Sorrento Tender and Capri

llarsen

Hi,

We will be on Marina this October and tender in Sorrento 8am-6pm. We would like to catch the hydrofoil or ferry as soon as we can get off the ship, and head over to Capri for the day.

I read that the ferry and hydrofoil departs from Marina Piccola, how do we get there from where the ship tenders in?

Is it walkable, or do we need a taxi to save time?

Thanks so much!

(btw, I'm asking on Oceania thread because most others dock in Naples)

Yes, very easy to find the hydrofoil from your tender pier. Marina Piccolo refers to the hydrofoil's pier in Capri, not Sorrento. Enjoy Capri - we just went (again) last June when our Silversea cruise stopped in Sorrento. We always DIY.

Same topic, different pier. We arrive at Naples and want to DIY in Capri. Is there a similar hydrofoil service, or do we need to taxi/train to Sorrento? Thanks.

Same topic, different pier. We arrive at Naples and want to DIY in Capri. Is there a similar hydrofoil service, or do we need to taxi/train to Sorrento? Thanks.

Yes, there is a big obvious hydrofoil pier in Naples right near the entrance to the cruise ship piers. It's just as easy, if not easier, to find; you can see it from your cruise ship before you even disembark! We have done Capri from both Sorrento (once) and Naples (twice), every time on our own. Very easy!

Once you arrive in Capri you can take the funicular up to Anacapri, and then you can take a little red bus even higher if you choose. I advise leaving yourself some time to explore Sorrento, which has wonderful, very reasonable shopping, unlike Capri, which consists of Gucci, Prada and Hermes stores. Capri is nice and Sorrento is delightful.

Yes, we are only in Sorrento until 6pm, so I'm hoping to be able to see a little of Sorrento.

We are traveling with friends and they would like to go back to Capri (we've never been), but to be honest...I'm hoping it's a lot better than the internet photos I've pulled up, lol

It must be, since everyone seems to rave about it.

Thanks for the Sorrento suggestion.

Hi,

We will be on Marina this October and tender in Sorrento 8am-6pm. We would like to catch the hydrofoil or ferry as soon as we can get off the ship, and head over to Capri for the day.

I read that the ferry and hydrofoil departs from Marina Piccola, how do we get there from where the ship tenders in?

Is it walkable, or do we need a taxi to save time?

Thanks so much!

(btw, I'm asking on Oceania thread because most others dock in Naples)

After putting off a visit to Capri for many years we went there last month. I learned that my previous decision was the right one, and found the island over-hyped and over-charged and over-crowded (but that was mid-June). If you have not been to Pompeii, please visit. You can also take a public bus from Sorrento for a scenic and thrilling ride along the Amalfi coast to the lovely town of Positano. There is also a ferry connection between these towns. And do take Danny's (digtexas) advice to spend some time in Sorrento.

IN order to see some of the real beauty of Capri you have to wander away from the main shopping street which is crowded and touristy. If you walk twenty minutes you will be rewarded with stunning views, residential areas, ancient villas etc.

IN order to see some of the real beauty of Capri you have to wander away from the main shopping street which is crowded and touristy. If you walk twenty minutes you will be rewarded with stunning views, residential areas, ancient villas etc.

Thank you! Completely agree. The villages of Capri / Anacapri are crowded and certainly OK, but somewhat generic. Once you leave town though, it's another story. There are beautiful sea cliffs, rock formations, caves, uncrowded trails through the woods, numerous beautiful viewpoints, fascinating Roman ruins, etc... We have been there three times and on those visits, walked nearly the entire circumference of the island. It's simply spectacular! If you don't leave the main town, you really can't say that you've experienced what the island has to offer.

Wripro and JPalbany beat me to it!

I agree totally with them, you have to walk away from the very busy, crowded "town centres" on Capri. And most day trippers do not do this.

We stayed on the island for a week couple of years back and very quickly found our way around missing out the busy crowded narrow streets. I'll have a look and post some photos for you and suggest some walks to take ... Really anywhere is not very far and if you were to keep walking and explore as we did you would be rewarded! There are some beautiful villas and vistas on the island but you have to lose the crowds and the Chanel, and the Hermes, etc etc! ;):)

Oh and here's another tip, if you want a drink, say a coffee, have it standing at the bar 1 euro, sit down at least 6 euros - but sometimes it's worth it to people watch and see who exactly goes into these high end shops and buys anything.

There is a delightful baker in Capri town and they sell the most delicious limoncello tarts, not cheap but they are just so yummy, we even took some home and enjoyed a little taste of Capri when we got back! So if you're looking for some lunch, then a trip to the local baker is a good option and then park yourself up and enjoy the views. :)

jpalbny and wripro, I agree that the side streets and trails (although we only went a short distance along a couple) were lots better than the main tourist stops, but we enjoyed Santorini a great deal more. Fortunately, everyone can have his or her favorites, and Capri just didn't do it for me.

...we enjoyed Santorini a great deal more. Fortunately, everyone can have his or her favorites, and Capri just didn't do it for me.

That's OK... There are more than enough beautiful places that each can have a favorite. Santorini is gorgeous too, and if everyone loved Capri, it would be even more crowded!

We also found Capri to be very touristy, but were surprised at how much we enjoyed Sorrento. We took the bus up to Anacapri and that was a real experience! The bus was so crowded we were standing so you couldn't see out of the windows really and the driver raced around the switchbacks up to the top of the island. I was never so glad to get off a bus. Cute, but lots of tourists and tourist shops. I realize now we should have ventured further.

We also found Capri to be very touristy, but were surprised at how much we enjoyed Sorrento. We took the bus up to Anacapri and that was a real experience! The bus was so crowded we were standing so you couldn't see out of the windows really and the driver raced around the switchbacks up to the top of the island. I was never so glad to get off a bus. Cute, but lots of tourists and tourist shops. I realize now we should have ventured further.

Calvin, we rode the little bus to Anacapri as well, also full to the brim and making hairpin turns. Admittedly, we did not stray far off the beaten path, as we did not know better, but in my mind I had always pictured Capri as very quaint, and I was disappointed to find it so upscale and full of designer stores. On the other hand, we thought that Sorrento was delightful, with very nice shopping. In fact I purchased one of those calfskin suede jackets that you see a lot of over there and my wife bought handbags, all at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Your experiences, and some photos from Pinterest, made me decide Sorrento was a great place to spend time, and skip Capri.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Your experiences, and some photos from Pinterest, made me decide Sorrento was a great place to spend time, and skip Capri.

I am not suggesting that you should skip Capri. On our fist trip to the area we did the Amalfi coast drive to Positano. Having heard of Capri my entire life and wanting to see it, we visited the island our second time in the area. Next time we will probably go to Pompeii.

I am happy that I got to experience Capri, and we enjoyed it. It just was different than I expected. You can ride the hovercraft over and take a look around and still have time to enjoy Sorrento.

Whatever you choose, this is a beautiful part of the world and I hope that you enjoy it.

I am not suggesting that you should skip Capri. On our fist trip to the area we did the Amalfi coast drive to Positano. Having heard of Capri my entire life and wanting to see it, we visited the island our second time in the area. Next time we will probably go to Pompeii.

I am happy that I got to experience Capri, and we enjoyed it. It just was different than I expected. You can ride the hovercraft over and take a look around and still have time to enjoy Sorrento.

Whatever you choose, this is a beautiful part of the world and I hope that you enjoy it.

Agree. And don't miss the limoncello!

Thank you, all, for your valuable insights on Capri! My sister and I will be going to Sorrento for a week after our Baltic cruise next month and will arrange with our host, Andrea, to take us there in his boat for the day!

Can't wait for this exciting trip!!!!!

Donna

• 3 years later...

Since the last post in this thread is from 2013, I'm wondering if anyone has visited this port more recently. Where does the tender leave us? Are there any shore excursions you would particularly recommend? Where are the best areas to walk around?

Thanks

n

EXCELLENT choice! Sorrento is my favorite small city in Italy - actually it's more of a large town than city with one or two main streets/alleys. Great for walking. Since you will be there for the day, do take the walk down to Marina Grande, the old fishermen's village. Very picturesque. Also we've taken the bus to Positano - a hair=raising ride as has been mentioned - walking down its narrow, winding alleys down to the sea. Our return trips are via ferry back to Sorrento, our temporary 'home' at the time.

We have enjoyed Sorrento so very much that at the conclusion of three of our cruises we have stayed in a villa on the sea overlooking Marina Piccolo and Vesuvius with Naples in the further distance.

Donna

Didn't realize this was an older thread, but my opinion is still the same and appropriate to the question currently being asked