What is HAL's policy on "powerboards"?

shrimp56

I was wandering around CC and bumped into this thread on the P&O forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1876773

I am understanding "powerboards" to be what we call power strips in the states. I took a 2 outlet surge protector last time, but never used it because we also have a lot of the two round pin European adapters hanging around that enabled us to use both outlets at once.

Does HAL have a stated policy?

I believe that in the "Know before you go" booklet it states that HAL will supply you with a power strip if you need one..However I would suggest you go to the front office immediately on embarkation to get one or ask your Steward, as I'm sure they have a limited supply..

You can access the "Know before you go " on the HAL WEB site..

Cheers...Betty

I was wandering around CC and bumped into this thread on the P&O forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1876773

I am understanding "powerboards" to be what we call power strips in the states. I took a 2 outlet surge protector last time, but never used it because we also have a lot of the two round pin European adapters hanging around that enabled us to use both outlets at once.

Does HAL have a stated policy?

Having generated power onboard ships for 37 years, including 4 years on cruise ships, I believe the main reason that lines are banning "power strips" has to do with "surge protectors". First, power strips or extension cords must be in perfect condition or they are deemed a fire hazard. The power strip that is a hard case with 5-6 outlets at the end of an extension cord are usually fine, and that is what HAL probably provides. These generally have an on/off switch, which is also a circuit breaker.

Ship's wiring is not the same as shoreside US wiring. If you like, I can cut and paste my technical explanation about the "floating ground" that all ships have to eliminate stray current in the hull, which promotes corrosion of the steel. Suffice it to say that a surge protector connects the "live" wiring to the ground wiring (as it is designed to do for shore application), but this causes alarms in the engine room of ships, and also increases the stray currents flowing through the hull. So, generally, a power strip without a surge protector would be acceptable, but HAL may not want to have to inspect one for every customer.

Well I sure don't want to set off an alarm in the engine room. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll just bring a Euro-adapter for the second outlet, which I will need for The Netherlands and France anyway.

Well I sure don't want to set off an alarm in the engine room. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll just bring a Euro-adapter for the second outlet, which I will need for The Netherlands and France anyway.

Yes, a European round pin to US flat pin adapter will allow you to use the 220v outlet on most electronics chargers (just check for the 100-240v label on the charger body).

Having generated power onboard ships for 37 years, including 4 years on cruise ships, I believe the main reason that lines are banning "power strips" has to do with "surge protectors". First, power strips or extension cords must be in perfect condition or they are deemed a fire hazard. The power strip that is a hard case with 5-6 outlets at the end of an extension cord are usually fine, and that is what HAL probably provides. These generally have an on/off switch, which is also a circuit breaker.

Ship's wiring is not the same as shoreside US wiring. If you like, I can cut and paste my technical explanation about the "floating ground" that all ships have to eliminate stray current in the hull, which promotes corrosion of the steel. Suffice it to say that a surge protector connects the "live" wiring to the ground wiring (as it is designed to do for shore application), but this causes alarms in the engine room of ships, and also increases the stray currents flowing through the hull. So, generally, a power strip without a surge protector would be acceptable, but HAL may not want to have to inspect one for every customer.

Thank you so very much for this thorough explanation from someone who knows what he's talking about. It was simple enough that even I can understand it, but is detailed enough that I can see you know what you are talking about.

Archived