

Interesting about Monte Carlo…on our recent Riviera cruise we were supposed dock there (June 11) and we ended up anchored.

FWIW, the only time I've been to Monte Carlo we tendered. The ride back to the ship on the tender around 2pm was the roughest I've ever been on a tender. The last tender ran around 4pm, our cruisemates were on it and scared to death. The tenders were supposed to run into the evening but were cancelled and all people still ashore were bused to another port, Villefranche I believe. The ship went there to pick them up. This was in the fall of 2009 on Insignia.

So it does happen.

Hi Everyone,

As this thread has spiralled downhill, resulting in a number of deleted posts, it's now closed. Thanks very much for your understanding.

Archived